The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
The teacher is obviously a pig. Allegorically speaking, of course.

*cough* For every teacher like this there are ten parents who are products of the educational system who have been rendered less equipped to prepare their children for a productive adulthood *cough*
FTFY
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
*cough* For every teacher like this there are ten parents less equipped to prepare their children for a productive adulthood *cough*
word.

Talk to the teacher... that's always a good thing. I also think glatt is on to something with this.
Quote:
I bet it's a communication glitch. The teacher probably was trying to emphasize the satire, and said something that could be interpreted as dismissing the allegory, and Aden picked up on that and thought it was a clear refuting of the allegory, when maybe the teacher meant only to diminish it a little and focus on the satire.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody, I'm not sure who, at this point View Post
*cough* For every teacher like this there are ten parents who are products of home schooling who have been rendered less equipped to prepare their children for a productive adulthood *cough*
FTFY
Old 03-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

*cough* For every teacher like this there are ten parents who are products of home schooling who have been rendered less equipped to prepare their children for a productive cough.

Patient: doc I have a terrible cough!

Doc: is it productive?

Patient: Well, I'm not using it for anything.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 03-01-2012 at 10:54 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Allegorical/satirical sounds like a rip-off of the tastes great/less filling faux debate used to promote multiple facets of a subject.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Thanks for all the feedback girls and boys.

Yes it's possible there was a misunderstanding. Aden has used references to satire in his paper also, so I'm still not sure what the problem is with the teacher.

It all happened like this.

Aden brought the task sheet home with all the criteria for the paper, and guidelines for what he needs to do in order to achieve whatever mark he's aiming for. So I looked at all the info with him, and he selected the question he wanted to answer which was something along the lines of, "How was the speech by Old Major twisted by the pigs and distorted into a different message" (sorry I can't remember the wording exactly right now, but that's the gist of it)

So we talked about the different tools used by the author, and one that came up was allegory. The fact that it's a story about one thing but represented by different characters. He worked on it pretty solidly and came up with a really great intro which talked about the story being an allegory for the revolution and rise of communism in Russia. He did research and we talked about which characters represented which historical figure and he seemed to me to have it all pretty neat and tidy. Meaning he seemed to have a fairly deep understanding of what he should know.

eta: Aden also mentioned that the story was completed by 1943 but no one would publish it till the end of the second WW. The teacher said that was wrong also.

The stupid thing is, the teacher told Aden he was wrong, then handed out an example essay for the kids to read which used almost the exact statement Aden had, so that's when Aden felt vindicated enough to bring his concerns home and ask me what I thought he should do.

So in the end, my advice is that he should finish the draft as he began. Maybe the teacher will understand his point better once it's all down on paper. If not, Aden will have the teachers feedback on the draft, and a week to make whatever changes he needs. However, he says he's not selling out and that he believes he's right (and I think he is too), so if the teacher is still saying he's wrong, and marking him poorly, we'll get some independent advice from English teachers at other schools and present the argument that way.

The issue is that every single piece of assessment Aden does from now on will count towards his final grade when he leaves high school, so he really can't afford to get dudded on even one paper. He wants to do science at uni, so he has to get a pretty good mark in the end.

I think he's lucky to have parents who are able to make a critical judgement about where he's at with things like this, and who are able to lend him a voice to ensure the best outcome. I feel sorry for kids who have to do it on their own. It must be so much harder.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #22
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
The issue is that every single piece of assessment Aden does from now on will count towards his final grade when he leaves high school, so he really can't afford to get dudded on even one paper. He wants to do science at uni, so he has to get a pretty good mark in the end.
I tell my kids that the bottom line is to give the teacher the answer they are looking for.

You can discuss things and argue your point, but if the teacher insists they want X before they will give you a good grade, then give them X. Don't give them Y.

But I'm a good conformist. I generally obey authority. YMMV
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Rhianne
Nearly done.

The life lesson of 'do you want to look good or be good'?
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

glatt would have said a kilometer is longer than a mile.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I tell my kids that the bottom line is to give the teacher the answer they are looking for.

You can discuss things and argue your point, but if the teacher insists they want X before they will give you a good grade, then give them X. Don't give them Y.

But I'm a good conformist. I generally obey authority. YMMV
Yeah I know, and I do agree to a certain extent.

The issue I have is that Aden can take a good lesson from this. That people in authority are not always right, but that there are procedures which can be followed in order to correct a wrong.

We'll go to the school with our evidence and ask for a review of his work. Also, it is my understanding that all their work is sent for independent review anyway because they're OP students (meaning they intend to apply to university), so this paper will be flagged if it goes pear shaped anyway.

I've told Aden he needs to do some independent research on the rise of communism in Russia so that he can argue his case well, and with respect if called to do so in front of the class. I've stressed to him the importance of not trying to make the teacher look like an idiot, but to simply put forward his case in a way which is irrefutable to logical minds.

If on the other hand, this teacher is simply an idiot (which could turn out to be the case) I'll have Aden moved to another class to avoid having to go through this with every piece of work this year.

eta: I will add that Aden has partially brought this on himself by being a tool in class quite often during his younger years, so he has created a less than stellar reputation for himself among some staff members, in particular the English faculty, so I can hardly blame Adens teacher if he's been warned that Aden is a trouble maker. Unfortunately for Aden (and this is another lesson he has to learn), it's going to take some time for him to convince teachers and other staff that he's committed to his studies now, unlike the first few years of HS.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Then again...

Just kidding, Ali.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #27
Aliantha

I know Bruce, and it's true what you say. I hope I don't go about it that way in the end though. lol

I'm very hopeful that Aden can negotiate a positive outcome for himself without the teacher even knowing I'm involved.

Coaching from the sidelines is always better than kicking the ball for them.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, from what you wrote, I think you did exactly the right thing, both before and after the remark by the teacher. Kudos for taking an interest in the assignment and helping organize the preparation.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

See if Aden can convince his teacher there was a sequel to Animal Farm and get extra credit for discussing its relevancy:

Name:  God created mammals, but ....jpg
Views: 114
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  Uziel Gal made them equal..jpg
Views: 114
Size:  25.7 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #30
Aliantha

Ha! He loves that song. lol So does his mother. Such a catchy tune.