The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
Is molten choc the same as melted chocolate?
I would imagine it's more lava-like.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
Cloud

very creative and fun!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #18
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
more explosive?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #19
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
Is molten choc the same as melted chocolate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Next, make this!

Very nice, Sundae. Noms.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Chocolate can melt and reset.
Molten chocolate is still runny.
That is a personal definition not necessaryily supported by any kind of education.

And yes, it is lava-like.
But not like laver bread (Bara Lawr).
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

This was my attempt to make Easter chicks in nests.
As mentioned on another thread, I had to use a different type of cooking chocolate. It ended up far thinner than the one I am used to. My fault - I should have checked the wrapper beforehand.

So I had a major panic that the choc coating would not set (it did). Which made me skimp on the coating, in the hope it would eventually dry (it did). Which meant the brown of the cake showed through the yellow choc, and apparently gave it a slightly green tint.
Two people identified the chicks as frogs.
I need a better beak if I make them again.

I also didn't add the choc "Spagetti" to the nests, because of my fear that I might have to bin the lot. I think that would have suggested the nest more, and played down the frog aspect.

Funny thing is, I received so many compliments on the taste this time. Just when I'd decided not to do the fiddly stuff any more because the large cakes get the most approval after eating.

Here 'tis:
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

So.
Chocolate Castle Cake.

I made this with a view to presenting one for the May Fayre.
I am now unsure I will recreate it, and might just go with making a cake using my castle mould.

The main issue with the chocolate "bricks".
I bought a large bar of choc, and just assumed I'd be able to break it into equal pieces. NO. It resisted this furiously, either breaking right across the bricks, or adding a little bit on and taking a little bit off the next one. The result looks more like a castle ruin. Or a cake made by a special needs committee.

Of course I persevered, as no-one else has the picture I was trying to recreate (although you could find it, I'd rather you didn't) and I know I am pretty much my worst critic. The Oreos worked okay, but now I know where I can get the ones with a chocolate filling, so I would use those next time.

Despite my fears, the sponge cake tastes okay, and I have put the offcuts in the freezer to make cakepops.

The only thing I have left to do is to finish the towers. Four chocolate caramel wafer cornets to act as turrets. I won't do that til tomorrow morning because I want to keep the cake in a tin overnight (it won't fit with the cones on) and I don't want actual wafers to go too stale. I doubt they'll be eatn anyway, but best to preserve them if I can.

I was going to cut them down, but it turns o9ut they look pretty good exactly as they are.

So - cake before turrets.
Will take another pic of the finished item tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #23
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Looks brilliant! How many castles have regular, squared off bricks anyway? Only the one built by Andrew and Fergie!

Last edited by limey; 05-02-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Obviously I'd taken some spelling advice from Zip!
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

yyuummeh!

that looks sooooooo good!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #25
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Or a cake made by a special needs committee.
ur so gonna get in trouble.......

cake looks great.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Should have chocolate dipped the cones really.
But they might not have baan eaten anyway. In the end, untidy as it was, every other part was scoffed - even the biscuits, which I thought might get left behind.

Going to make a castle bundt cake for the May Fayre instead. At least I've made two of those now and am pretty confident. Might even make a Bacardi cake in the shape of a bat. See how industrious I feel on Saturday. The gratifying thing is I know a teacher or TA will buy it even if a parent doesn't, because they've said as such. They love being my guinea pigs. Yeah, wait til I have them neutered.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #27
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

As it turns out, there is a MOUNTAIN of cakes in the music room. Think 60 children all taking letters home to their parents asking for cakes for the cake stall. There are some beautiful (and some just sweet in their messiness) home made ones, but those who bought cakes went for quantity - possibly out of mis-placed guilt.

So I am not baking tomorrow.

Honestly, I doubt even half of them will be sold, given that not every child will attend, and some of the offerings are not all that tempting. We're predominantly a middle class school, and buying a tray of prepacked cheapo iced cakes with lots of sugar and additives won't appeal to at least 1/2 the parents.

We already rescued two bags of Tesco jam-filled doughnuts, which would have been inedible tomorrow, let alone Sunday. When I say "rescued" I mean transported to the staffroom! Nom nom nom. But hey - almost every member of staff is putting in 1-2 hours on Sunday. I reckon that covers 10 doughnuts!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #28
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I love your creativity Sundae, and the chicks are so cute. But I gotta say, I was reminded of these guys when I first saw them...
Attached Images

Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've already said, in another thread, that I WISH I'd made a big cake for the Fayre. We had four as I remember, and ALL were sold in my 90 minute stint on the stall. I could have made a great Bacardi cake and wowed a wider audience with my cathedral mould. Never mind, Ms McM (Deputy Head) said I can do it next year. True. But I reminded her I was on a one year contract. I wasn't being petty, I just have to keep track of these things. I admitted I'd be at the May Fayre regardless next year.

So the only cakes left were shop-bought.
And even in a staffroom of gannets, they were moving slowly.
So I swiped a twelve pack of fairy cakes.
"Ideal to decorate at home" it said.

NO.
VERY crumby, try to spread an icing and half the top of the cake comes off.

Still, I persevered.
I had mini Creme Eggs to get rid of after all.

They seemed to go down okay.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #30
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The one on the far right looks like Pilau...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote