The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: Should gay marriages be legal?
Yes 42 77.78%
No 9 16.67%
I can't decide. 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2003, 10:42 AM   #301
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Whit
      I'm going to have to disagree with doing anything really nasty, Rho.
Never fear. I would only give them a serious verbal tonguelashing.

Quote:
I think that like, well, all bigotry, this is based on ignorance. Shredding the idiots doesn't solve the problem. Frankly, the school needs to be educated. Educating without the use of physical harm is preferable as it tends to stick in the mind better.
Depend on who you are "educating", IMO. It'll only stick if the person has somewhat of an open mind. If their mind is fixed on one concept and is not open to other ideas, then the education, I think, would be wasted.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:54 PM   #302
warch
lurkin old school

I love the ACLU!

Quote:
Good question, I believe that it is officially the school boards job. It's also the school boards job to make sure they themselve are educated enough to respond properly.
Elected officials reflecting the family value of hate.
I'm going to hope and guess, that even in this Louisiana parish there are teachers that could/would counter the board/community but dont want to lose their jobs. Lots of schools battling this out.

Here's some stuff for teachers
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #303
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Many in the Right are calling marriage a "union between a man and a woman". I think it should be a "union between two adults". I support gay marriages and think they should be legal.

What do you think?
first men and men...then women and women...then farmers and sheep.....poor people and dogs...white people and cows...black people and cows... (notice non racial cow reference)............

puh-Leeze.

freaky. sorry if it wasn't written the way you like it. get over it.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:49 PM   #304
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

I never had a dog. I always wanted one, but I either lived in the city or didn't have time for one.

I had a friend who had a dog. His dog always loved him, never complained, it was always happy when he came home. He admited to screwing the dog and said that it felt quite good.

At times I wonder if being married to a dog would be such a bad thing...
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:11 PM   #305
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by FileNotFound
I never had a dog. I always wanted one, but I either lived in the city or didn't have time for one.

I had a friend who had a dog. His dog always loved him, never complained, it was always happy when he came home. He admited to screwing the dog and said that it felt quite good.

At times I wonder if being married to a dog would be such a bad thing...
the worst part would probably be the fleas.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 PM   #306
FileNotFound

Quote:
Originally posted by darclauz

the worst part would probably be the fleas.

Nah I got cats and fleas are not a problem. Those little things you drop on their neck once every few months work great. No fleas or ticks...funny smell for a day but nothing bad.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:41 PM   #307
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Quote:
From LadySyc:
If their mind is fixed on one concept and is not open to other ideas, then the education, I think, would be wasted.
      I concede the point openly. Still, you don't know untill you try. Which I mean to say, I hope someone there will stand up and try.
Quote:
From FNF:
I never had a dog. I always wanted one,
      I guess this means you don't drink? Oh wait... You meant the actual animal... My bad.

Fleas... Hmm... I wonder who would win a war between fleas and crabs... Ack... I need to go find another thread now...
Old 12-02-2003, 03:43 PM   #308
juju
no one of consequence

Re: Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally posted by darclauz
first men and men...then women and women...then farmers and sheep.....poor people and dogs...white people and cows...black people and cows... (notice non racial cow reference)............

puh-Leeze.

freaky. sorry if it wasn't written the way you like it. get over it.
Well, the difference is that non-human animals can't consent to sex or marriage. A man <i>can</i> consent to sex with another man.

I suppose the question really is: Do you believe there are enough bad consequences to gay marriage that their consent should be overruled?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #309
darclauz

Re: Re: Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Well, the difference is that non-human animals can't consent to sex or marriage. A man <i>can</i> consent to sex with another man.

I suppose the question really is: Do you believe there are enough bad consequences to gay marriage that their consent should be overruled?
yeah. i do.

okay...before anyone BLASTS me for stereotyping, i'm only writing from what i know. of my MANY gay friends, i have only met one couple who was interested in being a couple -- that is, only the two of them. they have been together 30 years, and are as married as any hetero couple i know.

that being said, every other gay man-man couple i've known were interested in short term. inevitably, one or both were sleeping with other people. that's NOT the case in most hetero couples i've met, although, again, some....

okay. so marriage is all about benefits. and it seems to me, that in any infidelity issue, you run all kinds of risks....lawyers for divorces. suits tying up courtrooms. medical benefit expenses...from stds or related issues.

so in the cases *I've* seen......... i would think that these particular gay men would treat marriage lightly..and cause legal hassles.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:58 PM   #310
FileNotFound

darclauz. Your argument is selfdefeating:

Quote:
every other gay man-man couple i've known were interested in short term

So why would they ever marry?

Benifits? BS.

There are plenty of heterosexual people out there who screw a new girl/guy every week if not day with no intention for a long term relationship. They don't get married for a month then break it off.

Neither would the homosexuals. Getting married is as much a hassle as getting divorced, if not more so.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:01 PM   #311
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Dar, um... not to be a jerk, but how is that different than hetero marriges. Those are failing in droves for years... Point is, don't they have the same rights to make idiotic mistakes as the rest of us?
Old 12-02-2003, 04:16 PM   #312
warch
lurkin old school

Ok then with that iron logic, lesbian unions should be the most sought after and righteous. The MANY dykes I know are real homebodies and supportive nurturers. They also dont have all those pesky and self-inflicted medical expenses, you know "...stds or related issues".
Old 12-02-2003, 04:20 PM   #313
darclauz

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Ok then with that iron logic, lesbian unions should be the most sought after and righteous. The MANY dykes I know are real homebodies and supportive nurturers. They also dont have all those pesky and self-inflicted medical expenses, you know "...stds or related issues".

i don't know ANY lesbian couples, but i'm SURE they're different from the gay men i have known.

this wasn't an iron logic issue.... just my opinion. as such, i don't have any well-researched or documented facts to back me up.
read it, discard it. it's only an opinion.............
Old 12-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #314
warch
lurkin old school

And well reasoned too!
Old 12-02-2003, 04:27 PM   #315
warch
lurkin old school

And what your opinion demonstrates is that you consider the homosexual men you know, like cattle, not worthy of basic human rights.