The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Should gay marriages be legal?
Yes 42 77.78%
No 9 16.67%
I can't decide. 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2003, 03:21 AM   #241
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Quote:
Originally posted by God

I might be able to work you a small miracle.

Have you said your prayers lately?
Yes I have but if your small miracle involves removing certain parts of my anatomy, please dont!!!
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:22 AM   #242
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Jeep, did you not get that part about sovergity? It was about recognizing a conquered nation. Not US citizens, but members of a nation predating the US. Sure they're US citizens now, but they weren't untill after those treaties were signed. You're comparing apples and motor vehicles here.
      Also, pureblood NA's (for the record I'm in Arkansas and the indians I know hate being called "NA's", but it was the term in use on the thread so I'm running with it) are almost non-existant. Fewer people are meeting the req's every year. They'll soon be simply 'American'. So I wouldn't worry about it to much, they just haven't been completely assimilated yet. Happens when we box 'em up on reservations. Draw 'em out and it'll go faster...
      By the by, we all wanted to attend catholic girls school.

Slang, yup, Whit White. That's me. I even got sent to the office in jr. high for telling a sub that was my name. Of course I walked into the office and they said, "Why are you in here, Whit." So it didn't go to far.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:27 AM   #243
God
Not half the God I used to be

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepNGeorge
......removing certain parts of my anatomy, please dont!!!
Dont think of it as losing one thing....think of it as gaining three. And...this distraction could very well reduce your entertainment budget.

Just something to think about.
God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:45 AM   #244
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
I even got sent to the office in jr. high for telling a sub that was my name.
I'd sue the farking bastard for name descrimination
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:51 AM   #245
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

It was a public school, what would they pay me in, 20 year old text books? Desks with half the bolts missing? 'Sides, I'd have wound up in the office within the hour anyway.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:53 AM   #246
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Condoms, silly!

They're a currency in some places.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 04:16 AM   #247
ThreadHijackMan
Changing the flow

So........is being gay a choice? How about being hetero?
Old 11-27-2003, 07:28 AM   #248
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Re: Re: Re: For what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally posted by preacherswife2u
I do not understand why it is so hard to see why christians would not support or be in favor of anything that is considered a sin against God. I am all for people having rights. God is all for people having choices and rights. One of my rights is to vote and try to put people in office that will uphold my beliefs. Do you think otherwise? Is that not a right that you feel that you have also?
A right? Yes. A good idea? No. I am an atheist, but I would not vote for someone who promised to ban religion. I am heterosexual, but I would not vote for someone who considers homosexuals inferior. I don't want to vote for someone who will uphold my personal beliefs. I want to vote for someone who uphold the right to have personal beliefs. I am not asking for you to "support or be in favor of anything that is considered a sin against God", I am asking you not to oppose it. The right place to oppose it is if someone tries to change your religion's rules. There are many rights that I am not in favor of the exercise of, but they should still exist.

Religious rules should be enforced within the church. If religious people of a certain faith people happen to hold a majority in a legislature, they should still keep religious rules and civil laws completely separate. Combining politics and religion corrupts and demeans both. There is no nonreligious reason to prevent gays from marriying, so it should be allowed secularily. Of course, doing so may risk expulsion from the church, but that isn't a government issue, and the government should keep its nose out of that.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 08:03 AM   #249
JeepNGeorge

Quote:
Originally posted by ThreadHijackMan
Sure show up now that I have a choice to attend an all girls catholic school. MEANIE.

Did you have to CHOOSE this time to use your powers? Or did it just feel right?

I still don't see how my thoughts on a persons choice/genetics effects gay marriage. The government is just saying that if you choose to be gay or if its genetics you can't have certain benefits. Much like if I choose to be poor or if its in my genetics to spend every dime I ever make I won't be allowed certain credits. Or no matter how hard I pray, I won't be allowed to the catholic girls school.

When I was applying for student grants and loans, I was denyed several of the grants because my parents had 300 acres of land. Nevermind the fact I was 20 had a fulltime job and tried to support myself for 3 years. I brought a letter from the bank stating how much was owed, how much it was worth, and how much 'revenue' it brought in every year. Not that much when you factor in the payments. The nice lady who was there to help me took the end of her pencil and pushed the letter back across the table and said 'We don't need that information. If you parents want to help you to go to school, they'll sell the land if it doesn't make enough.' I didn't want my parents help, but the government wanted their information even though I lived on my own. I had to supply their records on my student grant forms until I was 24 or married. The land wasn't mine, and if my parents wanted to give it to me I'd have to have paid a hefty gift tax on it. If I bought it, they would have to pay capital gains tax. It wasn't until I was in my mid/late 20's that I even had a desire to work on the farm when it wasn't forced.

It was genetics that brought me into the world of rural living. To carry on that tradition, I'll be faced with several decisions in the future. I'll know I'll end up paying for this land again.

It will be nice to know that when gay marriages are recognized my genetics will not be as equal as a gay couples genetics/choice.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:03 AM   #250
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepNGeorge
It was genetics that brought me into the world of rural living. To carry on that tradition, I'll be faced with several decisions in the future. I'll know I'll end up paying for this land again.

It will be nice to know that when gay marriages are recognized my genetics will not be as equal as a gay couples genetics/choice.
Um, are you on dope?

Genetics made you your parents' child. It was their choice to live and remain in a rural area that put you in the world of rural living.

I strongly suspect that neither you nor your parents have a Green Acres gene hardwiring you to be predisposed to rural living. At any time, they could have sold the farm and moved to Detroit, if they'd really wanted to do so. Equating that kind of decision with sexual preference is silly, at best.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:22 AM   #251
JeepNGeorge

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp

Um, are you on dope?

Genetics made you your parents' child. It was their choice to live and remain in a rural area that put you in the world of rural living.

I strongly suspect that neither you nor your parents have a Green Acres gene hardwiring you to be predisposed to rural living. At any time, they could have sold the farm and moved to Detroit, if they'd really wanted to do so. Equating that kind of decision with sexual preference is silly, at best.
So my green thumb doesn't count? How long till that gene is found and people say that some are predestined to live on the farm, but that's not my point.

My genetics of my parents will grant me no rights to my parents estate. But a married gay couple will have tax imunity on estates.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 AM   #252
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

so marry your dad!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:55 AM   #253
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Good call Monkey!

At the time the partial-birth abortion ban was completed, Bush was asked in a press conference whether he still believed - as he announced some time ago - that the society is not in favor of a complete abortion ban, thus that it isn't appropriate to push for it. And he answered, plainly, yes, nothing has changed.

I found that very heartening. Yes, he personally believes that abortion isn't right, but that doesn't mean a ban is the right thing for the country or the society. (Or politically.)

Yes, the beliefs of the people who don't believe what you believe, STILL COUNT.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:16 PM   #254
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by ThreadHijackMan
:blink:

Did he just hijack the thread back ON topic? Well, closer, anyway?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:46 PM   #255
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Bush was asked in a press conference whether he still believed - as he announced some time ago - that the society is not in favor of a complete abortion ban, thus that it isn't appropriate to push for it. And he answered, plainly, yes, nothing has changed.

I found that very heartening. Yes, he personally believes that abortion isn't right, but that doesn't mean a ban is the right thing for the country or the society. (Or politically.)

Yes, the beliefs of the people who don't believe what you believe, STILL COUNT.
Either that or he knew better than to start the shit-storm that would follow if he answered "no."

Depends on how cynical you are.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote