The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #31
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No, not a strawman. Disproving statements that have been fed to the public, through the media, by the greenies. Shit, even advertisements are full of carbon footprint/global warming reminders. If you repeat a lie often enough...
If this site is reactionary to mainstream beliefs and not beliefs held in the scientific community, why is the site named "Science is Broken"? The entire point of the site is trying to show that the scientific community is corrupt and has an agenda while trying to disprove beliefs held by the public, not the scientific community. That is an argument flaw and a strawman. If the site was trying to disprove common misconceptions about global warming, I would agree that the arguments are not strawmen, but since it is an attempt to disprove the scientific community with public misconception, it becomes one.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The common misconceptions about global warming are stemming from broken science, "scientists" with an agenda, that honest scientists can't refute without risking their funding and careers.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #33
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
True tho. Of course it helps that the Church of England is a religious organisation based primarily on tea, jam and scones :P
Cake or death?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #34
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Every time I see this thread title, I get that damn Cat Stevens song in my head.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #35
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well said Bruce - To that end, what if the media decides what "science" will be newsworthy...
Old 09-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #36
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Every time I see this thread title, I get that damn Cat Stevens song in my head.
You hear "morning has broken", I hear "silence is golden"
Quote:
The common misconceptions about global warming are stemming from broken science, "scientists" with an agenda, that honest scientists can't refute without risking their funding and careers.
What makes you say that support for global warming is "misconceptions" from "broken science", and infer that the scientists who interpret data that way are dishonest? I haven't seen irrefutable proof either way.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #37
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
What makes you say that support for global warming is "misconceptions" from "broken science", and infer that the scientists who interpret data that way are dishonest? I haven't seen irrefutable proof either way.
Thats the point, I believe. There is no irrefutable proof, yet many people are acting as though there is. Why is that?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #38
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
That has more to do with our media setup as a whole instead of science because that is applicable to politics, economics, etc as well. Legitimate political analysis share very little with the views being spewed by CNN or FOX News, which would be considered mainstream. Economics works the same way as well. While I won't disagree that political forces influence environmental science, the biggest problem is that the mainstream gets their news from second or third hand sources and not first. So, if a scientist writes a paper that goes against the common misconceptions, it just won't pick up steam because the people with agendas (people with money and power) won't publicize it to a mainstream audience.

While skimming the website, the only name I saw was Al Gore. That would be like blaming the entire US political science field because Bill O'Reilly has the largest influence. As I said, I won't disagree that their are large flaws with agendas and science, but the largest problem I see is the communication between science and the mainstream, not the actual science itself. And that website does not address that issue at all.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wish they'd quit the bullshit and just say we've got to develop alternative energy because we're going to run out of oil. When that happens the price of energy (and everything else) will skyrocket, and wars will be fought for what's left.
So we should use oil only for what's essential, like NASCAR.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
So we should use oil only for what's essential, like NASCAR.
Fuck NASCAR, they can switch to these.

Quote:
Acceleration 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds Top Speed 125 mph (electronically limited)
So if they take off the electronic governor, what's the top speed? And this is the first generation of the Tesla.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote