The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-14-2003, 08:38 AM   #16
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Horrible.

The ending was a huge letdown.

The really sad part is that before this release there was a TON of fan fiction endings which were infinatly better.

I mean couldn't the brothers sit down read a few of these things and say "Yeah you know...our plot sucks....no it REALLY sucks. Lets take this thing and use that...it's far better than anything we manged to milk out."
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #17
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by stir
But the Matrix movies are all about Neo. 1st movie = Birth 2nd = Love 3rd = Death.
Oh, thanks. Now I don't need to see it.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:10 AM   #18
stir
Questionist

Sorry Perth.

I didn't mean to include spoilers intentionally.
stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #19
perth
Strong Silent Type

Oh, its okay. I already knew, because fucking everyone I know feels like they need to tell me all about the movies they see; I don't get to the movies that often. But I saw an easy target.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:17 PM   #20
Razorfish
Superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
Horrible.

The ending was a huge letdown.

The ending was a bit of a let down but I would't say it was completely horrible. Revolutions seemed to focus a lot more on actual plot progression as compared to Reloaded, which was simply a lot of kung-fu. I thought it was fairly well written and the ending seemed inevitable to me. Neo sacrificed himself for the greater good (sort of the whole Matrix-Jesus theory). The destruction of the Matrix entirely would have killed a lot of people and freed the rest into a dark, post-apocalyptic waste land (the real world). At the meeting of The Oracle and The Architect it is decided that those who want to free themselves will be allowed to do so in peace. In essance, Neo saved those future self-aware along with their home city Zion. How long will that last? I don't think the movie gave any indication.

I thought the destruction of Agent Smith was pretty good. Smith gained the Oracle's powers and like any non-free thinking program, didn't comprehend his prediction of defeat.

Overall, I would say the movie wasn't bad at all. Certainly not the greatest sci-fi make-you-think movie I've seen but it has its merits.

Sorry If I spoiled any of it for those who have not seen it yet.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:30 PM   #21
stir
Questionist

Great points Razorfish.

One thing to note is that the plot line will be continued in the Matrix MMORPG.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:25 PM   #22
Razorfish
Superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by stir

One thing to note is that the plot line will be continued in the Matrix MMORPG.
ANOTHER MMORPG!! I like them but there seems to be such a huge influx of these things. I remeber the good ol days of Ultima Online and Everquest but now they have a Star Wars one (which has some good points), a Final Fantasy one and countless others that don't really deserve hours and hours of play.

Anyway, getting to the point, there are too many MMORPGs based out of things that lack the proper context neccessary for a good Massive Multiplayer Role Playing Game. I read about some of the proposed features for the game but I still can't picture The Matrix as an MMORPG.

This is not meant to hijack the thread, just pass over it if neccessary. But I'm just curious about other peoples thoughts on The Matrix:MMORPG style.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:40 AM   #23
Bitman
cellar smellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorfish
But I'm just curious about other peoples thoughts on The Matrix:MMORPG style.
You get to play as The One! But there can only be one The One, so you have to fight to be the one The One.

Ok, I actually liked The Third, I mean Revolutions. Characters were actually developed in this film -- they acted like people with feelings and motivations. In #1, everyone was in shock -- Neo, from having just been sprung from the Matrix, and everyone else from having discovered The One. #2 was just weird, but in #3 we finally met some real people.

I was disappointed in the end, initially. After all the theories I heard and came up with myself, there were many ways the story could have gone. But #3 took none of those paths, and didn't really wrap anything up.

In retrospect, it makes perfect sense. #3 ended in about the only way possible, without turning into a standard patronizing Hollywood Happy Ending.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:11 AM   #24
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

**WARNING: SPOILERS**

One part that bugged me was the gloss-over of the fact that "Neo has a connection to the Source!" Then they just quickly move on, like someone who trips, then looks around as they get up and walk away briskly to see if anybody saw what happened. The brothers just hastily applied one full can of fix-a-plot:

Andy W.: "...then, Neo says 'I can feel them,' raises his hand, and the sentinels blow up!"

Larry W.: "Awesome! How the hell can he do that though? We'll have to explain it in the third movie."

Andy W.: "No time to talk, I have ten beautiful Playmates waiting for me in my bed, which is a large pile of loose cash."

Larry W.: "You beautiful pagan god."

So, he has a connection to "The Source." How's that again? Has he got a wireless antenna sticking out of his ass that nobody noticed? Trinity just thought it was a special "The One" accessory? The machines just implanted a Wifi card in every human "battery," just for the hell of it?

And the subway station scenes were annoying. I know what they were trying to accomplish with them, but they didn't do anything for the plot, and should not have been there, if you ask me.

And the death scene was too long, and utterly failed to make me give a damn.

Ok, I'm done.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #25
Bitman
cellar smellar

I see, you're One of those. Alotta people complain about the death scene, but I found it was just long enough. I had already accepted the pacing of the movie (I tend to do that) and that scene was fine.

But you got me on the rest of it -- The battery thing makes no sense (humans are the least efficient way to convert food matter (whatever it's made of) to energy. The Bluetooth thing made no sense either.

The whole series rolled right off the end of the science fiction tracks in to the realm of fantasy, where magic exists even in the real world.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:59 PM   #26
stir
Questionist

So my brain started to try to flee my skull and run away from trying to avoid having to think about how Neo can blow up machines. But after reading some comments from others around the web here's how I see it in condensed form.

Neo is special because he has control over the Matrix -> The machines are powered by the energy of the matrix (becoming part of the matrix in a sense) -> Neo's power extends to them because of that connection (Source, Architect, etc.)

I also think it was purposefully left vague so the bro's can keep moving the plot along in other mediums (games, tv series, board games, etc.)
Old 12-08-2003, 08:09 PM   #27
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

How about THIS for a "Matrix Revolution"? The fact that the new defense for murderers is insanity, based on the BS that they think they're in the matrix...remember the two snipers who were shooting people a while back? The younger of the two claims that he was killing people because he believed he was in the matrix....yeah, RIIIIIIGHT. Problem is, he's got social workers (you know, those psychiatrist wannabes who think they know more than they do, and cause more trouble than they're worth?) who have jumped on his bandwagon... *sigh*

anyone interested in reading about this, the link is:

http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/ba...,1909905.story

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:01 AM   #28
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'm going to assume everyone has seen this movie by now and give a few things away. Close this thread if you haven't seen the movie.

I was very disappointed that they changed the woman playing the Oracle. I also was disappointed they didn't bring the twins back from part 2. They spent way too much time on CGI and not enough on story or acting. While it was sad that Neo and Trinity died, I think it was inevitable.

But I was incredibly dissatisfied with the ending because a "truce" between the machines and people seems utterly unlikely and fleeting at best. Both require domination of the other in order to survive.

There were a few gaping holes in the plot and that bothered me. The trilogy started off so well, and just petered out in the end. It's really a shame. I can't tell you how many movies I've seen like that. They have a great premise, excellent casting, and they start off great, but it seems like they run out of gas halfway and end the movie just to end it.

After seeing the second movie, and hearing what the Architect said, I thought the third movie would have people realize that they were in a matrix inside a matrix inside a matrix and they'd have to wake up again as they did in the first movie. This would have been an awesome plot twist.

On the 5 star scale I'd rate the movies like this.

The Matrix - 4.5 Stars
Matrix Reloaded - 3.5 Stars
Matrix Revolution - 2.5 Stars
Old 12-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #29
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The original Oracle actress died, so it's probably more appropriate to be disappointed that they had to change the actress.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #30
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I didn't know she died. I guess that explains at least the cast change for her character but not the rest of the problems.

GLORIA FOSTER

Date of birth
November 15, 1933
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Date of death
September 29, 2001
New York, New York, USA (diabetes)