The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #211
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Welcome back Quzah. Have a nice weekend?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #212
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
      Welcome back Quzah. Have a nice weekend?
Yeah, not too bad. Went over to Seattle, visited my sister. Hung out for a bit, had a good time.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:37 PM   #213
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
If you really believe that they would choose to be spayed with you, do this:

1) Get a new born kitten.
2) Install a cat door.
3) Do not sterilize your cat.
4) Be amazed when your cat comes and goes as it pleases, running around the neighborhood mating at every oportunity.

You see, you are flat out wrong. Your animal would not choose to be sterilized. Period. No animal would choose sterlization. Since LB is so big on biology, this should be crystal clear. Remember "hard wired"? Well no animal on earth would choose sterilization, especially since the sterilization done commonly would alter their normal behavior.

You can pretend all you want that they'd like it, but the fact is, you're wrong. No animal would opt for this. It goes against their "hard wiring".

No animal would choose to be spayed or nutering. Period. You're kidding yourself if you say you believe otherwise.

That being said, I have never said it was a bad thing to keep the "pet population" under control. I simply stated that no animal would choose the operation. It is asanine to believe so.

Quzah.
I agree with Quzah here, up to a point, which is:

The animal can't choose. It can't tell us whether or not it opts for it. I believe before the bitchfest started and points were being made, someone made a post about (...anthro....humano... that word where we make animals seem human....morpha sumfin...)-ing them, but the fact is they don't have a choice.

As their caretakers, we choose for them. I choose to spay and neuter my pets because I believe it's the humane and responsible thing to do.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:51 PM   #214
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
...someone made a post about (...anthro....humano... that word where we make animals seem human....morpha sumfin...)-ing them...
Onyx, I'm trying with all my might to only observe this conversation so as NOT to ensue another "bitchfest", but for edification purposes only, the word your looking for is anthropomorphism which in the context of this discussion means attributing human characteristics to animals
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:55 PM   #215
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Yeah, what you said. Thanks, Luv.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:17 PM   #216
juju
no one of consequence

I believe the point was, if they could choose, hypothetically, would they? And the answer, of course, is no. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 PM   #217
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"Boy, you have a choice. You can have your nuts cut off, and live here with us in total comfort for the next fifteen years, with your every need attended to. You'll have a fortune in toys and loving attention, and absolutely the best medical care. Or, you can keep those nuts and take your chances with a week at the pound. You're kinda cute so maybe you have a 10% chance of being adopted before you get gassed. Of course your new owners might not be as nice as we are. We give you free will for a moment, what is your choice?"
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:20 PM   #218
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Woof, face lick, face lick.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #219
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
"Boy, you have a choice. You can have your nuts cut off, and live here with us in total comfort for the next fifteen years, with your every need attended to. You'll have a fortune in toys and loving attention, and absolutely the best medical care. Or, you can keep those nuts and take your chances with a week at the pound. You're kinda cute so maybe you have a 10% chance of being adopted before you get gassed. Of course your new owners might not be as nice as we are. We give you free will for a moment, what is your choice?"
Ah, there you see, this would be considered "under duress", and as such, wouldn't hold up in a court of law.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 11:49 PM   #220
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I just saw on the news a woman adopted a Doberman from a rescue site 10 days ago. Tonight it mauled her to death. I wonder if she was offering that same choice?
Old 09-09-2003, 12:00 AM   #221
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

So, UT, might I ask about your teenage years? I'm sure you stayed home happy and warm with all the comforts that entails. Certainly you never made any bad decisions like going out and chasing after any stray females, right?
      Of course you didn't. Otherwise you're assuming that animals are smarter than you.
      Me? I figure the animals would make the same instictive decision most youths I knew did. "Screw the 'wise choice' lets go out fight, get laid and have a great night out." My particular group actually tried to avoid the first part and focused on the second two parts. Also, we knew what we were doing was stupid and involved enormous risks. But our instincs said "do it" and so we did.
[Edit]       My point is to suggest that animals might go the same route. I know I'd put money on it.

Last edited by Whit; 09-09-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:04 AM   #222
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hey, I bagged several eligible females during my breeding peak, and these were excellent decisions, as was the phenomenal decision never to bag one without birth controls.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:54 AM   #223
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

I've got two kids and in both cases we were using birth control. Birth control doesn't eliminate the risk, it just reduces it. Read the damn instructions, they even say so.
      Regardless, you make my point. The animal, is you could explain the situation to it, would not choose to be spayed/neutered in most cases. I'm not saying it's not an excellent for us human to have our pets fixed. But the arguement was that the animal would choose it. Nope, don't buy it. And from what you say of you own history, neither do you.