The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #31
KronKyrios
Recruit or Something

Thumbs up

Good question about scanning x-rays, jinx... I have never tried it, but i imagine someone at a copy center would know what to do... let me know if you find a good method, and I will try it for my x-rays... if i ever find 'em again.

There is one other nuisance I can think of, off-hand. The nails on the insides of the thumb rub together during daily chores, and will end up splitting tone nail or the other, usually right at the quick, sometimes below it.

In the long term, if I develop arthritis, I am sure that is going to be a problem spot. I remember when I was a kid, and I first started popping my knuckles, it hurt like hell to pop my thumb(s).

To go back to an earlier thread of this topic, I did not have my extra thumb cut off at birth because they did not know which thumb would be dominant. They decided to let it grow and see. When they finally decided that they could cut off either, and it would be the same, I was able to put my own two cents in... I specifically remember crying my eyes out, thinking they were going to take it away from me.

I still feel the same, now. It is so much a part of me, i would never consider cutting one off. When I was a teenager, I got into numerology, and found out my number was 11, based on other factors... but i didn't believe in coincidences at the time. I dont believe in numerology now, but I am still fond of the number 11, because it expresses my individuality.

I'm Unique... just like everybody else.
- Kenneth
KronKyrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 PM   #32
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Does anyone know how I would go about putting xray images on the computer? Probably phrased that wrong... I have xrays I want to save as jpgs but they don't scan well - too dark. Any ideas?
not really sure..........a friend tells me to snap it to your digicam with the xray on a flourescent viewer, scan and copy. Don't quote me on this one. I haven't tried it....... an image of an image of an.............
Old 12-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #33
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Does anyone know how I would go about putting xray images on the computer? Probably phrased that wrong... I have xrays I want to save as jpgs but they don't scan well - too dark. Any ideas?
I would take a picture of it with a digital camera, import it into a paint program and then select the option to make it a negative. It might probably help to have it on a light table when photographing it. I've never tried it but it might be worth a shot.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
My scanner has an adapter that allows me to scan slides and negatives by backlighting them. When the adapter is plugged in it kills the normal scanning light. You could use something like that with a strong backlight.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:42 AM   #35
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
These aren't x-rays of the guy in the IotD, but they show photos and x-rays of a person's hands and feetl from the 4th image on down the page. This person has syndactyly and polydactyly on both hands and polydactyly on both feet.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:44 PM   #36
KronKyrios
Recruit or Something

THX Cyber Wolf.. That last link really helped... From that page i found that Googling for: Postaxial Polydactyly - Preaxial Polydactyly - Crossed Polydactyly - or - Syndactyly :reveal a wealth of information on the topic... it turns out at least one study shows the occurence of this to be 1 in 1000, with much higher rates in some subsets. I am still trying to figure out all the terms... it seems Preaxial is on the big toe or thumb, Postaxial is the fingers, Crossed is on both hands and feet, and Syndactyly... i am not sure, maybe combined or misshappen digits?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #37
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
It might probably help to have it on a light table when photographing it.
Do they have light tables at Kinko's I wonder? I tried holding them up to a window but the screen and trees interfered too much.
Thanks for the ideas