The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #31
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

My guess would be the moisture. A toaster is open, and lets the moisture out.

Maybe a toaster oven would make darker toast if the door were open for a bit of time at the end.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #32
Pie
Gone and done

Naw, my toaster oven will do light-brown, medium brown and very dark brown in one cycle (depending on setting). It does the lightwave/halogen thingie, in addition to standard ohmic heating.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #33
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
There are a couple of variables with the browning of bread in a toaster. Technically, it is called "carmelization". For a given toaster how long it takes the toast to achieve a level of brown depends on the sugar in the bread, as well as the moisture and the mass. Breads like wonder bread will incinerate before a sourdough whole wheat 37 grain bread will even be warmed up.

The other issue is the proximity of the heating elements to the aforementioned bread. Some toasters the elements are "up front and touching", others, like toaster ovens, are too far away to effectivelt brown a bagel without drying it out in the process.

To keep the moisture you want a high heat very close. Think black and blue steak, you won't get that on a medium flame.

When selecting toasters in a store that won't let you do a test run (WTF is up with customer service these days?) check to see how many amps the toaster draws, more should be better.

I am born to eat toast. Right now I have a KitchenAid and it is ok, but not a patch on the asbestos lined beauty I got at a yard sale. That fucker could toast. I mean it could TO-AST. (plus I loved making toast for my chemically pure MIL when she came to visit. That was second only to making pie crusts with lard, which she thought was awful, and telling her it was manteca, which she raved about how wonderful it tasted. Hey, there'll be lots of toast in hell, join me!)

Last edited by footfootfoot; 03-27-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: maybe too embeveraged to punctuate or speel
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #34
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I am born to eat toast... Hey, there'll be lots of toast in hell, join me!
I'm headed for that hot place anyway, very pleased to hear there is toast there!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #35
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I'll get a shot of my toaster later today...9$ (8.99) at the local 'Freds' (discount sorta-kinda place) one lever, one knob.. does the job and at that price! although.. it's really only good for toasting bread and the occasional bagel/english muffin.. as to durability? I dunno only had it a year so far.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #36
toaster
Neophyte-in-training

I've lasted for 24 years and counting.

Didn't see this thread before I signed up, I've been lurking for a while and decided to join. Funny, I've rarely viewed this category and this was at the top today.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #37
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Wolf...remember this?

My toaster is in the attached picture on the right...it rules!
Attached Images

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #38
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

Do you still have the old toaster? (edit: just read the thread & saw that it was fixed, but it's a general solicitation...)

I want a push-down pop-up style, 2-slice toaster, ideally chrome exterior but I'm not going to be picky for a project I'm considering. It doesn't need to work (I hope to salvage the switching mechanism, but that's about it).

I'll pay postage if anybody has one they want to donate. Could probably write it off as a charity donation (art student.)
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #39
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'd recommend Goodwill, they always have plenty of old-style appliances for under $10.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #40
elSicomoro

Or you could just buy a new one at Kmart or Wal-Mart for $10...that's how much my last toaster was. A White-Westinghouse...had it and used it semi-regularly for 5 years. Only got rid of it because I didn't need it anymore after I moved home. I know college kids don't have a lot of scratch, but still...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #41
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
...ohmic heating.
I had no idea that Bhuddist meditation had such power!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #42
elSicomoro

It's something that's not talked about much...spontaneous combustion by Buddhists...fuck! Said too much...
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #43
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
... By the way, there were two integrated circuits on the circiut board for this toaster. Toasters with circiut boards! What the hell? Integrated circuits?! ....
Im in ur toaster, reportin' to Bush.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #44
Flint
Snowflake

My toaster, the one with least features I could find, has a blue light on the front that never goes off. I have to fucking unplug it because it bothers me so much - I only use it maybe once a day at the most, it doesn't need a fucking blue light constantly announcing whatever bullshit it thinks I need to know! Fucking toasters. Like everything else, built to break.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #45
elSicomoro

It's gotten into your fucking head, man!