The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-09-2002, 03:19 PM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

John Irving.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:38 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
Rosie O'Donnell in a leather-dominatrix outfit in "Exit to Eden."
Stop lying...you probably had a woody the whole time.

Bizarre moments:

--Pulp Fiction: the rape scene, the adrenaline shot
--Misery: where Kathy Bates destroys James Caan's ankles
--It's not a movie, but the first episode of "ER" this season, where Paul McCrane's arm gets whacked off by the propeller blade.

Cam, I agree with the AHX one. That son of a bitch deserved it though.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:57 PM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
-Misery: where Kathy Bates destroys James Caan's ankles
Gah! I forgot all about that one... I cringed when I read it.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:15 PM   #19
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
--Pulp Fiction: the rape scene
I had this edition of the Pulp Fiction soundtrack where the tracks were interspersed with comments from Tarantino about why he picked particular songs, how they fit in with the scene, etc.

For that scene, the music that's playing (I forget the name of it) was his second choice. He originally wanted "My Sharona", because, as he put it, "it has a nice sodomy beat to it" (at which point he starts enunciating the beat.. "buh-da-buh-da-BUM-da-BUM-da"...)

He said The Knack turned him down, though, because that was their one big hit and they didn't want it ruined forever (and Steeler's Wheel no doubt feels the same way in hindsight about "Stuck in the Middle with You").
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 07:16 PM   #20
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Gah! I forgot all about that one... I cringed when I read it.
Didn't she saw off his foot and cauterize the stump with a blowtorch in the book?
Old 12-09-2002, 07:47 PM   #21
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tob, the song during the rape is "Comanche" by the Revels. I don't think "My Sharona" would have really fit with the rest of the music in the movie, given the bluesy-soul tone overall.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 12-09-2002 at 07:51 PM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:58 PM   #22
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Tob, the song during the rape is "Comanche" by the Revels. I don't think "My Sharona" would have really fit with the rest of the music in the movie, given the bluesy-soul tone overall.
Yeah, QT also said that he was glad in the end it didn't work out, because Comanche was a better fit.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:48 PM   #23
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

The most disturbing movie scene I ever saw was from the movie Hannibal.

I have a cast iron stomach and have only vomitted a handful of times in the past 10 years.

When Hannibal removed Ray Liotta's scull cap and cut a section off from his brain while he was sitting at the dinner table, I had to leave the theater. That was the the most disturbing thing I ever saw.

If you're going to shoot, stab, or set fire to someone in a movie , I'm game. Cutting someone's brain out while they are still alive , that's too much. And eating the brain as a snack on the plane, barf!
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:17 AM   #24
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:

Stop lying...you probably had a woody the whole time.
Yeah Exit to Eden was horrifying, because the original book (which I read during a phase of "I like Anne Rice, why don't I read everything she's published?") deserves better. No, it's not a fabulous book, but it deserves better than that movie.

Quote:
--Pulp Fiction: the rape scene, the adrenaline shot
I could deal with the rape scene, but I remember the shot REALLY squicked me.

Even worse, I saw it at The Ritz (an artsy-foreign film theater in Philadelphia)..... and.. I came out.. somewhat subdued as I tried to absorb it all... and... BOOM! I met the eyes of an econ professor from the college I worked at!! It was soooo weird seeing such a nasty movie and then knowing I saw it with this guy who was always so reserved and professional. (He probably the same about me!)

I don't watch a lot of "shocking" films generally.. my tastes run toward comedy (tho I don't mind a bit of "low" humor). The one movie I watched that REALLY gave me the willies was Quills. I couldn't sleep one night and I had this disk but I hadn't watched it yet, and Michael Caine really creeped me out. I think I would have been OK if I hadn't been watching at 2 AM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:30 AM   #25
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
The scene in Cinderella where the prince puts the glass slipper on her foot and rescues her from her misery and takes her off in his carriage to the castle and they get married and live happily ever after. Disgusting.
I really LOVE your style! This really ROCKS!!

Old 12-10-2002, 12:40 AM   #26
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam

I think Van Wilder is one movie that impressed me.
You just stole my heart with that very comment, but I won't say just exactly how and why (not to be an asshole).
Old 12-10-2002, 01:10 AM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

I have a cast iron stomach and have only vomitted a handful of times in the past 10 years.
If I'm keeping up with the rest of the posts hereabouts correctly, I presume that was related to excessive alchohol consumption rather than observation of an icky thing ...

Quote:
The most disturbing movie scene I ever saw was from the movie Hannibal.
Quote:
remainder of description trimmed to avoid further disturbing slang. I'm nice that way sometimes. But ONLY sometimes.
I wasn't too bothered by that. I have a MUCH higher squick threshhold than most females. Higher than a lot of males of my acquaintance too ...

However, I was ready for that one. I knew what was coming.

I read the book as soon as it was published. The book is much more extensively descriptive of that particular scene. I will take it as a given that you don't want to borrow it.

I liked the original ending much better.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 01:16 AM   #28
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Thought of another one ...

Videodrome
You know that scene where you think James Woods' character is hallucinating and he sticks the pistol into his stomach (talk about the ulimate in concealed weapons, eh gang?)

That was disturbing.

Oh, and pretty much anything involving a full-body burn. definite grossout. Like when the probie fireman gets it in Backdraft. The guy through the Porsche I thought was neat, but then we don't have any emotional attachment to his "character".

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 03:04 AM   #29
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

What about the rape scene in "Clockwork Orange"? That to me was slighly beyond hair curlingly shocking. And again for the very same reason as at the ending of "Garp". It does give me chills just to think about it even though they are just stories. OOH!

Old 12-10-2002, 06:06 AM   #30
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly

Didn't she saw off his foot and cauterize the stump with a blowtorch in the book?
when I read Sycs comment... I don't think I read the book.