The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #421
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Every major population area has a level of organized crime but I'm still safer here than over there.
Where exactly is over there? Southeast DC or Boise Idaho? That made no sense. There are plenty of areas within Hong Kong where you wouldn't last five minutes.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #422
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

Quote:
Every major population area has a level of organized crime but I'm still safer here than over there.
no ur not

ur prolly just loaded and have never seen real crime other than on tv in america. chiense tv wont televise its crime lollllllll its a commmi country
Old 04-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #423
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Where exactly is over there? Southeast DC or Boise Idaho? That made no sense. There are plenty of areas within Hong Kong where you wouldn't last five minutes.
Which areas are those? I've been all over hong kong and never came across one neighborhood where I feared for my life.

And over there was in reference to hoston texas.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #424
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeboduuza View Post
no ur not

ur prolly just loaded and have never seen real crime other than on tv in america. chiense tv wont televise its crime lollllllll its a commmi country
Gee you remind me so much of mr. chronic over there.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #425
freshnesschronic
Professor

Like Jeboduuza said, you obviously haven't seen crime because you must be rich and sheltered. Your bubble won't last forever ducky.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #426
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Quote:
I'm still safer here than over there.
Aren't you still in the US living with an Uncle until your Mom takes you home to Hong Kong?

If that's the case - I'm confused how you can say we're so evil and crime riddled, but feel safer HERE than there.

Explain please.

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #427
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

why. because i dont agree with you? im not the only one
Old 04-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #428
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagney View Post
Aren't you still in the US living with an Uncle until your Mom takes you home to Hong Kong?

If that's the case - I'm confused how you can say we're so evil and crime riddled, but feel safer HERE than there.

Explain please.
No we moved back to hong kong and are living with my aunt and uncle until my mom finds a place.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #429
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Reality is that the United Stated is THE most violent nation among the western democracies. That violence is significantly less even in Mexico and Canada. In the same time that the United Stated massacred school children about 44 times, then entire rest of the world combined only saw that happen about 10 times. So common that Americans attitude to what happened in Virginia: yawn.

America is now so violent that a killer can fire every 3 second consecutively for nine minutes at students. That is now considered acceptable in America because attitudes to so much violence: yawn. Instead, Americans here would instead attack the messenger.

United States is clearly the most violent western nation. That is not even disputable where people live in reality. Furthermore it is predictable from history. As numbers of guns increase, then so does violent death. That fact has been well established throughout the world for at least 200 years.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #430
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Reality is that the United Stated is THE most violent nation among the western democracies. That violence is significantly less even in Mexico and Canada. In the same time that the United Stated massacred school children about 44 times, then entire rest of the world combined only saw that happen about 10 times. So common that Americans attitude to what happened in Virginia: yawn.

America is now so violent that a killer can fire every 3 second consecutively for nine minutes at students. That is now considered acceptable in America because attitudes to so much violence: yawn. Instead, Americans here would instead attack the messenger.

United States is clearly the most violent western nation. That is not even disputable where people live in reality. Furthermore it is predictable from history. As numbers of guns increase, then so does violent death. That fact has been well established throughout the world for at least 200 years.
That is pretty much what I have been saying the whole time but not as articulately. Yet I get accused of trying to prove I'm queen of the world, called a naive 16 year old, america basher etc. I even had a bashing thread started about me. lol
One thing that does surprise me about your post is you say the violence is less in mexico. The school I was going to in houston had many latinos that were from mexico and they seemed to think the violent crime was much worse there.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #431
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's only natural that duck_duck feels that the place she lives in is the best place to live. Same with anyone else.

The only difference is that the supposedly more mature people in this forum are arguing with a 16 yr old as if they are 16 yr olds also. Granted the main opponent in the argument is a mere 3 yrs older with probably not much more life experience, and possibly less.

Yes there's crime everywhere. Yes there's different levels of crime from place to place within a country. Yes there are places that we as residents of our country/city know we wouldn't go after dark.

I can see dd's point here and the point she's trying to make and coming from a country with similar gun laws, I know what she's trying to say.

Let me say this to you dd. You wont win this argument. No matter what 'facts' you provide as evidence. Better to save your energy and just be glad you live where you do.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:04 PM   #432
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
No we moved back to hong kong and are living with my aunt and uncle until my mom finds a place.
But you are still in California.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #433
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But you are still in California.
says the two IPs I have to go through to access this site.

My uncle put tor on my computer and because of that I get a "your IP has been banned by the administrator" message so I have to log in through an online server just to get here.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 AM   #434
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:

Correction.. I'm scared to death of the average Joe's ability to get a gun and use it.
And never never ever did Duck_duck consider that an average Jane like Duck_duck might get a gun and become skilled with it. At sixteen, she'd still have to wait a while, but still, there it is. Rapists (and I very much doubt the one-in-five-women figure she cited earlier -- sounds like an Andrea Dworkin shibboleth not well borne out by the stats) tend to lose their enthusiasm when somebody lines up a .38 on their naughty bits.

And the ones who can rape a .38 -- maybe they deserve to. But they should really buy their own guns. Spoogeing down the bore of somebody else's fighting tool is not behavior Miss Manners would approve of.

Quote:
But you complex guys who pretend to know what you are talking about don't really say anything do you? Your time is spent pointing out how simple or stupid somebody like me is.
Actually, we disagree with you because we have studied the matter, and we are persuaded of the veracity of the researchers we've studied. In a word, we know more about it than you do.

Opening up the path to crime, on a retail scale or a wholesale, by eliminating self-defense is stupid, on its face. The pretense that armament benefits only criminals is given the lie by not only the carrying of guns by government arms such as the police and sheriffs' departments, but also by the universal experience of every state in the Union that went more liberal on its concealed carry of weapons: in every single such State, crime went down and stayed down. The States that have not done so have crime levels that remain higher than the states that actively enable self defense even unto arming oneself and fighting crime by shooting back. You could look it up -- the NRA got it right, and lives are being saved en masse.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #435
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
As numbers of guns increase, then so does violent death. That fact has been well established throughout the world for at least 200 years.
Swiss homes are full of assault rifles, each with a box of 200 rounds of ready ammunition, tw.

Show me the Swiss murder rate. Show me the Swiss rate of murder by firearm. Show me miscellaneous Swiss massacres by selective-fire assault rifle.

Closer to home, try Nevada, Idaho, the Dakotas: all these places have a total murder rate that looks like... England's. Let three examples stand for a couple dozen.

You aren't much of a researcher.