The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

You could fuck with that guy soooooo bad....

Meet up and tell him all the things he doesn't want to hear.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Isn't Jeffery Dahmer dead?
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
JBKlyde
Banned

well it's the "Boley Program" who refered me to the study and it's my original doctor who put me on the meds who is conducting the study.. if I start going nuts I will go back on the meds.. not quite sure if it's smart to take me off the meds but I am willing with all the safe guards in place..

Last edited by JBKlyde; 10-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The docs are getting smarter and smarter at this sort of thing. Someday they will have it completely figured out. Stay strong JB.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I firmly believe that one day they will cure alcoholism and alcoholics will be able to drink like normal people. Same deal with schizophrenia. They'll be able to identify the thing that makes it happen and zap it dead.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #21
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

They don't cure nothing.
Same diseases been hanging out
since l was a kid, man.
What's the last shit a doctor cured? Polio.
You know how long ago polio was?
That's like the first season of Lucy.
Shit, Fred had an Afro with finger waves!
Have you ever met anybody with polio?

The same diseases been hanging out
since l was a kid:
AlDS, sickle cell, tuberculosis, cancer,
Jerry's kids still limping around.

They ain't curing it,
'cause there ain't no money in the cure.
The money's in the medicine.
That's how you get paid, on the comeback.
That's how a drug dealer makes his money,
on the comeback.

--Chris Rock
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
They don't cure nothing.
Same diseases been hanging out
since l was a kid, man.
What's the last shit a doctor cured? Polio.
You know how long ago polio was?
That's like the first season of Lucy.
Shit, Fred had an Afro with finger waves!
Have you ever met anybody with polio?

The same diseases been hanging out
since l was a kid:
AlDS, sickle cell, tuberculosis, cancer,
Jerry's kids still limping around.

They ain't curing it,
'cause there ain't no money in the cure.
The money's in the medicine.
That's how you get paid, on the comeback.
That's how a drug dealer makes his money,
on the comeback.

--Chris Rock
I agree 100% . But there ARE people who ARE good who ARE trying. the fact that they're being discredited and repressed doesn't mean someday rainbows won't come flying out someone's ass and something will get cured.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
glatt

The most interesting and hopeful thing I've heard of lately (maybe I heard it here on the Cellar) is the doctors who had discovered how to culture cancer cells from a person with cancer.

The hope is that once this technique becomes perfected and widely available, they can get a sample from a tumor, grow more of it, so there are a hundred petri dishes full of this cancer, and then apply various chemo to the different dishes to see which kind of chemo is most effective for that particular tumor. Then the jump straight to that particular chemo, rather than just guessing and wasting time.

You read about these studies and the reporters all make it sound like its a huge breakthrough that will change everything, but they use words like "may," and "could," "promising," and "hope" but I was really encouraged when I read this news because it seems like a whole new approach. I hope it's implemented widely soon.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Smallpox. 1980 (last naturallly-occurring case was 1977). Eradicated after a multi-national effort overseen by the WHO.

Polio, on the other hand, has NOT been eradicated, contrary to what Genius Chris Rock says. The WHO has been trying hard to achieve that, but there are pockets of it left, particularly in northern Nigeria. The population there checked out anti-vaccination sites on the internet and decided the CIA is trying to sterilize them all through vaccination programs. Yes, the CIA used a phony vaccination program in its efforts to locate Bin Laden. The moron who dreamed that scheme up should have to personally care for children dying of polio.

Some diseases, like cholera, won't ever be eradicated because there's a huge natural reservoir where the bug can live forever (seawater, essentially).

And then there are the multifactorial diseases that are related to environment, diet, lifestyle, genetics, and who knows what else, and no, they haven't all been eradicated. Not for want of trying.

Sure, big pharma's in it for the money. But 'they', the 'they' who are honestly trying to find cures and relieve suffering, deserve a major apology from Rock.
What an asshole. An ignorant one at that.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
JBKlyde
Banned

small pox.. that got cured didn't it...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
orthodoc

Yes, it did - eradicated, that is to say. Hopefully the first of many, but it's not as easy as Chris Rock thinks.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #27
infinite monkey

Yeah, um...that was a routine from 1999. And it was a comedy routine, with a point that time (note strides made in aids treatment in 13 years.)

Tough room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Smallpox. 1980 (last naturallly-occurring case was 1977). Eradicated after a multi-national effort overseen by the WHO.

Polio, on the other hand, has NOT been eradicated, contrary to what Genius Chris Rock says. The WHO has been trying hard to achieve that, but there are pockets of it left, particularly in northern Nigeria. The population there checked out anti-vaccination sites on the internet and decided the CIA is trying to sterilize them all through vaccination programs. Yes, the CIA used a phony vaccination program in its efforts to locate Bin Laden. The moron who dreamed that scheme up should have to personally care for children dying of polio.

Some diseases, like cholera, won't ever be eradicated because there's a huge natural reservoir where the bug can live forever (seawater, essentially).

And then there are the multifactorial diseases that are related to environment, diet, lifestyle, genetics, and who knows what else, and no, they haven't all been eradicated. Not for want of trying.

Sure, big pharma's in it for the money. But 'they', the 'they' who are honestly trying to find cures and relieve suffering, deserve a major apology from Rock.
What an asshole. An ignorant one at that.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
orthodoc

I know it was a comedy routine, thought about giving him a pass on it, but if you read the whole thing it's just one big insult to people who don't deserve it. The folks who're really trying, not pharma. And then he didn't bother (or his writers didn't bother) to check facts ...

yeah, tough room
Old 10-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #29
infinite monkey

We'll be here all week, folks. Try the hemlock.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I know a lot of good people who are TRYING. And a lot of good people tried then died and no one acknowledged their work - like Linus Pauling. Yes, there is good work out there. Yes, it IS being suppressed or discredited.

You make your picks and you takes your chances. Everybody has to be their own advocate and when you're sick, it's damn hard to do.

—James Barrie