The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #316
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's about an 8" step to my front door and the storm door couldn't swing out this morning because the sleet was too deep. Fortunately not all over.
The door is at the intersection of two roofs, evidently the sleet rolled off both of them, rather than getting deeper, after some point.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #317
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Big Philippine adventure coming up in a few months.

I've been shipping stuff over there in advance to the point that everyone at the post office knows me and where my big packages are going.

The plan is to have so many interesting things avaible to do or to go see that boredom wont set in after a few months of just drinking cheap booze and singing Margaritaville on kerioke.

We have rented an apartment in Makati since we cannot agree on what lot we want and how much we should pay. I don't really care about the costs of the lots as most seem like a good deal. However, with the low cost of renting vs owning, it does indeed make more sense to rent at least for a while.

The apartments are small and all concrete but there are so many American "enhancements" that it will surely be comfortable if not roomy.

The electric was just connected over the weekend. There are boxes of stuff all over inside just waiting to be installed/unboxed and set up.

Has anyone used the Rosetta stone program to their satisfaction? The online version impressed me but I didnt have time to complete all the lessons. I'm hoping with the RS plus the emersion in Tagalog speaking peoples that I'll be functional with it several months into the big adventure.

It's just 2 months away now and I'm allowing myself to get excited. It's still too far away though so I should just relax.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 AM   #318
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I'm flying out Aug 23.

Everything is set up there. Now the biggest pain the the ass is getting these two last packages on the plane and keeping track of them with all the stops that are scheduled before hitting Manila.

The only thing killing my excitment is going through all this last minute crap and knowing that I'll be jetting across the US before actually going to the Philippines.

It's been very hot there and humid. Just about like the weather here in Cocoa.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #319
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Rock on Slang !!!!
Drink a San Mgoo for me !!!
Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 AM   #320
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Thanks Zip, I'll surely do that.

This trip is going to be a bit more involved though. It's not going to be a booze fest or even a photo fest.

This trip ,with the tools and books that are now there for me, will be a long term field trip.

There are so many things that I don't understand about the history and the workings there. This will be a great opportunity to study the whole society right there on the spot.

My wife will be there and we'll have some sustained quality time together, I'll have the chance to learn Tagalog and the other languages of the Phils, I will not be directly or indirectly responsible for engineering / design projects and I will be totally removed from the American environment for months on end. I'll have the time and money to do those things that I like to do, which is rare here in the US.

The trip over there is going to be a pain in the ass but once I'm there everything's going to be great.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #321
Griff
still says videotape

Sounds like a cool adventure man. Enjoy yourself!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #322
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I'm off across the country now. There are some aging family members that I'd like to visit before leaving for the Philippines.

Here for a day, over there for another few.

See you when I get settled in.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #323
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

yes, you will
[/mr burns]
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 AM   #324
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Slang will be arriving here just as Typhoon Sepat leaves the country for China. I hope his plane does not encounter another typhoon on the way. I know he will hate to be detoured till the storm passes.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 AM   #325
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hi Luisa, my condolences on the invasion.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #326
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
I'm flying out Aug 23.

Everything is set up there. Now the biggest pain the the ass is getting these two last packages on the plane and keeping track of them with all the stops that are scheduled before hitting Manila.

The only thing killing my excitment is going through all this last minute crap and knowing that I'll be jetting across the US before actually going to the Philippines.

It's been very hot there and humid. Just about like the weather here in Cocoa.
I was living there about 20 years ago. They used to nail a person to the cross in Manila every year for Easter and parade him through town. I wonder if they still do that. It's best to keep your money on the inside of your clothes with safety pins when going through the city. (any major city) It is hot and humid there year-round.....please get used to that, and very large roaches. Oh- and don't worry if you get lice....everyone does at least once. Just take care of it...no biggy.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #327
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
I was living there about 20 years ago. They used to nail a person to the cross in Manila every year for Easter and parade him through town. I wonder if they still do that.
Yep. They still do. It is an event that was even covered by Ripley's Believe It or Not at one point and is shown all over the world each year over CNN.

Quote:
It's best to keep your money on the inside of your clothes with safety pins when going through the city. (any major city)
Or you can choose to do it the modern way and buy yourself a traveler's safety pouch at the local mall. You wear that inside your shirt and it holds your passport, credit cards, and cash very securely.

Quote:
It is hot and humid there year-round.....please get used to that, and very large roaches. Oh- and don't worry if you get lice....everyone does at least once. Just take care of it...no biggy.
Not so hot and humid right now since it the start of the monsoon season. As for the lice, as long as you don't wallow in the squatter areas and borrow combs and brushes from people (Why anbody would do that is beyond me), you can avoid the lice.

I still live in Manila and can bring you up to speed if you want any updates about what you remember from 20 years ago
Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #328
Luisa
I'm a mental nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Hi Luisa, my condolences on the invasion.
No condolences necessary. My worry is if Slang will survive a year here without tearing his hair out because of the marked cultural differences. Specially when it comes to doing business and government service. The latter being non existent in this country
Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #329
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

My middle name is cultural differences.

The AC is installed and tested. It's a 2 hp Carrier (18000 btu). That should take care of the heat in the house anyway.

This is not my first trip there, this is the longest.

With all those things that I've sent there in advance I hope not to be bored too often.

I normally stay out of the tourist places and don't have troubles with the locals stealing from me as most consider me (at least in part ) as one of them.

On my way to the second leg of the trip today.

Ingat.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #330
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
My middle name is cultural differences.

The AC is installed and tested. It's a 2 hp Carrier (18000 btu). That should take care of the heat in the house anyway.

This is not my first trip there, this is the longest.

With all those things that I've sent there in advance I hope not to be bored too often.

I normally stay out of the tourist places and don't have troubles with the locals stealing from me as most consider me (at least in part ) as one of them.

On my way to the second leg of the trip today.

Ingat.
Ahhh. I see.....I wish I could go to "The Orchid Farm" again. Touristy- yes. Awesome? Yes.................Good luck on your travels!