The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
From another POV, hey, nobody mentioned the fan in the above picture. I bet it stinks like nothin' else in that room. Pigs are good eatin', and smart, but they can reek too.
Since pigs don't sweat the don't stink that way. Their crap and farts however are realllllly rank. If you keep them in a pasture instead of a pen and give them water they can swim in, they hardly smell at all. But anyone that's been near a pig farm knows when you concentrate the population, you concentrate the smell.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #17
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Somewhere in North America there is another 'tradition' involving hurting animals. It's called a suicide run involving men riding horses along a course at full speed and ending with a run down a severely steep sandy slope straight into a river. Men & horses being injured is standard, being killed is a definate possiblity.
It's called the Omak Stampede and Suicide Race. Right here in the Pacific Northwest in Eastern Washington. It's a knucklebiter to watch. It's very exciting, but you wouldn't catch me doing that to myself or a horse.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:57 PM   #18
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

Poor piggie, he thought he was in heaven being so pampered and loved for so long, then they did that to him.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:47 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Look on the bright side Leah. He could have been treated like any other pig and then eaten. So he made out well.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The suicide race looks pretty hairy but then again steeplechase looks pretty dangerous too.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 PM   #21
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Re: 8/21/2003: Huge pig sacrificed

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Unfortunately for the pig, that means it was the largest pig killed in a sacrificial ceremony. It was the largest of 30 such sacrificed pigs, who are neutered at an early age and then force-fed to get them to reach enormous weights.

All for the purpose of this traditional religious ritual of the Hakka people of Taiwan, a culture that makes up about 15% of the island's population.
And this is news why? Who gives a fuck? Go enjoy your ham sandwich and stop trying to protray this as bad. If you actually care, go vegan, or shut the fuck up.

Now I know you're trying to just report interesting news, so I'll give you that. But don't try and add some boo hoo woe is the pig angle on it, while none of you actually give a shit.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #22
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Oh oh...whatever Goethean has got, it is spreading like wildfire...
Old 08-22-2003, 12:29 AM   #23
juju
no one of consequence

For God's sake... where does it end??
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:28 AM   #24
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

What is the difference between a sacrifice and cooking dinner?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 01:30 AM   #25
juju
no one of consequence

With a sacrifice, the animal's death has religious significance.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:07 AM   #26
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
But as far as the pig goes, sacrificing a pig or something to the "gods" is very common everywhere. It's only natural to pick the biggest (best) for that and of course the person that raised it would be honored also....But the tradition continues because it ties the generations together. It honors not only the gods but ancestors, part of the culture. I really see no harm in that the pig was not a pet, but born and raised to be eaten.
I think you'll find that it's predominately modern well fed cultures that this animal rights/welfare attitude exists. Elsewhere animals were food or tools except the occasional pet.
Luckly, Bruce, I agree with you (I'm not sure, but I don't think Stonan would, of course we haven't heard any reply yet.) I realize that many cultures sacrifice animals to the gods and although I would never do that I don't have a huge issue with it as long as the people don't ultimately kill it in an inhumane way such as burning it alive or something. As I said before, I do feel that the pig suffered having been forced to be obese, but I realize piggie's ultimate purpose was to be eaten and as long as the people do comsume the pig after 'sacrificing' it I can live w/ that.

Believe it or not, my reply post was mainly for Stonan. I am a huge animal right's advocate, but I don't appreciate "wanna-be's" who randomly go around sticking their 2-cents in saying everything under the sun is animal abuse and then quietly leaving without defending their position. It makes the rest of 'us' who actually try to do something about animal abuses look like blubbering idiots and then we are left to deal w/ the Quzah's of the world. I was kinda testing Stonan to see if he/she has what it takes to come into the Cellar and make a remark like that. I was trying to find out if Stonan is someone I could make future alliances w/ regarding animal right's stuff or if he/she is just an uninformed trouble-maker. This has yet to be seen and I'm waiting to hear back from Stonan.

Enjoy the ham sammie, Quzah:p

Mama Loves You Baby Girl ~ May You Rest In Peace
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:21 AM   #27
ndetroit
Master Locutor

Quote:
It's the hormones. Testosterone is really foul. If a boar gets over 300 lbs or so without being cut, you wouldn't like the taste. Even if they're cut at that point and grow much bigger and older, they still don't taste good.

Is that true for beef and poultry as well, or just pork? .. I've never heard this before, and I suppose this is pretty useful stuff.. Are most bred-for-consumption pigs neutered early in life? Is that the way it is for cows, etc too?

Is there a certain label I should be looking for on my meat when I go to the butcher shop?

I find it weird that there is such a differentiating factor in meats that I never knew about....

... and I used to work in a butcher shop.. O.o
ndetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:30 AM   #28
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Bruce said.....

Quote:
My grandfather didn't abuse his horses, not because he thought they were great noble beasts but for the same reason I don't take a hammer to my cars. They are valuable and I need them.
I'm sure your grandpa didn't abuse his horses, but I'm just as sure he did consider them "great noble beasts". Most people who work and live w/ animals, using them as 'tools' or for food, as opposed to simply having a pet, have a mutual respect for their animals and treat them with such.

Old 08-22-2003, 03:29 AM   #29
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by LUVBUGZ
It makes the rest of 'us' who actually try to do something about animal abuses look like blubbering idiots and then we are left to deal w/ the Quzah's of the world.

Enjoy the ham sammie, Quzah:p
Here's a clue stick, now hit yourself upside the head with it. I am vegan. I don't eat animals.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 04:07 AM   #30
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Here's a clue stick, now hit yourself upside the head with it. I am vegan. I don't eat animals.

Quzah.
Well, that felt good, hitting myself upside the head that is. I must now publicly apologize to Quzah for my premature comment. Not knowing you from Adam, I made the false assumption based on your reply to UT that you were an ignorant butt-head, but I guess I'm the butt-head here. I am sorry Quzah for my stab at you. Feel free to stab back. Just curious, do you think that Vegans are the only ones who really care about animal welfare because they don't eat them? I hope you're not one of those Vegans that proclaim to be the ultimate animal right's advocate while wearing a leather jacket and leather shoes with an egg and cheese burrito hanging out your mouth!