The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #226
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Now those appointed, and everything they have done in the past year, is null and void.
If they deport your gardener is everything he did null and void?
At least someone was running the show, while congress was playing who's on first.

I don't think anyone can argue with McCaffery, that the tax code is totally fucked up.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #227
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If they deport your gardener is everything he did null and void?
At least someone was running the show, while congress was playing who's on first.

I don't think anyone can argue with McCaffery, that the tax code is totally fucked up.
If your gardener was a department head in the Federal gov't, who needed to be confirmed, and was not, then yepper!

Members of Congress were home for Christmas - except for the few needed to keep the Congress in a pro forma session. Obama has plenty of working days to make his recommended appointments to Congress. He is the very first President to ever "proclaim" that a Congress was not in session, over the stated fact of the matter. Congressional sessions are not a small matter. Neither house of Congress can stop a session, without the approval of the other house.

On the gun limiting bill, so far the Feinstein bill to ban some hundred plus models of firearms, doesn't have enough votes to pass - 51 and doesn't nearly have enough votes to override a Republican/Conservative filibuster - 60. For right now it's a no-go. There may be a consensus reached on limiting the capacity of magazines to 10, later on.

This is already the law in California, and I don't see an outcry against it**. Of course, this applies to FUTURE new purchases only. So you can still buy older high capacity magazines - if they were made before the bill went into effect, they're grandfathered in.

Even the staunchest Conservatives agree that background checks are necessary for gun purchases. The "militia" mentioned in the Constitution, was never meant to allow unfit and dangerous people, to buy firearms, whenever they please.

The hard core Conservatives don't like it, but what else is new, eh?
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #228
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
If your gardener was a department head in the Federal gov't, who needed to be confirmed, and was not, then yepper!
I don't think so, it's no different than having an acting chief stuck in there for a year, like they do in government agencies all the time.
Do you think the people in those agencies said, you're not the boss of me, I'm not doing what you say.

I'd had a letter exchange with the acting head of the Federal Flood Insurance Program. I certainly didn't disregard what he wrote because he was only the acting head.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #229
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
I don't think so, it's no different than having an acting chief stuck in there for a year, like they do in government agencies all the time.
Do you think the people in those agencies said, you're not the boss of me, I'm not doing what you say.

I'd had a letter exchange with the acting head of the Federal Flood Insurance Program. I certainly didn't disregard what he wrote because he was only the acting head.
An acting chief, IS a valid chief, albeit temporary. These "wanna be's", never were valid. Never.

Everything they did, is now void.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #230
Adak
Lecturer

The more I think about the gun control lobby, the more I believe we should have these folk solve all our violent death problems.

For instance, to stop deaths from avalanches, we just need to outlaw:

1) Snow (obviously).

2) Uneven ground (subtle).

and

3) Gravity

Brilliant!! A true liberals fix.

Kudo's to Israel for bombing the trucks that were transporting the Russian SAM's from Syria to Lebanon, to arm Hezbollah!

Well done!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #231
Adak
Lecturer

After all the screaming and shouting about "assault rifles!, those damn assault rifles!", we get the confirmation that:

1) There was no assault rifle used in the Newtown, CONN, shooting.

There was NO rifle used, of any kind, in this shooting.

The gunman used four pistols. (Not the reported two pistols).

2) There was a rifle left in the trunk of the car the killer drove. From somewhat hazy video (low light), the rifle is a semi-automatic, but doesn't appear to be an "assault rifle" (AR-15), as previously reported.

This was reported confirmed by Pete Williams at NBC, among others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=oJkvB9goPAA#!

But we need to ban assault rifles anyway. All that black, dangerous plastic on the stock and grips - makes the rifle just force you to start shooting people, doesn't it?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #232
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, thanks for setting the record straight, then we'll just ban hand guns.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #233
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
OK, thanks for setting the record straight, then we'll just ban hand guns.
Sweet.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #234
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
1) There was no assault rifle used in the Newtown, CONN, shooting.
He was firing 47 rounds per minute. He pumped between three and 13 rounds into each 1st grader. Only a wacko extremist would not call that an assault weapon.

How many rounds do you need to hunt deer? His guns only have one purpose. To hunt and kill humans.

You are even assaulting the sanity of moderates.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #235
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

If you had said that guns were made to kill, I'd agree with you. Anyone who knows anything about the real world use of guns knows that shooting to wound is Hollywood fantasy. When you say that they can only be used to hunt and kill humans ["His guns only have one purpose. To hunt and kill humans."] you
deny the reality that they can also be used in self defense just as readily as a single shot pistol or a baseball bat.

47 rounds per minute is easily accomplished with just low capacity magazines. A proficient wheelgun shooter can even do it with a 6 shot revolver and speed loaders. Your assertion that the application of the firearm, rather than the purpose for which it was designed, determines whether or not it constitutes an assault weapon is erroneous. It's like saying that an automobile driver who runs someone else over was therefore driving an assault car.

There are whacko extremists on both sides of this issue. Don't be one of them.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #236
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

AAAARGH!

Hasn't this thread died yet?

Adam Lanza used a semiautomatic Bushmaster .223 rifle.

Am I the only one around here who fact checks Adak?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2312818.html

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Adam Lanza used a semiautomatic Bushmaster .223 rifle during his rampage through Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday, firing dozens of high-velocity rounds as he killed 20 children and six adults, authorities said Sunday.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/19/...in-gun-debate/
When 20-year-old Adam Lanza walked into the Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, he carried two handguns, several hundred rounds of ammunition and a rifle that has become a flashpoint in the ongoing debate over gun rights in America.
Police say that the 20 children and six adults killed at the school were murdered with a .223 caliber Bushmaster AR-15 rifle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/us...anted=all&_r=0
But the AR-15 style rifle — the most popular rifle in America, according to gun dealers — was also the weapon of choice for Adam Lanza, who the police said used one made by Bushmaster on Friday to kill 20 young children and six adults in an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., in a massacre that has horrified the nation.

Etc., etc., etc. Hey! Remember Google?

Adak's youtube clip is just that - a cute little snip out of context.

Last edited by IamSam; 02-02-2013 at 01:19 AM.
IamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #237
Griff
still says videotape

Early reports had the .223 in the trunk of the car and the nutter using the pistols. I haven't been following the spin but the gun folks I hang with give those reports a lot of weight. The other gun industry rumor I hear is that the FedGov already controls the number of rounds manufacturers produce per year so there has been a squeeze in ammo for a while, creating a backdoor control.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #238
IamSam

I frequent another, larger board that has a preponderance of right wing users. They went with the "no Bushmaster was used" thing earlier, but now seem resigned to the fact that a semi-automatic was involved in the shootings - if they believe the shootings took place at all.

The entire Sandy Hook thing was a conspiracy. You know that, right? It was all staged so Obama and his Muslim friends could take away our second amendment rights.

So many conspiracy theories, so little time.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #239
Griff
still says videotape

Last edited by Griff; 02-02-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: never mind not putting myself between the nuts again
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #240
IamSam

^

Sorry, What?

I did not mean to imply that YOUR post was a conspiracy theory, if that's what you mean. It's just that I have not yet to see a reputable link from a sane person that has a legitimate explanation as to why law enforcement now thinks a Bushmaster was NOT used. If you have one, I'd appreciate you posting it, so I could read it over, myself, and if I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting to it.