The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #391
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
As already stated, if a man wants to "abort" his responsibilities to an unwanted situation he should be allowed to... no no problem.
It's all the mother's choice now, she is in COMPLETE control and that is the way it is supposed to be, right?
The man is just the sperm donor.
BTW, I am making a point... I don't agree with this at all, once two people make a baby it is their job to care for it.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #392
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Why are these women carrying kids to term that they can't pay for who have been fathered by deadbeats? 3/4 of the entire point of legal abortion is avoiding this shit.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #393
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Because they can't afford to pay for abortions, maybe?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #394
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Or they have moral objections to abortion...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #395
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

The other side to this, 9th, is that believing in the right for a woman to choose abortion, you must also believe in the right of the woman to choose to carry that child to term, no matter if anyone thinks it's irresponsible for any reason, no matter if she conjugated with a low-life, no matter any social issues anyone other than that woman has.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #396
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yes, but she should also be prepared to take the responsibility for her decision, which may include the lack of the father.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #397
Shawnee123

Absolutely...but I'm saying that it isn't for Joe Schmo on the street to say she should have aborted. Believing in choice is believing in choice. You can't have it both ways.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #398
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well said.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #399
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Absolutely...but I'm saying that it isn't for Joe Schmo on the street to say she should have aborted. Believing in choice is believing in choice. You can't have it both ways.
Yes I can't. I mean no I can.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #400
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I have to say that the Child Support Agency is good for my children. Their father is very bad at stepping up to his responsibility. Every year when they do the assessment to see what he should pay, he quits his job then tells them that he can't pay because he doesn't have a job. They then say he only has to pay the minimum which is about $27/month. The unfortunate thing for him is that they're now going back to all the old records and have caluculated a huge debt for him.

Personally, I don't care if he pays or not, other than the fact that on the one hand he claims to love his kids, but on the other, he's quite happy to let someone else pay all their every day expenses.

I didn't think he was a deadbeat when I met him. I didn't think he was a deadbeat when we fell pregnant. In fact, it wasn't till I was 7 months pregnant and I found out he'd been having an affair with someone else and then quit his job that I had the first realization. We tried to work it out. Had our second son, but I found out that he was still up to his same tricks and they just got worse.

Sometimes you just don't know what people are going to do, no matter how well you think you know them. Knowing what I know now, I would never have allowed myself to fall pregnant to him, but it's amazing how hindsight gives you 20 20 vision.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #401
Pie
Gone and done

Another issue is that male or female, the people with the worst impulse control and planning skills are the ones who "forget" the birth control or use less reliable methods.
These are also likely to be the people who are least capable of adequately caring for the new entity they've created. Thus, the cycle continues
Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #402
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Quote:
The other side to this, 9th, is that believing in the right for a woman to choose abortion, you must also believe in the right of the woman to choose to carry that child to term, no matter if anyone thinks it's irresponsible for any reason, no matter if she conjugated with a low-life, no matter any social issues anyone other than that woman has.
It's not the act of choosing that's important, here or really in anything else. It's the opportunity to take the actions necessary to secure the best possible outcome. Abortion is simply a convenience, not something sacred. Also, the language about having to affirm a womans choice by telling her she's doing the right thing no matter what is bullshit. For that choice I expect her to know her own abilities and situation and act accordingly. There's no checklist for this, some women may be able to care for a child in circumstances where others crumble, but she has 9 months to figure that out. Situations that change after birth are one thing, but if she has the baby knowing full well that she can't care for it properly then she's the one who's mocking her right to choose.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #403
Shawnee123

I disagree. A choice is just that, a choice. Too many people think that pro-choice means you can choose to abort. Not believing that it also includes the right to choose to carry to term is short-sighted, and negates the whole right to choose.

Quote:
For that choice I expect her to know her own abilities and situation and act accordingly.
Ahh, if everyone knew themselves so well, if these choices were easy. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #404
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
Often...abusive, manipulative, lying, no-good asses can be quite charming and personable when they want to. And they usually want to when trying to con someone into bed and/or marriage. I've known people to carry the facade for several years, if that's what it takes.

I strenously object to the generalization that any woman who gets pregnant unexpectedly is a slut, a party animal, or knew right up front that the person she was with was (or could be) an asshole.

I've also found that some of the seemingly nicest people can turn into completely amoral, vindictive, and cruel individuals, given the right trigger. You just never know until you're on the opposing side in a battle.
Absolutely.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #405
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer View Post
Why are these women carrying kids to term that they can't pay for who have been fathered by deadbeats? 3/4 of the entire point of legal abortion is avoiding this shit.
The other thing is that we have complete cultures of women now believing that having the baby is more important than having the father, or any father of any of their 4 kids from different fathers, not being involved and that has completely acceptable.