The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #421
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Well that wasn't really an answer rkz. I already know what a lot of people seem to think.
I answered it earlier, our rights are not up for a vote, I did answer it in the post, law abiding citizens rights are not subject to removal due to the actions of criminals (true also for illegal immigration).
If you want to give up your right to own a firearm, don't buy one.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #422
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I know one thing they can do.
In order to buy a gun you have to pass an instant background check. It is a violation of federal law to attempt to buy a gun if know you are ineligible to own one. Over the years hundreds of thousands of people have been prevented from buying a gun by this system. Guess how many have been prosecuted for violation of this federal law? ZERO.

Well that sounds like an excellent proposition. I wonder why people don't do something about it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #423
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I answered it earlier, our rights are not up for a vote, I did answer it in the post, law abiding citizens rights are not subject to removal due to the actions of criminals (true also for illegal immigration).
If you want to give up your right to own a firearm, don't buy one.

rkz, my post wasn't anything about rights. I even conceeded that everyone has the right to own a gun, for the sake of sensible discussion.

I asked for a solution to the problem of illegal gun crimes.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:53 PM   #424
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Any type of gun, or any type of weapon? Nukes? Bioweapons?
What part of "any" do you have a hard time comprehending? I have the right to own any weapon as long as I'm not physically harming or endangering others with it. Merely owning a weapon doesn't endanger anyone. If I own nukes, I should be able to prove that they are not leaking radiation onto my neighbors. I should be able to prove that I have any bioweapons stored in such a way that there is no way for the germs to escape and endanger my neighbors.

I should be able to own a tank, a fighter jet, or even a nuclear sub complete with nuclear warheads if I can afford it and don't use them to threaten or endanger others.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #425
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Fuck yourself, hypocrite.
Oh Spexxvet, I apologize.
I had no idea you would not attempt to defend yourself, and your family, by any means possible. My bad.

Shame about your family, but that's you're right to let the guy with the baseball bat kill them one at a time by smashing their heads to pulp, while you maintain your moral high ground.
Yes sir, you'll show him. Good for you.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #426
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The fact of the matter is gun control laws cost human lives and do nothing to prevent crime. Gun control laws have never been about guns. They've been about control...controlling the population and keeping them from being able to mount an effective defense from government tyranny.

Gun control laws worked very well for the Nazi party. They knew exactly which houses to go to in order to disarm people so they would be more easily victimized.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 PM   #427
rkzenrage

Quote:
rkz, my post wasn't anything about rights. I even conceeded that everyone has the right to own a gun, for the sake of sensible discussion.

I asked for a solution to the problem of illegal gun crimes.
First, I really hope you are not trying to separate the right to own a gun from actually owning one.

Second, I am not a cop, but I do believe decriminalizing drugs will reduce gun crime by at least half, if not two-thirds.
Controlling our borders sensibly will reduce illegal guns entering our country by another significant amount.
The law enforcement freed-up by decriminalizing drugs can then be put to good use actually fighting REAL crime. Government corruption along with those trying to purchase and move guns illegally perhaps?
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #428
Aliantha

Well if you decriminalize drugs you've just got a whole different argument to sort out haven't you?

I'm not trying to separate anyones rights from anything. I just asked a question.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #429
rkzenrage

Quote:
Well if you decriminalize drugs you've just got a whole different argument to sort out haven't you?
I don't think so.
Then again, I don't believe in a totalitarian/nanny government.

Quote:
I'm not trying to separate anyones rights from anything. I just asked a question.
It was a leading question.
It implied that those of us legally owning weapons were, somehow, at fault for those illegally in possession of one.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #430
Aliantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
It was a leading question.
It implied that those of us legally owning weapons were, somehow, at fault for those illegally in possession of one.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
Nope, not a leading question. Just a plain old ordinary every day question. If you were going to give it any title I'd say it'd be hypothetical because any solution anyone suggests is certainly not likely to be enacted any time in the immediate future.

Please don't turn this into another slanging match.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #431
rkzenrage

No sweat, if that is not what you meant and you feel that legal gun owners have no connection to illegal gun activity and you had no intention of implying that, please say so.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #432
Aliantha

That was the first line of the post that began this discussion rkz. Have another look if you don't believe me.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #433
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh Spexxvet, I apologize.
I had no idea you would not attempt to defend yourself, and your family, by any means possible. My bad.

Shame about your family, but that's you're right to let the guy with the baseball bat kill them one at a time by smashing their heads to pulp, while you maintain your moral high ground.
Yes sir, you'll show him. Good for you.
I accept your apology. Now go shoot somebody, as you intended.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #434
rkzenrage

You can't limit the possible futures of what some may do with legally obtained weapons and should not limit the rights of legal gun owners based on how illegal owners behave. That is all.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #435
Aliantha

I have not suggested that anyone should. Get together with Radar and buy some WMD's if you want.

I asked what to do about the illegal aspects. That is all.