The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #286
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
He's gonna tell the real estate company that they should change out the exhaust, because although it works now, it's decrepit and could block easily. I doubt they will do that, so I am getting a CO detector, or maybe several.
Rather than waste your money on a bunch of CO detectors, couldn't you just leave the windows open?? Cross ventilation should remove the carbon monoxide
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #287
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

CO detectors are probably cheaper than trying to heat the outside.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #288
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Rather than waste your money on a bunch of CO detectors, couldn't you just leave the windows open?? Cross ventilation should remove the carbon monoxide
You'd think so, but unfortunately it doesn't. CO concentrations can (i.e. have been shown to) rise to lethal levels in spite of major passive and/or cross-ventilation... much better to use a CO detector and be sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #289
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK last night I discovered two new things about the place

One is the washer hookup does not drain, or does not drain fast enough, which left about a washer's full of wash and rinse water on the basement floor.

Two is the dishwasher was never actually hooked up to water.

I won't mention to the management company that hot and cold is reversed on two out of the three places it is dispensed. I find that part funny. But certainly it was some plumber's amateur hour out here, and damage has been done.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #290
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My dad's washer did that for two decades, though it leaked somewhat less water than that. His solution was that we were always to put a bunch of towels on the floor whenever we did laundry. I recommend you don't go that route, your kids will think you're cheap and lazy.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #291
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hmmm but that makes me think... if I need to, I could drain the washer into a greywater holding tank of some fashion, and then siphon it outside. Or even carry it outside. This is only possible because it's a newfangled high efficiency washer which uses less water. Bosch, you know the Germans make good stuff.

On the dishwasher, I notice that the parts to actually hook it up are sitting under the sink. I also notice that it was never bolted in. Amateur hour.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #292
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Time to freak out on the management company.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #293
glatt

Yeah. Better to complain about a laundry list of items now than a slow drip of problems over time. (See what I did there?) If you wait, then they will think you broke the stuff after living with everything being fine initially.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #294
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't freak out on anybody!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #295
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #296
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh, it's not just the washer drain having a hard time draining... it's the entire house! After blocking off the washer drain, the morning shower overfilled the kitchen sink.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #297
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

What. The. Fuck.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #298
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It would take an amateur a lot longer than an hour to fuck up the plumbing to this degree. I think you're dealing with a serious DIYer.

As a dedicated DIYer, you have my sympathies.

I also agree that you should make a list of these major items and present them earlier rather than later, and press for some kind of inspection/baseline/checklist etc.

Good luck man.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #299
glatt

Does the toilet flush into the kitchen sink too?

Sounds like there might be roots growing into the sewer pipe outside. A good plumber will be able to identify the problem. It may require a visit from roto-rooter.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #300
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post

I also agree that you should make a list of these major items and present them earlier rather than later, and press for some kind of inspection/baseline/checklist etc.

Good luck man.
Speaking as someone who has never owned a house in her life, and for whom renting is the norm: totally do this. It is an absolute must do. The fact that the management company hasn't already done this with you is quite poor practice, but some are hotter on that stuff than others. If you don't then it is your word against theirs should any of this stuff prove awkward.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote