The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-14-2005, 04:56 PM   #16
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

REPEATING THE 5 PM AST POSITION...13.3 N... 65.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 21 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...115 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 968 MB.....28.59 INCHES

jeez-louise! a cat 3 already and the second major hurricane in a row. cripes! it's only freakin' july!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:06 PM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

As with last year, been watching storms roll off Africa. Emily is just above South America at about 65 degrees W. Behind her are two more storms at about 40 W and 28 W. The second looked like it was going to be another whopper. It started to spin, then spread out (disintegrated) upon hitting the Atlantic. Meanwhile the next storm is about to roll out of Africa. It too could be Tropical Storm #6. These storms are rolling out of Africa just like they were last year. Except last year, this much 'rolling' was in August and September.
Attached Images

Last edited by tw; 07-14-2005 at 07:35 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:49 PM   #18
tw

Storms continued to roll off of Africa. But few turned into tropical storms. The problem lately has been upper atmosphere winds that were (in simple terms) ripping the tops off of potential hurricanes. Meanwhile, a few did form only to turn northward before approaching the US. Latest (the first week in August) is Harvey. Currently located about 65 degree W (due south of Nova Scotia), Harvey can be see in this satellite photo. Notice potential hurricane producing storms continue to flow off of Africa:
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #19
tw

Irene, Jose, Katrina, Lee, Maria, and Nate are names you will become familiar with. As Harvey continues moving off to the NW - maybe going after the Brits - a new tropical depression has already formed before even getting half way across the Atlantic. Currently around 30-35 degree W, this storm is on a slightly more southern track that should bring it closer to the US mainland next week. Have you made your plans yet for August 13?
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #20
tw

Its now called Irene. But FL residents can take a breather. It too is headed north following the path of Tropical Storm Harvey - and maybe threaten Bermuda.

Last edited by tw; 08-07-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #21
glatt

Looks like Irene is aimed right for the Cellar. It's still a tropical storm, but is expected to be upgraded to a hurricane before it hits Philadelphia on Thursday morning.

Edit: This image is hosted by NOAA, and is updated regularly. It seems to be turning more toward NYC now.

Last edited by glatt; 08-12-2005 at 09:18 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #22
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Start charging those digital video/still device batteries now, Cellarites. We'll need to see some first hand coverage.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:54 PM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

There is an interview with Gray, the meteorologist tw mentioned, in the September Discover. He feels he had his funding cut under Clinton/Gore because of his opposition to the idea that global warming increases the severity of hurricane seasons.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #24
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I can help - I'll be somewhere around ground zero for Irene. I'm right now in lovely Raleigh NC, and am slated to leave on Saturday morning and possibly to return on Tuesday.

Unless Irene has different plans for me. Toilet Paper, dried milk, bottled water, and crackers anyone?

(Much different storm prep than the PA Snow runs that's for sure!)

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:01 AM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How are you going to make french toast out of that?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:46 AM   #26
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney
I can help - I'll be somewhere around ground zero for Irene. I'm right now in lovely Raleigh NC, and am slated to leave on Saturday morning and possibly to return on Tuesday.

Unless Irene has different plans for me. Toilet Paper, dried milk, bottled water, and crackers anyone?

Bah. The eye isnt even coming onshore. It's a rainstorm, ya'll.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #27
glatt

The image I posted above is hosted by NOAA, and is updated once or twice a day. Storm seems to be turning slightly to the North now and may miss NC, DC, and Philly as it targets Long Island and New England.

We'll see...
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #28
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
There is an interview with Gray, the meteorologist tw mentioned, in the September Discover. He feels he had his funding cut under Clinton/Gore because of his opposition to the idea that global warming increases the severity of hurricane seasons.
Well, he should be happier now that the current administration's attitude is pretty much "anything that makes money can't be bad for the environment." Bet he'll get plenty of funding.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #29
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

this'll help..... National Hurricane Center
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #30
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney

what? no chef-boy-r-dee? and where's the beer?