The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
glatt

Hey Merc, I meant no offence. It was meant as a joke. Fathers joke about that kind of stuff.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Hey Merc, I meant no offence. It was meant as a joke. Fathers joke about that kind of stuff.
Not Merc's type of father....
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Everyone makes mistakes in interpretation of text from time to time. I don't think it's a good reason to criticize someone's parenting style.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #19
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Okay, people, from now on, EVERYTHING is a joke unless specified otherwise, okay?

J/K.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Hey, my bad... sorry about that. I was still reacting to being a little sensitive about one of the other threads that was dug up... Again. sorry about that.. No offense taken.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
glatt

Cool, it's all good.

I was actually thinking about the father of this one woman I know. There were 7 kids in their family, and I'm pretty sure all 7 were girls. All were attractive blondes. The dad was a cop. He had a collection of old rifles that he kept on the wall in the living room. She had told us stories about him making the boyfriends wait in the living room with him and his gun collection while she was upstairs getting ready. I thought it was all a joke until we went to her wedding, and the reception was in the backyard of her parents' house. The living room was exactly as she described it. It was pretty funny, picturing this dad sitting with the boyfriends surrounded by all the guns.

I plan on sharpening knives.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I actually used a line like that on one of my daughters boyfriends who came to take her on a date and I said something like, "Make sure she gets home on time." with a pregnant handshake and he told my dau that I didn't intimidate him. I knew he was lying since he was a little skinny kid and I was a hell of a lot bigger than him. You really can get protective of your girls in this day and age, so much is different from what we experienced growing up. But at some point you have to cut the rope and let them go and hope it all turns out for the best. We have cut the rope with all of them and are officially empty nesters as of last Aug as our youngest Dau went off to college. An equally happy and sad moment. Generally it was time for her to go. I have always said if your kids did not want to leave home by the time they hit HS you didn't prepare them well for what is ahead. It is really hard in their teen years not trying to be their best friend, which is not your job as a parent IMHO. If they want to stay around the house after graduation they are not looking forward to life without you. It is hard and there are no rule books. Only what your gut tells you is right or wrong.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, you fathers! You guys reminded me of this:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So, as teenagers, did a girlfriend's threatening dad ever stop any of you from doing dirty things to her? I'm guessing not.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Raising your children well is a partial substitute for not being with them 24x7.

My buddy reminded me of this the other day. He pointed out that his youngest was in a car accident, with five kids in the car. Four went to the hospital. His daughter was the only one with a seat belt on. She walked away.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #26
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
So, as teenagers, did a girlfriend's threatening dad ever stop any of you from doing dirty things to her? I'm guessing not.
Once. But only because I'd previously seen him totally stomp a guy's ass.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #27
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

i was looking at a beautiful diamond necklace at the jewelers today, but i didn't buy it because i remembered i had no one to give it to....
Old 02-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

also... the wonder boner looks totally awesome and if I totally know someone who needs one.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #29
monster
I hear them call the tide

I like Valentine's day as the holiday i was brought up with, but that doesn't exist any more....

It was a day for sending an anonymous token of love to someone you fancied. They were supposed to be able to guess who it ewas and hopefully that would be the start of a beautiful new relationship...... and that was it. It's snowballed into Hallmark You-don't-really-love-your SO-unless-you-spend-a-fortune-on-them Day since then and it's much bigger/even more commercialized here than in the UK
Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
Tulip
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
i was looking at a beautiful diamond necklace at the jewelers today, but i didn't buy it because i remembered i had no one to give it to....
funny... Just ordered myself a big box of fine chocolates since no one is gonna give me one.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote