Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
Being of draft age and obviously knowing kids of draft age I will tell you the two most quoted statements when it comes to Bush.

"Bush is an idiot"
"I don't really care, as long as I don't get drafted"

If their was a draft in the war against terror, colleges would riot. Parents would freak out, Bush would have the whole US population except maybe 10-15% not just against him, but out to kill him.
That's wishful thinking. Do you think Bob Jones University would riot? How about Virginia Military? Utah? Texas A&M?

85% out to kill Bush? When at least half the people in the country wouldn't be affected? I don't think we have to worry about civil insurrection.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #17
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Of course it was exaggeration but the point is Americans won't take it likely. At least the ones affected by it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #18
Ibby
erika

No, the average American nowadays is as apathetic as a slug, until you pour salt on them.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I don't think we have to worry about civil insurrection.
While I appreciate your optimism, I do not share it. Fire up the draft and it'll be more than the occasional dingbat stalking the ranch in Crawford. Much more.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #20
rkzenrage

Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #21
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Nice articles, but they certainly are rather biased. Did you read the homepage and the link: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/who.htm
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #22
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I am aware of how bias it is but it gives the opposite side than what we are used to hearing so I thought it would be a nice balance. Here are two more articles by the way.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle15564.htm

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle13590.htm

I thought of something while reading this and I was suprised I didn't think of this earlier.

The US and Israel are against a nuclear armed Iran. Iran says it only wants nuclear power, not weapons. We say it is bullshit. To prove this couldn't we offer to help build power plants with other technology? Then Iran wouldn't have an excuse to become nuclear armed and it would help Iran accomplish it's economic goals.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:23 AM   #23
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
I am aware of how bias it is but it gives the opposite side than what we are used to hearing so I thought it would be a nice balance.
Interesting reading indeed ph. Thanks for the links.

Quote:
Here are two more articles by the way.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle15564.htm

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle13590.htm

I thought of something while reading this and I was suprised I didn't think of this earlier.

The US and Israel are against a nuclear armed Iran. Iran says it only wants nuclear power, not weapons. We say it is bullshit. To prove this couldn't we offer to help build power plants with other technology? Then Iran wouldn't have an excuse to become nuclear armed and it would help Iran accomplish it's economic goals.
I like it. This is a positive step. Based on Iran's response to our offer, we could determine their intentions. If Iran accepts our technological assistance and allows the inspectors unrestricted access, how can the US or the world deny a country the right to provide an energy source for its people's welfare?
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #24
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

However, any time you're generating with nuclear power, you will have plutonium getting made. If there's plutonium getting made, and any real progress toward a fuel rod reprocessing capacity, fission weapons are not merely a likely possibility. Even the presence of a plutonium reactor to use the Pu-239 etc for power generation shall not guarantee an absence of fissile nuclear weapons material in stockpile, awaiting the best misuse.

There's a lot of useless, even fatuous, blather about allowing Iran a nuclear power plant but keeping reprocessing and enrichment out of that country. Keeping monopolies is a foredoomed folly -- who the hell accepts a choice between getting our friends or ourselves nuked soon, or nuked some years later? Somebody who really wants to be remembered like Neville Chamberlain, I'd say.

The combination of the Ahmedinajad government and nuclear power alarms everyone but Kim Jong Il.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Iran already has oil. You suggest using something other than nuclear technology. Whatever it is, we'd be interested in seeing it in the UK before you start giving it to the Iranians please
Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #26
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
But Bush doesnt care about congress, remember? It's not a war, its an executively declared emergency requiring use of military strength by the president. He doesnt listen to Congress at all. Even less now that it's not completely in his pocket.
Absolutely.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #27
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
It would never get passed, we have no more extra troops and the senate and house would NEVER allow it.
The trouble is that we're sending 21,500 extra troops to the region anyway. We've already got several carrier strike groups in the Persian gulf and surrounding seas and there is another aircraft carrier on it's way.

Every news source that mentions the USS Stennis sailing to the Persian Gulf says that it is a warning to Iran, and I doubt that aircraft carriers would be very useful for calming sectarian violence in Iraq.

Antiwar.com also has a collection of evidence that we're edging toward a war with Iran.

Last edited by Torrere; 01-15-2007 at 11:13 AM. Reason: added justin raimondo article
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #28
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Yes, after today I have realized that fact that we, against all logic and common sense, probably will go to war with Iran. If Iran does have those Sunburn missles, we are going to get raped in the Persian Gulf, there is no escape route.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hell, Gary Hart believes the Iran invasion will be the "October Surprise" before the November elections.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #30
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Iran was always on Bush's hit list; he needs Iran to get that oil pipeline.
I sincerely hope with every fibre of my being, that he is kicked out of office and brought to trial for war crimes, and that no more British, American and Allied troops, along with thousands of innocent civilians, have to die for this insanity.