The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 09-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Maybe read up on this a little more.
OK, done. That was untrue. Water does not "cluster". Shui Yin Lo is a quack who claimed to have made room temperature ice.
Quote:
Have you ever had a teething baby? Seriously.
I haven't had one, but I've had younger siblings. It may seem like it, but they don't actually cry 24 hours a day. They will stop at some point.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
jinx
Come on, cat.

So a burn left untreated will stop hurting as quickly as it will if treated with calendula? Do a little experiment on your own and find out.

And maybe read this.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
So a burn left untreated will stop hurting as quickly as it will if treated with calendula? Do a little experiment on your own and find out.
A quick Googling reveals calendula to be an ointment with an actual herbal component. I don't know about it in particular, but it is at least possible for herbal remedies to work, as they actually have ingredients, and many medicines are derived from plants. Herbal remedies (the ones that actually work) don't rely on "vibrations" or "clustering", they are essentially weak versions of the actual medications that are derived from them.
Quote:
And maybe read this.
I know what natural frequency and natural resonance are.

Natural resonance is irrelevant to the concept of homeopathy. It is based on a real vibration, not "vibration" or water "clusters".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
Natural resonance describes the minute vibration frequency that every object has. If you get two objects sharing an exact natural resonance, it can lead to those vibrations being excited into stronger ones.
When they say vibration here, they are talking about actual, physical, left-right-up-down-to-fro movement. Resonance in a molecule will result in heat- that's how microwave ovens work. Resonance in a liquid will result in waves. Kids often discover this in the bath, when they make splashes at just the right frequency to amplify them over the side of the tub. Resonance in a sugar pill will cause it to crumble.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
jinx
Come on, cat.

A quick googling will reveal arnica montana, bee venom, belladonna, arsenic etc. to be actual substances - and yet when prepared homeopathically, like calendula, they should be ineffective according to your argument.

All I'm saying is that in my experience, the shit works. If you're saying that you're not buying it because current science can't explain it to your satisfaction - I'm fine with that. And it still works.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
By side effects I mean things like walking funny, drooling, twitching, and not being able to maintain an erection ...
I did not know that Bob Dole was a side effect...

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #21
Happy Monkey

Yes, when prepared homeopathically, they are useless. Calendula as well. If they are prepared in an herbal or folk concoction, they may be useful (or harmful). That's one thing that is good about homeopathic remedies- they can honestly say there are no harmful side effects, as there are no effects at all.

For example, if you take some calendula and mix it with fat, and smear it on a burn, then you are applying calendula to the burn. If calendula is efficacious, then it will have its effect.

If you take calendula, and mix it into ten units of water, and then repeat that process thirty times, then all you will have left is water, and when you put it on a burn, it will be as useful as water.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
jinx
Come on, cat.

So calendula 1X HPUS in fat would do what?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
Happy Monkey

Apparently 1X means one part calendula to 9 parts water. So there's still some actual ingredient in there. It would do whatever calendula does. If smearing calendula on a burn is helpful, is still may work in a 1X.

On the other hand, getting a 90% water mixture to stick in fat is a bit of a trick. You'd be better off using the raw calendula and putting the right dose directly into the fat. 0X HPUS, if you will.

Assuming, of course, that calendula is beneficial in the first place.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #24
jinx
Come on, cat.

Interesting article related to vibrations...

Quote:
All objects have resonant frequencies at which they naturally oscillate. Pluck a guitar string and it will vibrate at a resonant frequency.
But resonating can get out of control. A famous example is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, which warped and finally collapsed in 1940 due to a wind that rocked the bridge back and forth at one of its resonant frequencies.
Viruses are susceptible to the same kind of mechanical excitation. An experimental group led by K. T. Tsen from Arizona State University have recently shown that pulses of laser light can induce destructive vibrations in virus shells.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good, good, good, good vibrations!