Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 PM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
I have my own cards/accounts (general use account, saving account(swiss) and busienss account) but i keep the statements in my room.
Wow...lucky you. You can't get your own card in the States until you're 18...in most cases (b/c you are signing a contract).

A SWISS account? Shit...now I want one. Although, they don't seem to offer as much protection as they used to.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:24 PM   #17
dave

What are the benefits to having a Swiss account? How does one come about getting one? Do they offer online banking?
Old 01-14-2002, 01:23 PM   #18
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

And once we've stamped out those dangerous, cash-wielding terrorists, it'll be time to go after those on-line cyber-terrorists who use PGP.

There's just no reason for that kind of strong encryption to be in the hands of civilians; the use of any encryption method stronger than ROT-13 should be made a felony. All email should be transmitted in plaintext format. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear.

After that, we're going after envelope manufacturers!
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:26 PM   #19
dave

He's jokin'.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:43 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy
After that, we're going after envelope manufacturers!
Well, that character on Seinfeld DID die from licking too many cheap envelopes.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:46 PM   #21
jaguar
whig

Syc, the cards are debit only, no credit =(, somehow afriend of mine got a credit, i think its in his parents name somehow or something. Swiss account? Swiss rellies (dad), i don't have access to it till i'm 18, so its a good way to save, my grandparents put money in there was well. Personal protection is still *very* good, they make cops just though allota hoops before they'll hand over *anything*, not that i need that of course *whistles innocently*.

Lisa "what would you ever want to do in private?" - Brave New World. Read it.

Quote:
I suppose that none of the people who say these things have ever done or said anything that they would MIND the world knowing about.
Thats teh really depressing bit for me, we've wholesale swallowed the concept that we don't come up with ideas, companies come up with ideas and sell them to us, talk about social conditioning.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:50 PM   #22
jaguar
whig

I absolutely love this passage.

What if the whole deal - orientation, knowing where you are, and so on - what if its all a scam? What if all of it - home kinship, the whole enchilada - is just the biggest, most truely global, and centuries old piece of brainwashing? Suppose thats its only when u let go your real life begins? When your whirling free of the mother ship, when you cut your ropes, slip your chain, step off the map, go absent without leave, scam, vamoose, whatver: suppose that its then, and only then that your actually free to act! To lead the life nobody tells you how to live, or when, or why. In which nobody orders you to go forth and die for them, or for god, or comes to get you becuase you broke one of the rules, or becuase you're one of the people who are, for reasons which unfortunately you can't be given, simply not allowed. Suppose you've got to go through the feeling of being lost, into the chaos and beyond; you've got to accept the loneliness ,the wild panic of losing your moorings the vertiginous terror of the horizen spinning round and round like the edge of a coin tossed in the air.

You won't do it. Most of you won't do it. The worlds head laundry is pretty good at washing brains: Don't jump off that cliff don't walk through that door don't step into that waterfall don't take that chance don't step across that line don't ruffle my sensativities I'm warning you now don't make me mad you're doing it to make me mad. You won't have a chance you you haven't got a prayer your finished your history your're less than nothing, your dead to me dead to your whole family your nation your race, everything you ought to love more than life and listen to like your masters voice and follow blindly and bow down before and worship and obey; your dead, you hear me, forget about it, you stupid bastard, I don't even know your name.
- Salman Rushdie - The ground beneath her feet.