The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-22-2008, 04:50 PM   #2866
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I found out today I'm finally getting to meet the daughter of one of my oldest friends at Christmas. Last time I saw her she was a very big bump in her Mummy's tummy (not literally, she was in the womb). And Mummy - bless her - was quite happy to drive, so my wastrel friend and I could get drunk together. Well she was 8.5 months pregnant, but it was sweet of her to offer all the same.

So A is almost 3 and this is the first chance I've had to see her in this time, although I've had lots of photos. He's home for Christmas, and regardless what happens I will be here too. In sadder news, I found out his brother's wife died this year. His brother is now a 32 year old widower with 3 children under 12. That's horrendous. I'll tell my Mum and she'll pray for them, it's the best I can do.

In other slightly sad news, I never really let my hopes of coming over to America die. But while travel-dreaming this evening I found out American hotels were really not as cheap as I had anticipated, knocking the possibility further out of the ballpark. Of course they're designed for couples at a minimum, and mostly for families. $100 a night between four AND all getting breakfast is an amazing deal. Not so hot for a singleton. Prejudice! Maybe I'll just head for the nearest bar where a fat arse and an English accent will impress, and get someone to take me home for the night. Fat chicks get laid more often, I read that somewhere really trustworthy.

Mum & Dad back tomorrow. Quick whisk round with a hoover, mop, cloth, duster, etc etc. It's fine as it is, but I want to make a really good impression. It's time for The Talk.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #2867
monster
I hear them call the tide

1) you could get together with the widower

2) motels are nicer than they sound and way cheaper than $100/night. where in the hell are you looking for $100/night hotels, anyway? Central Manhattan? I can almost get a night in a hotel with a waterpark for a family of 5 for that right now.....
Old 11-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #2868
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

1) Nuh-uh!

2) I was looking in Philadelphia. And that's the point - a family of five can stay in them, but it's no cheaper for a single person to occupy the room. Oh and American's mean something very different by Bed & Breakfast (usually the cheapest of all options in the UK apart from hostelling).
Old 11-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #2869
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
1) Nuh-uh!

2) I was looking in Philadelphia. And that's the point - a family of five can stay in them, but it's no cheaper for a single person to occupy the room. Oh and American's mean something very different by Bed & Breakfast (usually the cheapest of all options in the UK apart from hostelling).
yes, b&B is posh.

cheapest deals are mostly to be had on the spot, not by prebooking. for $50 i can get a nice basic motel room pretty much any where except center of major cities (but right next to commuter lines into major cities). For $30 I can get a dodgy basic motel room. for a family of 5 or just for 1. I've never paid $100 for a room, except when we went to the waterpark hotel. Where the waterpark was included.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #2870
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sigh. Well if I stay at the airport hotel I can average about $50 a night. Which is cheap of course. Just seems a rip off that a whole bed is going spare AND I could include up to another 2 people for only $20.

It's only dreaming still, but I like to occupy my time this way
Old 11-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #2871
monster

I'm seeing $50 on expedia for philly hotels, and you usually get them for less if you just turn up -except on holidays.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #2872
monster

then invite a homeless person to share it with you
Old 11-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #2873
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Barely Homeless count?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #2874
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

This semester, I've been interning at a high school for two periods a day, once a week. Today was my last day there. Despite our limited time together, the students gave me hugs and "We'll miss you!"s as I bade them goodbye. Many of them expressed the hope that I'd be back teaching at their high school, soon, or that at the very least I'd come to visit. My host teacher e-mailed me tonight to tell me that he thought I did very well, that the students asked about me on days that I wasn't there, and that he thought I should be very proud of myself.
I am! Earning the respect and affection of a bunch of 10th graders is probably one of the highlights of my year.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #2875
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Being the "hot" teachers aid probably didn't hurt either.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #2876
monster

A lot of people in different parts of my volunteer world spontaneously thanked me for what i do today. not just thanked me, but took the time to specify what they like about what i do. aaaaw.

And I got a marquis-style sandwich board to play with at the kids' school Maybe i'll put "Teh Cellar" on it and post a pic. maybe
Old 11-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #2877
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Today is mr. sweetwater's birthday - time to go bake a cake!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #2878
Treasenuak
Multiorgasmic and wrapped in plastic

Happy Birthday, Mr. Sweetwater!!
Treasenuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #2879
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Happy Birfday Mr S !

Well done Chocolatl, that's brilliant. You sound like a natural. Though you can instill knowledge and train in technique, a good teacher is born not made.

@ Monster: nice
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #2880
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Diz is fine.
Back from the vet.
"A touch of" conjunctivitis, no temperature or breathing problems.

Although he does have a heart murmer, according to this vet.
"Has he seen a vet before?" he asked.
Three and a half year old pedigree cat - what do you think?
He said that perhaps it was just due to stress (WHAT?) but to keep an eye on it (HOW?)
I said, "I know a couple of people who've been diagnosed with a health murmer recently."
"Cats?"
"No, people."

Anyway I am happy Diz is fine.
But kicking myself for rushing him in.
And feel fleeced - he's been given a course of antibiotics for a viral infection, "To make sure he doesn't pick anything else up in the mean time."
Funny, that's what GPs fight against doing. Antibiotics are not sweeties to be given out willy nilly.

Okay, it's actually spending £80.17 in under 10 minutes that I'm grumpy about. Grrrrrrrrr. Eighty pounds!!!!!!
Shocking.