The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #3871
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

So I got knocked out of a mosh pit Tuesday night - landed on my tailbone and both elbows, hard enough to splt my right elbow enough to require four stitches. Hit my head, knocked out cold. The residual aches and pains are not going away and I am really tired of it after only two days. Have my daughter this weekend - know she'll want to play, but I will want to be sedentary. She's awesome enough she'll understand, but I hate feeling like I can't play with her. Perhaps I'll invite a playmate over for her...Thank you for letting me vent. That is all.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #3872
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have a cold
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #3873
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Your Highness, what was the band? Sounds like an awesome concert.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #3874
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
Hey V,

Any chance we'll see a picture of you anytime soon with a smile on your mug? Or at least a little less like you're doing your Charles Bronson impression.
You cut me dar.

That's just my regular face, the one I inflict on everybody I meet. You're not the first person to make this complaint. I'm just glad all I have to do is wear it, not look at it.

Please accept my sympathies.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #3875
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Ouch V. Sorry to hear that. Why didn't you guys call the cops and get her a ticket? She did hit you from behind.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #3876
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My MIL takes the stepkids for a week each summer (something that was initially put in place as part of an agreement that she has completely failed to adhere to since then, but I digress,) and ever since Minifob was born she's been pushing to have him for that week as well. We have always told her no, both because Minifob still has massive separation anxiety and would be miserable the entire time, but also because she just does not comprehend the reality of what it's like to care for him day-to-day, and can't wrap her head around the fact that it's not as simple as, "Oh, we'll just take him to fun activity X today, I'm sure he'll enjoy it!"

So, again this year she pushed to have him come stay with her, and again we told her no. But Mr. Clod, trying to phrase it delicately, told her that "Next year would be the soonest we could even possibly consider it." And now she's marching around talking about how she has to "get ready for next year." Mr. Clod has tried to reiterate our position more clearly, but her response to that has been to insist that what she will do is come stay with us for a week so that she can really get a feel for everything he needs--you know, because she'll need to know it for next summer! If we let her come stay, that will be a tacit acknowledgement that she gets to take him next summer, but if we tell her no we seem to be telling her she can't even come visit us. There's no way this will go away quietly on its own.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #3877
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yikes, Clod. Not a pleasant situation at all. I'm afraid I have no useful advice to offer...*hugs* sorry, best I can do.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #3878
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Clod, what about phrasing in the fact that your family is still getting used to a new diet among many other things, and that what Minifob really needs right now is stability and routine? Is Grandma really prepared to go completely GFCF for a week?
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #3879
monster
I hear them call the tide

Fob, by next summer he will have been to school for a year. maybe he'll be fine. sounds to me like she's willing to give it her all to be a good grandma to minifob. Sure, he's not your average kid, but even your average kid has separation anxieties the first night or two they spend away from mom and dad. Are you really doing him a favor by waiting until he's older for him to learn to deal with these feelings? i think it's great for her and minifob that she wants to come and stay and learn how to help him. I know, hard for you, but you knew this wasn't going to be a bed of roses. right? and maybe, just maybe it will be just fine. maybe she'll come to stay and get the hang of dealing with him, maybe he'll come to love and trust her, maybe she can even stay in for one night while you and Mr Fob get a well deserved night alone together.....

how far away does she live? can you maybe compromise with next year, but only two nights to start and we'll stay nearby so if he's trully inconsolable unmaneagable, we'll come and get him after one?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #3880
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Got 4th place today at horseshoe tourney. Loser. This time.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #3881
DanaC

I must be missing something. What is it that makes minifob not an average kid? I apologise if this is something well-covered that's passed me by.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #3882
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

See here Dana, Minifob thread

Fobble - Im hearing ya. I too think its great that the MIL wants to have Minifob for a week, but I think a week is a looooong time, plus if I read it correctly, she will have the other kids as well? The overnight idea seems like a good start at least, then MIL will feel like she is getting a *chance* and you guys get a nite out.

My Mum is well and truely frazzled having the boys for a day and just over night, yes they are a handful, but they are just typical boys.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #3883
DanaC

Thanks Ducks. I just assumed that was just a 'stuff my kid does' thread. I tend to skim over stuff like that, depending on my mood. I hadn't realised what the title meant.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #3884
Pie
Gone and done

I find the Minifob thread amazing, mostly because it started as a 'stuff my kid does' and evolved into such a wonderful view into the world of a parent of an autistic child. How it really unfolds in real life -- not what you see on TV. And what an inspiration Clod is!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #3885
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I feel like animals are running my life.

I've two kitties and a (new-ish) doggie.
There have been some hard feelings on both sides.

Last night, my sweet Carly threw up on my bedthrow. In the wash it went.

this morning, some poop magically appeared on my JUST CHANGED bedsheets. A little dog looked mighty guilty.

all I do is wrestle them apart and clean up after their puke and poopings. it's like having toddlers ALLLLLLL over again.

sigh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss