The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 11:41 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
the moon is actually significantly closer to the earth, causing an increase in tidal activity, and a change in weather patterns that is spawning more and more hurricanes.
What are you, nuts? Everybody knows it's the fault of those people driving Hummers.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:30 PM   #17
FloridaDragon
... Maintaining ....

Trying to find humor in tragedy

Greetings all, I am been a lurker for a long time but felt the need to post these couple pictures. Like in the WPB area of FL and got hit by Frances, then went to Pensacola to help family after Ivan. Saw this sign on the way back after having to drive around the bridge over Escambia Bay for I-10 being "removed" by Ivan.

The other picture is of a red cross convoy heading into Northwest Florida after the storm...I am sure the beer truck is not an "official" member of the relief convoy but I am sure he was popular when he got there anyway.

Hunkering down for Jeanne now

FloridaDragon
Attached Images

FloridaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:02 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Fdragon. Good luck with Jeanne.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:59 PM   #19
FloridaDragon
... Maintaining ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Welcome to the Cellar, Fdragon. Good luck with Jeanne.
Thanks Bruce....hopefully this storm will not wack us too much. Winds picking up pretty good and little trees down but nothing big yet.

I could focus on the damage and suffering that Charley, Frances and Ivan have caused so far but we have all seen too much of that so I tried to look for the humorous parts. Like the story of a coworker who lost the screening over his pool from Frances...much to the surprise of the squirrel which normally uses it to go from one tree to another...needless to say the squirrel ended up in the pool and then a quite pissed off squirrel came tearing out of there scattering the humans that were in the way....that kind of stuff. Would have loved to have had a high speed camera on that squirrel as he passed through the space where he thought the screening would be

FD
FloridaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #20
Kitsune
still eats dirt

All right, another Floridian! Hope you all fair okay through this, FLDragon. Everyone here in Tampa seems so sick and tired of these things that we all just don't care, anymore. There haven't been any runs on water, food, or gasoline even though there is a fair chance we'll lose power as Jeanne crosses the state.

More than anything, it would be nice to have a single, decent weekend for a change. I'm getting sick of staying inside.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:18 PM   #21
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Patience, Kit. You offically have 2 months left in the hurricane season.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:23 PM   #22
Kitsune
still eats dirt

You offically have 2 months left in the hurricane season.

This has been one of the worst summers for outdoors activities. I haven't been able to go kayaking in months because each weekend it either storms or we get a hurricane. Bicycling has been put on hold because all of the bike trails and parks have been submerged and closed. Even camping in the fall looks like a possible loss just because the rivers aren't going to go down anytime soon.

"Sunshine State", my ass! Oh, wait, we have had sunny, beautiful days! They're called, "The days I've had to go to work!"
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #23
404Error
Lecturer

I really feel for you Floridians down there having to 'weather' all these hurricanes. I sincerly hope you've seen the worst of them, you've really had your fair share. My parents have a winter trailer home in Florida and they're wondering if they'll have a place left to go to this year. Look on the bright side,if there is one, in a few months you all will be watching or reading the news about how us Northerners are having to deal with winter snow and ice storms.

Keep your heads down and don't get too frustrated!
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2004, 09:41 AM   #24
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I'd have to say it is a bit rainy outside right now. A little wind, too. Yawn.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:47 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm happy to hear you yawning.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:00 AM   #26
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Heh -- actually, its pretty nuts down here right now. I've not heard rain so loud against the window before and the noise is only interrupted when one of the trees out back pops or explodes as it falls. Its a little frightening, but everything seems to be holding together pretty well. The eye is still a couple hours out, yet, but we're not expecting anything too serious.

We don't expect to hold power much longer, though.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:07 AM   #27
Kitsune
still eats dirt

...and I should add that the biggest problem right now is the lack of sleep. Starting around 2am, the winds kicked up and sleep became intermittent. All night long, the driving rain and wind were too much to sleep through, so I gave up around 6:30am and flipped on the television to find that the Jeanne decided to not take a Northerly turn as she should have. Straight on into Tampa for a solid day of torment. Dammit.

I can't nap right now and studying is proving to be really tough, too, because the wind gusts are so distracting. Great timing for my exams on Monday and Tuesday. Ugh.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #28
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh but it's a mere 75 mph for you this time around. Hardly worth a reporter standing outside to show us.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe they'll delay exams.
I've friends up in DeBarry, between Orlando and Daytona, that have the attached garage converted into a guest room. They bought a generator, window airconditioner and mini-fridge, to wait out the power outages, in the guest room.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:38 AM   #30
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Oh but it's a mere 75 mph for you this time around.

Which is exactly why there are still people on the roads right now. Like anything is open right now.

Maybe they'll delay exams.

Oh, I wish. If we miss anymore days of class, though, the whole semester is going to be placed in jeopardy. I can't even imagine what county schools are going through right now because they shut down with even a threat so that the school buildings can be converted into shelters.