The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #16
juju
no one of consequence

Since nature is something that comes from the earth, humans, cities, and civilzation are all a part of nature. This effectively renders the term meaningless.

Last edited by juju; 02-15-2004 at 08:08 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:13 PM   #17
mrnoodle
bent

Disagree. Civilization, as defined by the American Heritage dictionary at least, is "A condition of human society marked by an advanced stage of development in the arts and sciences and by corresponding social, political, and cultural complexity."
When that condition results in people becoming unaware (whether deliberately or not) of the forces controlling the world outside their civilization, they are 'removed from nature'.

I stand by my original comment. I think.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:17 PM   #18
juju
no one of consequence

In what way are humans and civilization not a part of nature? They affect it more than anything, AND they were created by it, AND co-exist with everything else that was created by it.

That sort of thinking only serves to advance the idea that humans are evil. Your definiton of nature is "not human" (correct me if I'm wrong). That's silly.

Other organisms also do things that are to the detriment of other organisms. In fact, I'd say nearly every one of them does.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #19
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
When that condition results in people becoming unaware (whether deliberately or not) of the forces controlling the world outside their civilization, they are 'removed from nature'.
If anything, we are <i>more</i> aware of the forces controlling the world than other animals, because they don't know as much about science as we do.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:28 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Not to presume to know another's thoughts ... but I think he means "nature" in the sense of "not created by the hand of man".

Civilization is, as far as we understand it, part of the natural growth of society ... but it isn't "natural."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #21
mrnoodle
bent

Point taken. I have to back off, but only a little. I would amend my statement (to the horror of my journalism profs) to say, "Civilization, at its most advanced, tends to isolate humans from those factors which govern non-civilized beings." This leads, in turn, to a desensitization that is DE-evolutionary, in my opinion.

Geez. You're backing me into a hole, cut it out. lol

Another point of contention - I think we overestimate our effect on the rest of the world. We certainly try hard enough, but one good plague, seismic event, or climate change could crush our species as surely as any other species. The thing we're best at is endangering our own existence. I say drill the hell out of Alaska, it'll live.

I'm gonna get dinged on "de-evolutionary", I just know it.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:42 PM   #22
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Not to presume to know another's thoughts ... but I think he means "nature" in the sense of "not created by the hand of man".
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. :) I think that's silly.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Civilization is, as far as we understand it, part of the natural growth of society ... but it isn't "natural."
Why not?

Quote:
Point taken. I have to back off, but only a little. I would amend my statement (to the horror of my journalism profs) to say, "Civilization, at its most advanced, tends to isolate humans from those factors which govern non-civilized beings." This leads, in turn, to a desensitization that is DE-evolutionary, in my opinion.
Do you mean evolutionary in the scientific sense of the word, or in the change/progress sense of the word?

Quote:
Another point of contention - I think we overestimate our effect on the rest of the world. We certainly try hard enough, but one good plague, seismic event, or climate change could crush our species as surely as any other species. The thing we're best at is endangering our own existence.
If we're so good at endangering our own existence, then how come we've come to inhabit virtually every corner and climate of the world?

Of course there are many potential natural disasters that could be very detrimental to us. But other animals are at the exact same risk.

Anyway, don't think I'm attacking you. I just find the subject interesting. :)
Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Disagree. Civilization, as defined by the American Heritage dictionary at least, is "A condition of human society marked by an advanced stage of development in the arts and sciences and by corresponding social, political, and cultural complexity."

I stand by my original comment. I think.
I can't prove it but I'll bet a years pay the people wrote that don't live in south central, LA or Bedford-Sty, NY. The people that do are NOT more civilized than the folks down on the farm.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
quote:Originally posted by wolf

Why not?
Here's a handful of city-seeds. Plant 'em and see what happens ...

What we have here is a failure to communicate. English has the terms to express what you're trying to here, but it's clumsy at best with the customary vocabulary.

If I'm understanding your train of thought, you're saying "Plastics are natural because they contain long chains of carbon and hydrogen."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-15-2004, 08:57 PM   #25
juju
no one of consequence

They're natural because they're made up of elements found in the earth. Elements that exist in nature. The fact that an animal that comes from nature messed with it shouldn't "taint" it.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:59 PM   #26
juju
no one of consequence

Is oxygen unnatural because it's created by plants from carbon dioxide?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Define "unnatural" then.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:01 PM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Define "unnatural" then.
Homosexuality! (slang runs away quickly )
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:02 PM   #29
juju
no one of consequence

That's what I'm saying. The word is meaningless!
Old 02-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oxygen is natural because it "comes" that way ... two molecules of O, stuck to each other. It's not FORCED into that configuration by photosynthesis.

Consider ... Uranium, naturally occuring element.

Plutonium ... only exists because man tosses additional neutrons in Uranium's general direction which are absorbed by the nucleus, creating this new artificial element. The trans uranicelements IIRC (it's been a good 25 years since I did any hard science), are similarly constructed -- Don't occur in nature, some only exist briefly in the lab.

When the whale uses it's penis to make another little whale, that's part of the process of nature.

When Uncle DuPey uses an assortment of hydrocarbons to make paint and plastic and a myriad of other things that make living better, that's chemistry ... and while the components are organic molecules, it's not natural, dammit!!