The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-20-2001, 11:36 AM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Or in my home state of Missouri...they select a Democrat for governor and the Senate, yet the barefoot bastards outside of St. Louis voted for Dubya.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 02:21 AM   #17
jaguar
whig

For sycamore

The referendum (like an election to vote on one issue of constitutional change) was, in my honest opinion rigged, the model provided sucked big-time, there should have been a range of different systems to vote on after the blunt question of do we want to be a republic, instead of combining them which clouded the issue and caused the loss. Our currant PM is a monarchist, 'nuff said.

From what i gather from the international press (and i know it is VERY stereotypical) is that Texas is the home of rednecks, simple as that. We have a place like that in Australia, it’s called Queensland.

I do bag America allot, i know there are allot of good people there, and they’re just not in power...

Old 06-23-2001, 12:43 AM   #18
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Actually, I'd like to amke emntion that you are pretty much right, Texas isn't full of idiots. It's just that idiots in Texas are more high-profile than most idiots. Regular idiots crash their cars, Texas idiots run their superhumanly large, multiple-stories high mondo-ubertrucks through the desert with people duct-taped to the back. Texans idiots can elect an absolute moron to the position of governor, whereas normal idiots....wait....oh...sorry....<sits down>
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 01:35 AM   #19
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
The referendum (like an election to vote on one issue of constitutional change) was, in my honest opinion rigged, the model provided sucked big-time, there should have been a range of different systems to vote on after the blunt question of do we want to be a republic, instead of combining them which clouded the issue and caused the loss. Our currant PM is a monarchist, 'nuff said.
It seemed to me that you had a choice of either a) a president selected by parliament or b) the monarchy. Not much choice really. The question is, what does the majority of Australia want?

Quote:
From what i gather from the international press (and i know it is VERY stereotypical) is that Texas is the home of rednecks, simple as that. We have a place like that in Australia, it’s called Queensland.
What the hell is an Australian redneck though...seriously (As I'd be curious to hear)? My friend that lives in Brisbane seems pretty decent. ;-)

We have many more homes of rednecks: Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi...pretty much the entire southeastern US (except for South Florida and maybe Atlanta).

Quote:
I do bag America allot, i know there are allot of good people there, and they’re just not in power...
There are SOME good people in power, at least IMO. There aren't many, but there are some that really fight for their people. Jim Jeffords comes to mind. Also, Sen. Paul Wellstone of Minnesota. And as much as I shudder to think about it--Ted Kennedy.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2001, 04:46 AM   #20
jaguar
whig

Sycamore, ever heard of a person called Pauline Hanson?
A blantantly racist poltician who has had a series of triumphs and falls in Australian poltics over the last couple of years. Most of her supporters are in Queensland. Also the only state to still allow mass logging.

And yes you were right on the Republic Choices there. The majority wanted a referendum, and if i rmember correctly it was quite clsoe, but inside the republic movement there was much dissent over the exact system which is why i siad what i said above. It was lost over what type of republic, not whether to have one.

[Edited by jaguar on 06-24-2001 at 05:49 AM]