The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #286
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
Only for in the US (and maybe Canada). Proper pronuniation elsewhere is SKWI-r*l. (First part sounds like "squid" without the d, and second sounds like "Errol" without the E.) This pronuniation is also used by some speakers in the USA. Both pronunciations are considered correct.
Nay, nay....common pronunciation maybe, but proper pronunciation is one syllable.

BTW, it's pronunciation not pronuniation. :p
Old 03-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #287
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Nay, nay....common pronunciation maybe, but proper pronunciation [of "squirrel"] is one syllable.
Only in the USA (and maybe Canada) as I said before. If you tried saying "squurl" in other anglophone countries, some people may give you funny looks, some may not understand you at all, and a few may try to correct you. "Squurl" is not considered a correct pronunciation in most other anglophone countries.

Your particular pronciation arises because the "irr" has been reinterpreted as a different vowel (the same vowel in bird, world, earth etc) and the schwa before the final "l" has been elided. These processes often occur in natural languages, and it is also natural that more conservative pronunciations are preserved in other places. This does not mean either pronunciation is incorrect. It just means that different pronunciations are recommended as correct in different countries.

Through these processes and by other means, a few words do have unpredictably different pronunciations in US English and Commonwealth English (the two major strains). Squirrel is one of those words. A few other words with such differences are aluminium/aluminum (this one is also spelt differently), lieutenant, stirrup, thorough, toward. Aluminium/aluminum is a relatively recent neologism, recommended US pronunciation is more conservative in lieutenant and thorough and recommended Commonwealth pronunciation is more conservative in squirrel, stirrup and toward.

Such differences in pronunciation in different countries are simply something that one must live with. After all, a few of your own treasured correct pronunciations may be considered incorrect by others, just as others' correct pronunciations may be considered incorrect by you.
Quote:
BTW, it's pronunciation not pronuniation. :p
Now, now. Surely you can tell a typo when you see one?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #288
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #289
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Now that's a cute one
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #290
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Only for in the US (and maybe Canada). Proper pronuniation elsewhere is SKWI-r*l. (First part sounds like "squid" without the d, and second sounds like "Errol" without the E.) This pronuniation is also used by some speakers in the USA. Both pronunciations are considered correct.
Didn't we already do this on page 12 -which is why SG was reminded of this thread?

But hey, let's do this American TV style and call it "another chance to discusss..."

/Damn now I'm annoyed, I know there's an upbeat euphemism for repeat -often used when showing the last episode in the previous series before they start a new one (or -all too often- the whole bloomin' previous series...), but I can't remember it. Aaargh. I knew I should watch more TV!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #291
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Now that's a cute one
Don't be fooled. What you can't see is that the damn thing's crapping in the open CD drive.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:50 AM   #292
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Now, now. Surely you can tell a typo when you see one?
Once is a typo. Multiples in the same paragraph is misspelling.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:46 AM   #293
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

How do you pronounce barett? You know--those things girls wear in their hair to keep it out of their eyes, etc. Is it Bar-Et or Brett? And, how do you spell it? Barrett? Barett? Barret? Baret? It's been driving me crazy for years.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #294
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Squirrel: I'm in your computer stealing your identity.
Squirrel: I'm in your computer trolling your Cellar.
Squirrel: I'm in your computer hacking your government.

oops, wrong thread.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #295
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Briana: barrette
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #296
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Many thanks, o wise Clodfobble
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #297
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't do it Brianna.....it's french.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #298
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

IGzaktlee!

over and over and over over the cube "walls" :sigh:
Old 03-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #299
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
How do you pronounce barett? You know--those things girls wear in their hair to keep it out of their eyes, etc. Is it Bar-Et or Brett? And, how do you spell it? Barrett? Barett? Barret? Baret? It's been driving me crazy for years.
Hair clip or hair grip, depending on whether it's fancy or not.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #300
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Once is a typo. Multiples in the same paragraph is misspelling.
I hope you're not indulging in spelling flames.

Despite your assertions, they were typos. I make repeatable typos fairly often because I type words using muscle memory and my typing is not the best. Some frequent typos of mine include "because" as "becuase" and "to the" as "tot he". "Pronunciation" is another word where I sometimes make the same typo, in this case omitting a "c". I usually catch my typos before I post but on this occasion these ones escaped into the ether.

I knew the correct pronunciations of "squirrel" because I had recently looked them up in a pronunciation dictionary (Longman's) as a part of a recent discussion on the pronunciation of "squirrel" and "stirrup" on a linguistics forum. These words were of interest because these are the only two words in English (or at least the only two words we could find at the time) where the vowel in "bit" with a following "r" in British English is replaced by the vowel in "earth" in American English. It is more usual for the vowel in "but" with a following "r" in British English to be merged with the vowel in "earth" in American English. (This is why "hurry" and "furry" rhyme for many Americans but not for British speakers.)

For the record, one syllable or two are both acceptable for "squirrel" according to Longman.