The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
All other points aside, this is, yes, exactly what we expect them to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I agree with smooth. Yes, that is exactly what I would want them to do, and know how to do.
Wishful thinking - I really do not see how that is a practical expectation for decisionmaking in any "organization" the size of our Gov't. That's what the delegation of responsibilities is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee
I watch United 93, a real time account, and it's chilling: no one ever expected anything like this. We need to expect anything. Our highest ranking officials should have a game plan, so that yes, they can take over every aspect of everything immediately. Scary and cynical, but true.
So what you are saying is all the people on that plane should have waited for a call from GWB before taking any action???? HUH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
The last thing you want in an emergency situation with "fog of war" in effect is for all command decisions to come from the very top. WTF does the Pres know about grounding commercial aviation? "Sir, do you want them to just head to the closest airport from the nearest beacon?" "Wait let me call my buddy who's a pilot and we can figure that out."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
No need for a "word". They already have it.
You nailed it, as usual.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

I want the people with the most knowledge and experience, the most competance and the most cool under fire to act when there is a situation It is the president's job to be in charge at all times. Maybe it shouldn't be. I for one am glad that Bush was not ruling the roost at this point.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #18
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
So what you are saying is all the people on that plane should have waited for a call from GWB before taking any action???? HUH?
HUH? right back atcha. I was referring to the timeline of the decision making events. Have you seen the movie?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #19
classicman

Yes, about 5-6 times. Why?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
Shawnee123

Oh, you're going to do that?

Never mind.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #21
classicman

Gonna do what? To what are you referring?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Link

I happened upon this article and haven't heard a peep about it anywhere else. Any thoughts.

I think its a good thing that the internet is there as, if nothing else, a form of communication when all hell is breaking loose.

Some will see it as a "control" issue - others probably think its our Gov't taking care of us..... Whadda you you think?
Lesson learned from the recent election unpleasantness in Iran?

Isn't there some saying about "who controls the flow of information?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #23
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
So what you expected was for 1 man or at best a group of what 10(?) to take over every aspect of everything immediately? Seems to me the people in charge of their respective areas would be the ones to stat doing this,
The Chief of Staff whispers in his ear, "A second plane has just struck the World Trade Center. American is under attack." So what does he do? He did exactly what you as an extremist would do. He sat there. He did nothing. He never even asked one question. After 15 minutes he finally got out of a child's chair - while America was under attack for another 15 minutes.

He could not decide what to do next. His next major decision was to get out of a child's chair (even if it scared FL school children). Eventually a Secret Service agent had to make obvious decisions.

Common knowledge - not even debatable. The George Jr administration was incompetent everywhere. That original post is a complete lie. No wonder wackos did everything they could to subvert the 911 Commission - also a well documented fact. Otherwise their extremist disciples could not post lies here. And yet one would post a lie – and then deny it is a lie?

The original post is as suspect as its source. "A Senate source familiar with the bill compared the president's power to take control of portions of the Internet to what President Bush did when grounding all aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001." Anyone with minimal grasp of reality knows that is a complete lie. “A second plane has just struck the World Trade Center.” The president just sits there doing nothing until sometime after 9:20. Never even asks one question. So John White at 9:25 does what he does not even have the power to do. He – not the mental midget – commands a nationwide ground stop. Because nobody would make a decision. George Jr was too busy trying to decide to get up from a child’s chair – did not even ask one question. Wacko extremists cannot deal with this reality. classicman even denies it.

Then wackos blamed Saddam! Of course, sooner or later, Obama will be blamed. Wackos will say anything, even here, to defend routine extremist incompetence. Defend obvious incompetence on 11 September.

Now those wackos deny they were blaming Saddam for 11 Sept? Extremists must rewrite history including “President Bush grounded all aircraft”. He could not even decide to get out of a child’s chair. No problem. Extremists will tell us how to think and who to fear. That is what the original post does - tell us who to fear. Enemies are still lurking everywhere waiting to kill us all. Axis of evil: anyone who read the 911 Commission report.

The original post is obviously suspect due to its source. It even lies about George Jr. Any honest person knows wackos could never make a decision to protect America – which even explains why we must refight the Afghanistan war all over again.

What is the greatest threat to America? The author of that original post and anyone who would entertain the fears that wackos need to promote. It even rewrites history as any good wacko would do: George Jr ordered a nationwide ground stop. Who is still so demented as to believe that? Only a wacko.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Now tw, stop... breath...in, out, in, out, in, out... take a sip of water...
Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 AM   #25
Shawnee123

Quote:
Gonna do what? To what are you referring?
It goes like this (paraphrase, of course):

Me: I think...blah blah blah, because if you pay attention to the timeline there were a lot of decisions that could have been made more efficiently...blah blah blah the movie illustrates this...blah blah blah.

You (or a number of other posters): HUH? Are you stupid. Those people on the plane...

Me: Have you seen the movie? I'm not talking about the people on the plane...

You: Yeah, 9000 times. What of it.

(At this point I'm thinking "what of it" is that I was referring to the timeline of events that we weren't prepared for and perhaps we could be better prepared but what the fuck am I doing hitting this brick wall again) so I say:

Oh, you're going to do that? Never mind.

You: Going to do what?

That is your circular argument crap. Y'all may not think I have anything to add or anything worthy to say. That's fine. Just don't pull the crap you pull on tw. You don't want intelligent discourse, like so many others, you want drama and crap.

I just get really tired of trying to add something to the conversation, when it's really quite futile.

You know why some of you hate the T-dub? Because he's usually right.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 08-31-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #26
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Lesson learned from the recent election unpleasantness in Iran?

Isn't there some saying about "who controls the flow of information?"
This post should not be lost in the tempest.

And about this "emergency control", he couldn't over-ride rule 34, could he?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
classicman

Sorry- Shaw - perhaps my huh came out wrong in text. I was honestly asking which part you were referring to in the movie. I've got a LOT on my plate and was looking for a little distraction. Now I got you. Also you have much to add to these discussions and I wish you would get off the "you all think..." crap and say what you think. Personally, I think you have more to add and more people are interested in hearing/reading it than you think.

Oh and welcome back Tommy. You still gotta work on getting them under 1000 words, avoid using "wacko extremists", insults and actually address the point instead of just posting another anti-Bush rant, but its nice to see your blood is still flowing.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #28
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I want the people with the most knowledge and experience, the most competance and the most cool under fire to act when there is a situation It is Obama'sjob to be in charge at all times. Maybe it shouldn't be. I for one am glad that Bush was not ruling the roost at this point.
I fixed that for ya.:p
Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #29
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
You know why some of you hate the T-dub? Because he's usually right.
Hate? Pretty strong word there. Wacko extremist? Yea. :p
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #30
classicman

Quote:
You know why some of you hate the T-dub? Because he's usually WAYYYYY LEEEEEFFFFTTTTT.