The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-16-2003, 07:46 PM   #226
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Warned you didn't I
Old 01-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #227
dave

Funnily enough, I didn't realize you had it until after I decided to get it. I first came around to it via the review at http://xbox.ign.com - I totally agree with these guys on just about everything, and when they gave it a 9.6 (second only to Halo with a 9.7), and I read the review... well, I knew I had to have it. When I came back and read this thread some more, I saw your mention of it and I was like "yeah! Another guy likes this game. I <b>have</b> to get it."

After the house fire, Giles and Matt bought me an Xbox, a TV and... Splinter Cell (I had been raving about how I had to get it). After playing it the first time, I was hooked.

The game is truly great in every way. At the beginning, even the training seems stupidly difficult. I started a new game at Level 6 (just to see how I would do) and I flew through the training in about 5 minutes. The game really progresses nicely challenge-wise (though the shootouts in the 7th and 9th missions can be frustrating), such that by the time you get to something, you have learned enough to know how to approach it. Simply put, it's one of the most well-designed games I've ever played.

Everything about it is stunning. As I've said before, this game alone is worth having an Xbox for. It's <b>that</b> good.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:07 PM   #228
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Everything about it is stunning. As I've said before, this game alone is worth having an Xbox for. It's <b>that</b> good.
Well, it IS coming to the PS2 in a couple of months, so I'm not lusting for an Xbox just yet...
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 10:21 PM   #229
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I have a feeling the PS2 version won't be able to quite capture the essence of the xbox version. The ps2 just doesn't have the lighting cababilities that the Xbox has. And that game relies so much on the lighting that any degrading of it will almost ruin it. It is coming to PC though and we all know that version will kick ass on a high powered machine.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:30 PM   #230
dave

The thing I am worried about in the PC version is the control system. The game is suited perfectly toward analog sticks, both for targeting and for movement. The mouse is going to ruin that, I think.

As far as PS2... yeah, I think the graphics are gonna get hardcore fucked there, which will be a shame, because the game is absolutely beautiful. I think the optimal platform for it would be a high-end PC (see the Über-Über Box thread) with a PS2 controller (I still prefer it over everything else). If the PC version supports the use of external game pads with analog function *and* there's a PS2->PC controller adaptor... that would be how I'd want to play it.

Except that you really want it on a big ass TV to fully enjoy it.

Okay, the ideal setup for it is on a 36" Wega with 5.1 surround (man it sounds amazing) and an Xbox.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:19 AM   #231
perth
Strong Silent Type

so i finally picked up a ps2 with baldurs gate: dark alliance. that game is a blast, and my wife will actually play it with me, which is a bonus. i think im going to pick up gta3 in a week or two, and maybe tekken. does anyone know any decent baseball games for the ps2? i was always a fan of the world series baseball games, but that one is an xbox exclusive this year, and im not buying an xbox for one game.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:13 AM   #232
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
so i finally picked up a ps2 with baldurs gate: dark alliance. that game is a blast, and my wife will actually play it with me, which is a bonus. i think im going to pick up gta3 in a week or two, and maybe tekken. does anyone know any decent baseball games for the ps2? i was always a fan of the world series baseball games, but that one is an xbox exclusive this year, and im not buying an xbox for one game.

~james
Look for All-Star Baseball 2003 (by, startlingly enough, Acclaim) or High Heat MLB 2003 (by 3DO). Approach MLB Slugfest 2003 as you would approach an angry rattlesnake, or a person in robes at the airport who wants to hand you some pamphlets and tell you about his religion.

Baldur's Gate is a good first-wave RPG. I'm in RPG overload at the moment; I finished Legaia 2 (mildly recommended), am halfway through Wild Arms 3 (more strongly recommended) and have Kingdom Hearts (on sale for $39.99 at CompUSA) and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (found used at FYE for $19.99, OLD OLD school crunchy goodness) on standby.

You can't lose with GTA3, and playing it before GTA: Vice is not a bad idea. The latter is playable without familiarity with the former, but you'll miss many nuances of the sequel without it.

Both Tekken Tag Tournament and Virtua Fighter 4 come cheap these days. I vastly prefer the latter, a fun-to-play-but-extremely-difficult-to-master triumph of game design, but Tekken's pick-it-up-and-play simplicity also has its charms.

Further suggestions provided upon request; name your genre.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:18 AM   #233
perth
Strong Silent Type

well, i like certain rpgs, im very picky there. im very resistant to finaly fantasy x, as ive been unimpressed with the series since ff3 on the snes (well, 9 was okay, but i know im in hte minority on that). i was thinking of picking up nhl 2k3 (i like baseball and hockey games), but what im really looking for are games i can get my wife to play with me. she likes puzzle games a lot. she liked super puzzle fighter on the ps1. i think puzzle bobble is out on ps2, which would be good.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:46 AM   #234
Cam
dripping with ignorance

For baseball games this year, EA's completely redoing their game, renaming it's franchise and it's looking pretty promising so far. All star baseball was great on the N64, I havn't played it on the new generation of consoles but I'm sure it's tons of fun.
And if I remember correctly, no time to look it up right now, but I think World Series baseball is coming out on all platforms soon. It was an X-box exclusive for last season but I thought I remember hearing it was heading for all platforms for the new season.

I'd check out some party games(like mario party), I don't know what the ps2 has for them, but they seem to hook everyone, even people who despise video games find them enjoyable once you talk them into playing them.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #235
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
well, i like certain rpgs, im very picky there. im very resistant to finaly fantasy x, as ive been unimpressed with the series since ff3 on the snes (well, 9 was okay, but i know im in hte minority on that). i was thinking of picking up nhl 2k3 (i like baseball and hockey games), but what im really looking for are games i can get my wife to play with me. she likes puzzle games a lot. she liked super puzzle fighter on the ps1. i think puzzle bobble is out on ps2, which would be good.

~james
There are two Super Bust-A-Move (nee Puzzle Bobble) games for the PS2, which are almost exactly like every other Puzzle Bobble game ever created. (Not that that is a bad thing -- at last count, I own eight for various systems, and that's not even counting the NeoGeo versions I have on MAME.)

Consider Frequency, a music-action game with multiplayer. Those who "get it" find it insanely addictive; I haven't had that epiphany yet, but I am trying to learn. The PS2 is rather short of puzzle games apart from that -- you're left with Aqua Aqua (Wetrix sequel), Egg Mania (so-so Tetris variant) and PS1 games (there's always Mr. Driller).

My wife plays GTA3 and GTA:Vice, but that's my wife, and yours may find sniping and skidding over pedestrians less appealing...

Note for reference: Super Puzzle Fighter 2 is coming to the Game Boy Advance next month. Expect America's national productivity to grind to a halt soon afterwards.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:09 AM   #236
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
I'd check out some party games(like mario party), I don't know what the ps2 has for them, but they seem to hook everyone, even people who despise video games find them enjoyable once you talk them into playing them.
Oh, jeez, don't go there. The PS2's lone entry in that field is Shrek Super Party, which is a screeching horror of Biblical proportions. This is where you take advantage of the PS2's backwards-compatibility and dig up PS1 games like Poy Poy, Incredible Crisis, SPF2T, Buster Bros. Anthology, Intelligent Qube or the Point Blank series.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:50 AM   #237
dave

I wrote a long post here, and I <b>swear</b> I posted it, not just previewed. Did it get deleted or did I somehow fuck it up?
Old 03-28-2003, 10:05 AM   #238
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Guys, maybe you can help here.

One of my friends has an xbox.

Four of us (all female, and I'm the only one who likes shooting things in the head) get together on a regular basis to play with the thing. On occasion we'll pick a one player game and trade off the controller whenever someone dies spectacularly, but that's not as much fun as hacking away on a multiplayer game.

We had a great time playing (and finishing, much to my astonishment .. not that it was difficult, just that it took a long time) Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.

We are looking for a new game that we can all play together but have thus far been unsuccessful.

We did rent some game that was LIKE Gauntlet, only with better graphics, cool looking characters (basically street punks with magic), zombies, gargoyles coming to life, all the things that make such a game great, but the degree of difficulty was too high for the gang ... when you can't make it out o the first (actual, the one past training) level after 5 uninterrupted hours of playing the game, you get discouraged. I forget the name of that game, but it had something to do with vampires.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (yes, we could go for Mario Party because she has a 'cube, and probably will eventually, but we had kind of gotten into the magickal monster bashing in gauntlet, even if it was kinda lame, so that's the standard of comparison for the other girls.)

Our only type at a fighting game was Xena: Talisman of Fate on the N64, and that only lasted for one session, and I think we only played as long as we did because of the familiarity of the characters. I might suggest trying another fighter if they bring out a Star Wars based one, cuz everybody LOVES a lightsaber, but otherwise, it's probably not an option. These are new age chicks here ... they get upset when people are not cooperative about something. (you should have seen the "no, it's your turn to take the treasure" arguments when we played Gauntlet.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 03-28-2003 at 10:09 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:19 AM   #239
dave

Bloodrayne?
Old 03-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #240
dave

To actually answer your question, I've had a lot of fun with <b>Fuzion Frenzy</b>, which can probably be had cheap these days. You would almost certainly enjoy <b>Splinter Cell</b> if you can borrow the Xbox from her.