The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #226
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Yes, eventually there was more than a kick in the head involved. However, if you have seen the WHOLE video, then you also see what Rodney King did that required the police to take him down.
If you want to discuss the Rodney King case, perhaps you should start a new thread...
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 AM   #227
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Makes one wonder what? Wire services, newspapers and TV stations aren't necessarily good sources.
But dontcha think they're maybe just a bit more credible than websites run by lobbyists for the meat industry and hunting magazines?

What is, in your opinion, a completely credible source? Fox News?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #228
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Don't call me when you keel over from obesity, lung cancer and heart disease.

Have fun!
Hmm...explain then those who have smoked, ate meat and wasn't in the best shape possible and have lived long, happy lives. Or...better yet explain those who have done all the things they were "supposed" to do regarding health, and are dead now.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #229
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysycamore
Hmm...explain then those who have smoked, ate meat and wasn't in the best shape possible and have lived long, happy lives. Or...better yet explain those who have done all the things they were "supposed" to do regarding health, and are dead now.
Because I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I can't explain those things. We all know that smoking and eating a high-fat diet are bad for you health. Do you deny that? Sure there are people who lived long lives despite their poor habits (including my grandmother). But the VAST majority of scientific evidence proves that these lifestyle choices are bad for you and will shorten you life. In many cases, they will also destroy your quality of life. My gradmother lived into her eighties even though she smoked and and had a poor diet. She was also completely miserable and was bedridden with emphysema for the last decade of her life. Hey, you can smoke and drink and eat meat all you want--it's your decision, and you might live a long life. You are putting yourself at risk, though.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #230
ladysycamore

Quote:
Because I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I can't explain those things. We all know that smoking and eating a high-fat diet are bad for you health. Do you deny that?
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm..no. Never said that, so why ask?

Quote:
Sure there are people who lived long lives despite their poor habits (including my grandmother). But the VAST majority of scientific evidence proves that these lifestyle choices are bad for you and will shorten you life. In many cases, they will also destroy your quality of life. My gradmother lived into her eighties even though she smoked and and had a poor diet. She was also completely miserable and was bedridden with emphysema for the last decade of her life. Hey, you can smoke and drink and eat meat all you want--it's your decision, and you might live a long life. You are putting yourself at risk, though.
Just saying there is really no need to preach to the choir. Everyone has choices to make and they certainly don't need someone "at their necks" to warn them about the dangers of the choices they make.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #231
garnet

Quote:
Just saying there is really no need to preach to the choir. Everyone has choices to make and they certainly don't need someone "at their necks" to warn them about the dangers of the choices they make.
I'm not "preaching" to anyone. I personally could care less how you live your life, and I don't waste my time telling people what to do.

You asked me a question in your post about health, and I answered it with my opinion. If you don't want me to give you an honest answer, perhaps you shouldn't be asking.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:51 AM   #232
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Because I'm not a scientist or a doctor, I can't explain those things. .... Hey, you can smoke and drink and eat meat all you want--it's your decision, and you might live a long life. You are putting yourself at risk, though.
Please don't equate smoking with drinking and eating meat without using the appropriate qualifiers. We've been thru this already haven't we?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #233
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
You are putting yourself at risk, though.
You put yourself at risk for cancer merely by going out into the sunlight, and breathing the air, inside and outside. Everything carries risks, everything. Might as well enjoy your choices while you can. If you don't enjoy your choices, then make changes.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #234
ladysycamore

Quote:
I'm not "preaching" to anyone.
Well, IMO, when one is constantly reinterating the "dangers" of certain things, it tends to come off a bit "preachy" sometimes. Just pointing that out.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #235
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I'm not "preaching" to anyone. I personally could care less how you live your life, and I don't waste my time telling people what to do.
That's pretty much how you've spent your time since arriving, whether it's related to food, putting down a pet, or just about anything else.

'Nuff Said.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #236
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
If you want to discuss the Rodney King case, perhaps you should start a new thread...
So thread drift/hijacking is okay when you do it, and not when someone condradicts your belief.

mmmmkay.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #237
garnet

Quote:
So thread drift/hijacking is okay when you do it, and not when someone condradicts your belief.

mmmmkay.
When did I hijack this thread? I used the Rodney King video as a an anlogy to make a point about a PETA video. You guys started analyzing the RK video for no particular reason. I think that would qualify as "thread hijacking."
Old 08-19-2004, 01:44 PM   #238
garnet

Quote:
That's pretty much how you've spent your time since arriving, whether it's related to food, putting down a pet, or just about anything else.

'Nuff Said.
Like I said, I don't give a shit how you live your life--that's your problem. This is a FORUM where people post their OPINIONS. That is what I've done, and if you don't like my posts, perhaps you should not read them. That, too, is a CHOICE you can make. I obviously aggravate the hell out of you, and I've probably raised your already-too-high blood pressure. I will post as much as I feel like it--you don't intimidate me and never will.

'Nuff said.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #239
garnet

Quote:
Well, IMO, when one is constantly reinterating the "dangers" of certain things, it tends to come off a bit "preachy" sometimes. Just pointing that out.
YOU are the one who asked ME a question!!!!! see below:

"Hmm...explain then those who have smoked, ate meat and wasn't in the best shape possible and have lived long, happy lives. Or...better yet explain those who have done all the things they were "supposed" to do regarding health, and are dead now."

Why do you ask me a question if you don't want me to answer it? I gave you an answer that was my opinion, so now I'm preaching? Maybe you shouldn't me ask anymore questions, and better yet, maybe you should join Wolf and stop reading my posts if I'm aggravating you so much with my "preaching."

Last edited by garnet; 08-19-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #240
ladysycamore

Quote:
YOU are the one who asked ME a question!!!!!

I gave you an answer that was my opinion, so now I'm preaching? Maybe you shouldn't me ask anymore questions, and better yet, maybe you should join Wolf and stop reading my posts if I'm aggravating you so much with my "preaching."
Whoa whoa whoa...slow your roll.

First of all, no need to shout and second of all, you can't dictate what people can and can not say (which was implied by you demanding me to stop reading posts). Sounds like you are the one who is aggravated here, not I. I've been nothing but calm and otherwise polite while making my comments to you.

All I did was make an observation: sometimes, when people constantly repeat things like warnings, etc., it just comes across as being preachy...that's all. *shrugs* No big deal.

Quote:

"This is a FORUM where people post their OPINIONS"..." I will post as much as I feel like it"

Precisely. Good day.