The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #166
lookout123
changed his status to single

you, sir, are a fucking idiot. soldiers are soldiers the world over. your rules of engagement may read nice and neat so you feel good about them in your warm, cozy, safe life, but i'm telling you that british soldiers are just as ruthless and horrible as us americans. i speak from first hand experience. but you go ahead and keep getting all your best ideas from "the beeb".
Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #167
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

TBH, I would be extremely disappointed if our British soldiers were not as least as ruthless and horrible as yours..... when the need arises. And that, of course, is the crux of the matter.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:03 AM   #168
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
that, and this,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/6193620.stm

is why I deplore Americans.
what a stupid thing to say. does it not seem stupid to you? how can anyone respect a single post you make after something like this? you deplore Americans because of some shit that happened involving americans in a war theatre? you deplore Americans? Bullshi------it. You don't deplore americans. you are obviously unqualified to make an accurate judgement. You may think you deplore us, but i suspect that you simply envy us.

dickless.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 AM   #169
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Can I at this point, rather publicly, distance myself from my 'compatriot'.

Quote:
As for the Brits, ever since Bloody Sunday our rules of engagement have been very rigerous. It's a difference in attitude and training.
Rules of engagement may well be rigorous, but individual soldiers still fuck up and fuck up badly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4698251.stm
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #170
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Australians just blow themselves up.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #171
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah,....well British soldiers still have a rather annoying habit of shooting their own men. "friendly fire".
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #172
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

funny thread.....

john wayne motherfuckers
Old 07-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #173
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I was in the middle of reading this article: "SUVs on road to nowhere" when this thread popped up. The comments at the end of the article put the earlier SUV debate in this thread into a different perspective.

The article opens:

Quote:
Might as well hold services right here in the driveway of the Thielke family of Aurora, where their hulking, 10.5-mile-per-gallon Ford Excursion is on fire sale with few takers and is soon to be replaced by a less greedy minivan.

Killed by insanely high gas prices and a general cultural embarrassment, the SUV leaves lots of survivors but fewer and fewer friends.

"We're kind of in a pickle. We need a large car, but it's killing us," Erin Thielke, mother of eight, said of the family's $100-plus weekly gas bill. "It stinks. It's just like throwing money away."
Here are a few of the 232 comments posted so far:

Quote:
Bigger isn't better or safer and most definitely not necessary. My sympathy for gas guzzling SUV owners is short lived. On multiple occasions I was almost run-over by an cell phone talking, SUV drivers who quite literally acted as if they owned the road and the rest of us just had to deal. SUV's owners fondness for buying, owning and using them a child like tantrum screaming "but I want that". There is a difference between want and need (what a concept!). That its taken sustained $3.00+ a gallon gas prices to get SUV owners to stop pitching a preverbial fit shows thier arrogance and immaturity. ...
Quote:
So, Ms. Thielke did her part by contributing to the overpopulation of the planet, global warming, and soaring oil prices by having eight children and buying a 10.5 mpg land yacht. She must be so proud of herself.
Quote:
Oh puhleeeeze, no more sob stories about the short-sighted fools who bought into the SUV craze. You will get no sympathy from me. These idiots made their own bed, and now they're whining because they have to lay it.
Quote:
8 CHILDREN?
Hey, nothing against having kids, but come on...
That's not a family, that's a litter.
How many decades have we been talking about overpopulation, pollution, diminishing fossil fuels, and so on....
She's the poster child for our national, arrogant, gluttonous overconsumption.
Hard to have pity.
What was she thinking?
Quote:
Eight kids sitting on a land yacht feeling entitled to "the good life" and a house-proud nit wit standing in front of it and living in the burbs beyond the horizon. If this isn't the perfect picture of what the rest of the world despises about us, then please tell me what is. And yes, I practice what I believe and live in my city within three blocks in three direction of just about everything I need to purchase. I drive a 13-year-old Suzuki, own an 800 square foot house, and I have spawned one child. How can some people sleep at night? Eight kids!!!
And my favorite:

Quote:
car in many Indonesian people is just a dream, including me.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #174
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I practice what I believe and live in my city within three blocks in three direction of just about everything I need to purchase. I drive a 13-year-old Suzuki, own an 800 square foot house, and I have spawned one child.
Loser. :p
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #175
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I suppose I do have some pity for people who could afford the children when they had them, but rising fuel and food costs mean they have to lower their standard of living. I'm not going to say anything about the cost of living US vs UK because it's apples and oranges. And on the internet there is no difference in nationality anyway.

So I have some pity, but not an awful lot. If you want children and you had children then you love your children and would do anything for them.

Children don't need to be pampered to be loved. They deal with shortages better than adults, as long as they feel secure. Nothing wrong with having 8 children, just don't whine about it. Kids get picked up for school in the US don't they? Every other trip is elective (in a harsh world I mean!)
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #176
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Here are a few of the 232 comments posted so far:
Gosh, these people sound just as judgmental as a bunch of christians righteously gay bashing don't they.

You want to have few or no kids, live in small house, drive a small car, take up a small footprint etc, then be my guest. You'll get just as much admiration from me an anyone else who has integrity / isn't a hypocrite. If you're doing it for bragging rights, or so you can look down your nose at others, like all the people who posted haughty comments about other people's lives and decisions.... well, your opinion maybe isn't worth as much as you think it is...

Quote:
car in many Indonesian people is just a dream, including me.
Yeah, I have a car but dream about living on a tropical island, what's your point?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #177
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

To me, it indicates that a lot of people want to be just like us.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #178
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I sought out this thread to update on the mangled Jeep, but wasted 45 minutes rereading it.

i still think jay is dickless, by the way.

Anyhow, I got a call from the appraiser, and the Jeep is too buried in snow for him to get a good look. he's sending us a check for $5219 which he thinks is about 2/3 of the damage...... I hope he's right about that.......

Concerned about the tires, though....he says they prorate them...and if I have to have 2 tires replaced....and only get half their value..... PLUS, it's all wheel drive, and I don't want differing diameter tires on it. they are big meaty mud terrains, and new ones might be as much as a 1/2" taller.....that will add up quickly and mean different twist speeds on the axles going into the transfer case. I may find that I have to replace all 4 tires. I think I need to talk to the body shop guy and see if he can get new tires included in his estimate. this shouldn't be costing us a red cent in my opinion.

damn it
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #179
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Fight Jim Fight!
The insurance company only wanted to pay me for a rental car for a week to ten days. Then they wanted me to pay first and they would reimburse me. Uh, no thats not how it works when you are the victim. Additionally, they wanted MY credit card at the rental place "just in case." I told them to call the insurance company contact and ask for HIS credit card. That took care of that.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #180
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Insurance companies will screw you at the first moment of weakness. Just don't let them close the case or sign anything until they make your vehicle "Whole". They have a responsibility to do that by law. Good luck. We are still dealing with ours after an accident at Thanksgiving and them keeping the car until last week to try to fix it.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote