Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #166
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The Alaska ethics investigation report is due 4 days before the election.
It will be delayed. [/fearless prediction]
Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #167
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Pfffft! Facts? Facts can be used to prove anything.
u r 1 funnee mofo~!!!11
Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #168
lookout123
changed his status to single

Whatever. The facts are already known and admitted to by the parties involved. They are just investigating to find out if she was wrong in her actions, or not. Anyway, that issue isn't going to make anyone like or dislike her anymore than they would have anyway.

Her sister was married to a cop and in a custody dispute. The cop had abused her in the past and there were some other issues with him that you might not like to be swirling around a cop. His boss chose not to discipline him, so the boss got removed from his job. Palin's hack took fell on his sword and promptly said he did it on his own without her involvement. Whatever. stupid move but nothing unusual in the world of politics unfortunately.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #169
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Translation: Palin's sister was divorcing a cop and she wanted to make sure she got the kids, so rather than try to do it fairly in court, she made up stories of abuse, and had her sister fire the guy. When his commander refused to fire him, she had the commander fired and replaced . The new guy quit soon after being appointed the replacement.

Now Palin is caught with her hand in the "abuse of power" cookie jar.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #170
lookout123

yeah, that could be it too. i wasn't there personally so just basing my statements on what is readily available. Now that I've thought about it a little more I think you're probably right.

Palin is a republican so the chances of her sister being honest are next to nil. And really, I seriously doubt a cop would ever hit his wife. This all started as a plot to invade another country. Chances are he came home and caught that whore he'd married banging some republican stooge so he'd vote for her sister. The upstanding cop was so sickened at the thought of republican corruption that he had no choice to speak loudly at his wife while admonishing her republican whoring about. She, being a republican and a whore, (probably a crackhead and parttime lesbian too, but I digress) quickly seized at this opportunity and called Karl Rove to come hit her a few times so she'd be able to convince her sister that the husband was in fact an abusive bastard who she caught trying to sell Uranium to the...

oh fuck it, i'm just not as good as you at hating. Radar, you talk as if truth and facts are all you and right thinking libertarians care about but you spread more bullshit and innuendo than even most D's and R's.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #171
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
oh fuck it, i'm just not as good as you at hating. Radar, you talk as if truth and facts are all you and right thinking libertarians care about but you spread more bullshit and innuendo than even most D's and R's.
Don't blame yourself. Few have my capacity for hate. Also, don't hate the player, hate the game. The Democrats & Republicans invented smear campaigns. I'm just using their own tactics against them.

Seriously though, I've seen people make up terrible things during a divorce... like allegations of abuse (sexual or physical) on the wife or kids.

Let's look at the two stories and see which seems more logical from an objective viewpoint.

1) A cop beat his wife and abused her, and her sister just happens to be governor and she attempts to get him fired only because of this alleged abuse and not because he was in a nasty divorce with her sister.

or

2) A cop and his wife were getting a divorce and things got ugly, so she called her sister, the governor, and asked her to get this guy fired on the grounds of spousal abuse.

I think option 2 sounds more believable. Not because this women is a bible-thumping, disgusting neocon who stupidly believes evolution is fake, but simply because it's just more plausible.

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere between. In either case, it is an ethical violation for her sister to try to get the guy fired.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #172
lookout123

if that's the way it went down it's an ethical violation. ok? next.

obama couldn't afford to buy the mansion he wanted so he entered into a shady real estate deal. ok? next.

neither of these issues is enough to eliminate them from public office. politicians aren't squeaky clean. life isn't black and white like you want to believe, so it's up to us to look at the whole picture and weigh out the pros and cons we see with a candidate and sift it through our own priorities and values. At the end of that process you'll find you can only support one of the candidates and you'll probably have to hold your nose a little while you do. welcome to politics. what you fail to accept is that 2 reasonably intelligent, rational people can look at the same information and come to different conclusions without any mental defficiency. that blindness is a problem that afflicts an awful lot of hardcore, rabid party desciples whether they be R,D, or L.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #173
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

OK, how many people here are parents who have children who sometimes do things they'd rather they didn't? Or...shock horror...do things completely opposite to the way they've been raised for the usual teenage reasons?

Is it your fault as a parent? Maybe although I tend to believe that taking a different path to your parents is part of the growing process and there are things to be learned by both the child and the parent from the experience.

If kids never bothered doing things contrary to what their parents 'brought them up to believe', we'd all still be either living in the garden of Eden, or in caves (depending on your belief system).
Old 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #174
Aliantha

As to the situation with Palin, if I were American her actions wouldn't affect how I'd vote anyway. Surely you all know that the person in the top job is just a mouth piece by now anyway right? They do what the party tells them or they get dumped. They're all human and make mistakes. If they've done something that causes them to be fired in due course, then so be it. Unfortunately the nature of politics dictates that the little people must leave it to the big dogs to sort it out.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #175
warch
lurkin old school

Have you looked at Cheney's Vice Presidency? He's been pretty active and powerful for the last 8 years, enabling him to perplex many in his own party. I'm just saying that it actually is a position of power, if the executive maneuvers it so.

Oh, and I couldn't care less about the daughters, neither Palins or Cheney's!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #176
Aliantha

Fair enough Warch. You're right in that regard, so maybe she would have power to enact her evil plans.

I doubt they could be too much more evil than Cheney's though could they?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #177
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The Democrats & Republicans invented smear campaigns. I'm just using their own tactics against them.
And how's that work on the Cellar and in real life? Now your credibility is shot. Where do you go from there?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #178
warch
lurkin old school

Quote:
I doubt they could be too much more evil than Cheney's though could they?
Yeah, but sometimes you risk not overt evil, just incompetence. Which is worse? The whole election circus should work to help voters weigh and balance ideologies with the skills of practice in reality-based sausage making of governance, particularly during a time of global war. Obama/Biden seems more balanced in that regard to me, than McCain/Palin.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #179
Aliantha

I'd be voting for Obama/Biden if I had the chance. I don't though, so I just have to leave my future in the hands of the people who do have the chance.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #180
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Here's an idea, I'll auction my vote to one of you for'ners. Ali to Zengum, I've got you covered.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote