The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #376
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Warmer than average for the date - head for high ground!
What you offer to trade for a place of safety is your own business.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #377
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
So what next? Take action? Do nothing?
Which is what a political agenda says. We cannot do anything so we should give up. What defines a patriotic American? He innovates. Solutions to global warming mean more wealth, more jobs, better products, less waste, healthier people - all things that 'worshipers of the status quo' fear when it requires science, the unexpected, and change. Change - what the most conservative extremists fear.

You buy and burn ten gallons of gasoline. How many gallons do any productive work? Something more than only 1 gallon. How do we solve global warming? Burn all the anti-innovators at the stake?

Simply create cars that use three out of every ten gallons productively. But that goes against a political agenda that says, "Drill, Drill, Drill". Or says, "Consume and waste more to create more jobs."

The steam engine was replaced by the diesel electric locomotive in the 1930s. What is that diesel electric engine called? A hybrid. Why did it take 70 years (and $100 million dollars from Clinton) to finally get the anti-innovative (anti-Americans) to design one? The 'we fear to innovate' enemies of America also must fear global warming. Its solutions require innovation. Solutions that contradict their political agenda of 'maintaining the status quo'.

How many inches of insulation in your attic? Just inspected another home. Two inches. Many spots (including the heat ducts) had zero inches. Why? Because energy is so inexpensive. Because change or innovation is just too hard.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #378
SamIam

It would be great if people started to take matters into their own hands: installed solar panels, bought hybrids, etc. Many of these energy conserving steps also conserve money in either the short or long run. I don't know where you live, TW, but out here nears the 4-Corners power plant, energy costs are pretty high. I guess all that electricity goes to LA with none left over for us locals. Meanwhile, I'm keeping my thermostat at 60 degrees and filling in the chinks around my windows.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #379
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

SamIam, don't fill in your chinks with rice, they'll be leaking again an hour later.

Yeah, yeah, I'm bad. Don't even bother.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #380
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Presented without bias

http://people-press.org/report/556/global-warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew Research
There has been a sharp decline over the past year in the percentage of Americans who say there is solid evidence that global temperatures are rising. And fewer also see global warming as a very serious problem – 35% say that today, down from 44% in April 2008.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #381
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Science by counting noses?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #382
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
SamIam, don't fill in your chinks with rice, they'll be leaking again an hour later.

Yeah, yeah, I'm bad. Don't even bother.
Well, thank you, I won't.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 AM   #383
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Presented without bias, here's what it looks like in some parts of China. Now that is unsustainable.

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/...tion-in-china/
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #384
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sure helps with the population problem.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #385
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I can't stop thinking about it. I went into Google Maps satellite view and looked at the Yangtze River at the location where one of the pictures is. When the resolution of the satellite imagery is good, you can see what's going on. It's anything goes.

You zoom in and massive sections here are bathed in smoke. The left part of this link is low resolution; it's only the high resolution bits that show what's going on.

To give you an idea of scale, here's the center of London at the same zoom.

You zoom in more and it becomes an industrial horror scene. Huge industrial canals help get the pollution to the main river. There are piles of different-colored resources being managed by huge cranes that run on rails.

There is no part of the river not coated in shipping barges, and you realize... aw crap, this is where all our shit is being made.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #386
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'd guess there are some pics just like them somewhere from the U.S.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #387
glatt

Quote:
and you realize... aw crap, this is where all our shit is being made.

If you go up to my son's Schwinn bike that we bought him two years ago and sniff the tires, they still smell like China. The offgassing from the cheap rubber has gotten better in those two years. It doesn't fill the entire basement any more, but you can still smell it if you get close enough.

The latest is drywall. Make sure you don't buy drywall made in China. They are putting the waste into the drywall and selling it to us.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #388
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The latest is drywall. Make sure you don't buy drywall made in China. They are putting the waste into the drywall and selling it to us.
Because they discovered a market where business school graduates buy and resell only based upon price. Could not bother to learn what was in that drywall. Did not care about the product or the customer. Did exactly what business schools teach: the purpose of a company is profits.

Same problem exists in so many products. For example, the computer assembler is responsible for meeting American standards. Asian exporters discovered that many (if not a majority) of American computer assemblers and A+ Certified Computer techs do not even know how electricity works. So they dump power supplies into the market sometimes missing functions even required before 1970. The computer boots; so the technically naive computer assmebler declares it OK.

Then when a computer has problems, a naive consumer is told to spend $100 for a UPS to fix that $20 discount - missing functions inside that supply.

Political extremists, business school perverts, unscrupulous exporters - in every case they get away with it because so many Americans just blindly believe what they are told to believe - fail to learn or remember even science taught in school.

Some retailers are more responsible. However the food industry has quietly conceded they cannot guarantee the quality of their products. Food industry had no program to learn what is put inside their products. One major offender was Beechnut who even knew they were selling tainted baby food - and continued to do so because it increased profit margins.

You have stack of drywall in the warehouse awaiting shipment. How could you not know how bad it smelled? They knew enough to at least ask some simply and damning questions. Instead, they did exactly what is taught in business schools.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #389
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
There is no part of the river not coated in shipping barges, and you realize... aw crap, this is where all our shit is being made.
There's been tons of pictures on the net, and shows on TV, showing the pollution and it's effects on the people. Thank walmart.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 AM   #390
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
There's been tons of pictures on the net, and shows on TV, showing the pollution and it's effects on the people. Thank walmart.
No, thank every politician since the 60's who voted to do business with a totalitarian government that only wants to spread their philosophy worldwide.