The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: How unfortunate are you? (Be honest, now)
The net is my only contact with other people, I use it at home and in the dog shed, and would use it at work if I hadn't been fired for infiltrating the company database and spamming uncontrollably. 1 4.00%
I have less than 100 hairs on my head, or have never approached a member of the opposite sex in real life. 1 4.00%
I am just bored at work, and am perfectly normal. 15 60.00%
I am hot, and have been compared to Brad Pitt or Cameron Diaz. I also have an IQ above 150. 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #31
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Is it wierd using those online dating things?
Match.com is how HP and I met. So sometimes they do work.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:47 PM   #32
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
But how easy is it to accurately gague someone from their profile and how often are those profiles misleading.
Sometimes it can be hard. A few of the guys I met on-line before Alan were not quite suited to me. One guy was great over email and on the phone but in person he only wanted to talk about himself, and there was no chemistry between us. Another guy also seemed great over email but on the second date he told me he wasn't going to bother with me any more because I hadn't kissed him yet. Then when I said it was unfair to think a person should go around kissing everyone they just met, this guy turned on the nasty juice and said some shitty things. Never had another date with him after that.
So yeah there can be some people who just don't mesh with you but there can also be some great people. I met a few on Match.com but Alan was by far the best guy I have ever met.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:06 PM   #33
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Originally posted by Brigliadore

Match.com is how HP and I met. So sometimes they do work.
HB and I met that way, too! My overall experience was very good; I met a number of great guys who were just what they said they were. Fortunately I held out for HB -- for polar opposites on most matters, we are uncannily well suited to each other.

Looking around on a huge site like Match.com was like having 10 friends who know you really well each put five guys that they think are well-suited to you into a room, in suspended animation. You have keys to the room and can go in and spend time with whichever one you want, any time, night or day. Since they were all recommended by friends, there are hardly any losers or jerks in the bunch.

Man, is it just me, or is it getting hot in here?
Old 04-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #34
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Women who primarily value their own "hotness" above all else become strangely pathetic by about age 36. . . The "hot" women at that age are the ones who are comfy in their own skin.
Interesting you say that... I'd have to agree based on one very specific instance: my high school reunion.

At the 5-year reunion, everybody was approximately 23 years old. Mostly people were just done with college or finishing up, maybe starting grad school or establishing themselves in a new job. You damn near couldn't have told the difference between any of us then and back in school.

Fast forward 5 years to the 10-year reunion; the typical age was then 28. The difference was unbelievable. It was like half the class all of a sudden decided to grow up and become themselves. It's hard to explain, and the changes weren't entirely physical, but I really had an overwhelming impression that, like you say, many of the people were just comfortable in their own skin in a way they hadn't been back before.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #35
headsplice
Relaxed

26 (almost 27); male; not beaten-with-a-stick-ugly, but not Brad Pitt either.
As far as my love life goes, it keeps getting better as I get older. As I've gotten older, I've become more comfortable with who I am, and that kind of confidence apparently works (to apply the 'comfortable in one's own skin' concept to myself) as just over the past year or so I've gone on more dates with more extremely attractive (not just good looking, but intelligent, well-spoken, funny women) than I would have ever dreamed possible even a couple of years ago.

Also, my crazy-radar has become more sensitive, so I can tell which ones to avoid almost from the get-go (it's amazing how much you can tell about a person from the way they walk and carry themselves).
Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
(it's amazing how much you can tell about a person from the way they walk and carry themselves).
Watch out for the ones in a sedan chair carried by 4 big guys in diapers.