The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You're pathetic, I feel truly sorry for you.
Back to name calling? I love my stalker... *laughing*

Name one good thing religion does that one can't do for themselves without it? That you get to go to your local stoning doesn't count, though that could be one.

One thing that you don't get to get duped into giving money to a business you get nothing from along with it? Business, not charity, religions are not charity.
Just one.

If the Bible is correct, then stoning is correct. It is clear.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #17
Cloud

those honor killings are heinous. The worst ones, to me, are the women who are killed by their fathers and brothers after being raped.

I cannot begin to comprehend how they justify that.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

From Wikipedia.com:

In keeping with the Latin etymology of the word, religious believers have often seen other religions as superstition. Likewise, atheists, agnostics, deists, and skeptics regard religious belief as superstition. (Edmund Burke, the Irish orator, once said, "Superstition is the religion of feeble minds".) From the broadest perspective, all religion is a form of superstition.

Religious practices are most likely to be labelled "superstitious" by outsiders when they include belief in extraordinary events, an afterlife, supernatural interventions, apparitions or the efficacy of prayer, charms, incantations, the meaningfulness of omens, and prognostications.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Name one good thing religion does that one can't do for themselves without it?
Ah. A borderline--either black or white, nothing in between. I respect that, I've BEEN that. I also got over that. [rkz--this is your cue to belittle me--go ahead]
I'll continue:

One good thing religion does that one cannot do for oneself? It teaches surrender to those who are helpless before their addictions and hatred.

Wanna take on all the 12-stepper's in the US? Myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling successfully recovered addicts that they are NOT recovered due to a HP but merely deluded by Big Corporate Brothers or what have you.
I don't believe the Bible is the Word of God--[i]however[i] I would never presume to tell people how to worship or what to worship--let alone give doubt to those who find comfort in the concept of a Higher Power.

Rip away, r. post bombs.

tell me how stupid and irrational I am. I look forward to it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
They don't do it but it is fair, then, to condemn the book that states that is what should be done?
Where does it state in the Bible that we should do that? The Old testament is out, except for Jews. That's a history of their doings, but I don't see them doing that now.

The bible says many things, describes many customs and remedies for social ills that were applied at the time. There are plenty of sections of the Bible that are all kissy, lovey, forgive everyone, too.

But the Moslems still practice these atrocities by social custom and the interpretations by their clerics of the Koran. What does that have to do with the Bible?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
One good thing religion does that one cannot do for oneself? It teaches surrender to those who are helpless before their addictions and hatred.
Plenty of nonreligious folks go through AA. They just have to fake it through the religious bit, like in Boy Scouts. It's too bad that they have to, but that's the way the system is set up.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #22
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

The girl would have been OK if she had just played paper, which everyone knows covers rock.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Back to name calling? I love my stalker... *laughing*

Name one good thing religion does that one can't do for themselves without it? That you get to go to your local stoning doesn't count, though that could be one.

One thing that you don't get to get duped into giving money to a business you get nothing from along with it? Business, not charity, religions are not charity.
Just one.

Bullshit, you've obviously never read the Bible or you would know that. Where does it say that, Bible scholar?
And what has the Bible got to do with the Moslems.

You have gotten more benefit from religion than anyone I know. Since you don't believe in God you can't blame him, so you blame religion for everything that's wrong with your petty little world.

You bluster about personal responsibliity, but blame religion for all the bad shit it your life. Just look at all that crab grass those damn Christians put in your yard.
Pathetic.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #24
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Ah. A borderline--either black or white, nothing in between. I respect that, I've BEEN that. I also got over that. [rkz--this is your cue to belittle me--go ahead]
I'll continue:

Wanna take on all the 12-stepper's in the US? Myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling successfully recovered addicts that they are NOT recovered due to a HP but merely deluded by Big Corporate Brothers or what have you.
I don't believe the Bible is the Word of God--[i]however[i] I would never presume to tell people how to worship or what to worship--let alone give doubt to those who find comfort in the concept of a Higher Power.

Rip away, r. post bombs.

tell me how stupid and irrational I am. I look forward to it.
No one is helpless before their addictions and the medical community agrees with me.
Your will is what you need, not religion. The twelve steps do not work.
See Penn and Teller's Bullshit 12-Stepping.
I was told that I could not participate in AA because I was an atheist by a chapter head... real loving and helpful group there.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 05-07-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #25
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Bullshit, you've obviously never read the Bible or you would know that. Where does it say that, Bible scholar?
And what has the Bible got to do with the Moslems.

You have gotten more benefit from religion than anyone I know. Since you don't believe in God you can't blame him, so you blame religion for everything that's wrong with your petty little world.

You bluster about personal responsibliity, but blame religion for all the bad shit it your life. Just look at all that crab grass those damn Christians put in your yard.
Pathetic.
I noticed you don't have an example for the first post I made and you think you have benefits I have reaped. There are none.
I have never blamed religion for anything in my life. Show where I have done that once.
I just want it out of every aspect of government.
More insults, "petty", you are so funny, *laughing at you*
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Avoiding the question, huh Bible scholar. Just make wild accusations you can't back up and hope it will float. Nope, your shit goes right to the bottom, nobody here is stupid enough to believe your paranoid claims.

You can blame that on religion, instead of taking personal responsibility, too.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #27
rkzenrage

Avoiding the question? LOL! Listen to you. I was the one who asked a question. An easy one for you, who is so "blessed" right?
So tell me, what are these blessings that you get that none of us sad secular beings are missing out on? The ones we can't get on our own?
Come on?
I threw you an underhand one here. Hit it out of the park! Easy one!

Yeah... Dominionism and reconstructionist are my paranoid claims? Man, that is gold! Yayyyy!!!! I love my stalker!

Half of Leviticus tells us who should be stoned and why. Some of the reasons are so silly you wait for it to tell you it is a joke, but you knew that.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #28
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I had no idea you had to believe in God if you wanted help from AA. Now if anything is discriminatory that would be surely?

"Oh you don't believe in God? Well you'd better just stay an alcoholic."

Doesn't seem too Christian to me.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #29
rkzenrage

You also cannot belive in free will.

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #30
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

But that is what AA is. Take out the religion out and there's nothing left.

Don't criticize AA. It has helped countless alcoholics (including a family member) gain control over their addiction. If an alcoholic is not comfortable with the 12 steps then they are free to seek support elsewhere. Its not like they have a monopoly on addiction treatment.