The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The rivers shall run the wind will blow...........I know this may sound silly or even somehow politically incorrect, but to me we are not threatned by intellect but the unwiilingness to reflect...............
That's as clear as mud, but it covers the ground.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:46 AM   #17
onetrack
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Boeing has a record of every part I machined in 1966 and what ship it was used on
Bruce - That makes me feel real comfortable .. knowing that, when the wing drops off the 747, I'm flying in .. the investigators who pick over my remains, will be able to put down .. on another hundred reams of paper .. just WHY that wing fell off .. and WHO was responsible ..

Another oxymoron .. would have to be, in the U.S. military system of recording EVERY part, EVERY supplier, EVERY quality angle, and EVERY repair .. only to put the chopper into the sky .. to then have it blasted into scrap .. by a $500 shoulder-launched RPG .. probably built in a backyard foundry in Farkeruppestan .. by an illiterate radical fundamentalist ..

Ye-e-s, technology works .. but how little it takes .. to make it all fail ..
Old 11-06-2004, 05:08 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the wing of your 747 falls off and they find out a part is at fault, they can quickly locate all the planes that have parts from the same batch.

I suspect the Mil Spec system grew out of the military desire for orderly sameness, the ability to get the same thing from numerous suppliers, and be assured "the lowest bidder" isn't cutting corners. But of course, like anything the gumint does, it grew like topsy.
It's like "Mothers against drunk drivers", if you criticize any aspect of their dogma, you're labeled a heretic that doesn't support the troops.
The military is getting savy to the fact that by going through the lengthy process they won't get the latest and greatest. This has become an issue as they rely on more high tech materials and electronics. Some military aircraft are going with electronics used in commercial planes. That is for non-weapons systems of course.