The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-27-2005, 03:37 AM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Yes, I get it. That's their old symbol. It just strikes me as horribly naive that they think the rest of the world will want to adopt their symbol over the much more significant meaning it has taken on since the thousands of years they've used it.
Since there's no link, we're debating UT's take on the situation and really aren't sure what the Hindu's intentions are. It maybe they just want to use the swastika without the world recoiling in horror as they did with the prince. We witnessed the reaction to the prince but we don't know what kind of heat the hindus get over it.

But yes, I know the western world recoils in horror and that's why I made a defensive statement here.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:57 AM   #32
axlrosen
Major Inhabitant

Yes, I think we're all actually mostly in agreement here - we just weren't sure what this campaign is trying to do. So I Googled around and found that this campaign actually is in response to the aftermath of Prince Harry's outfit. People are calling for a Europe-wide ban on displaying swastikas, and Hindus are trying to educate people that the symbol has other meanings than Nazism.

"You find it in houses, temples and in portraits of Hindu gods. A swastika is even painted on the head of a baby who's just had his first hair-cutting sacrament."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4188141.stm
axlrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's good work ax, thanks!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #34
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Is it ok if I want to fly my Confederate flag?*

*I don't have one, I just want to know if it's ok. I may get one. You never know what you might buy on QVC after a few 7&7's.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #35
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Is it ok if I want to fly my Confederate flag?
I was not aware that the Confederate flag was used for anything prior to its use as the Confederate flag that would provide a rationale for flying it other than support for the Confederacy. Enlighten me.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #36
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Some people feel it's a symbol of slavery. Or, support of slavery.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #37
warch
lurkin old school

Multiple meanings for graphic symbols based on context is a pretty valuable thing to learn. Its literacy. And thousands of years of peaceful and continued use of this mark by non western groups is good to know. Evil will always find or appropriate symbols to aid in their marketing plans.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #38
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Is it ok if I want to fly my Confederate flag?*

*I don't have one, I just want to know if it's ok. I may get one. You never know what you might buy on QVC after a few 7&7's.
I'm sensing an attempt at humor here, but since I don't know if it is poor humor or ignorance we'll try this.

Which one?

Stars and Bars the first governmental flag of the CSA

Second governmental flag:

Third governmental flag:

Confederate Battle Flag:

Confederate Naval Jack: mistaken as the flag of the CSA

"Bonnie Blue" the one you never hear about:
Old 01-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #39
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Well, TS, I suppose since it's me, it would have to be both, wouldn't it?

I like the Bonnie Blue. Simple, yet magestic.

Lighten up or get laid or something, will you?

—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #40
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
I like the Bonnie Blue. Simple, yet magestic.
Nothing about the Dallas Cowboys is majestic. Except, perhaps, Quitsy Carter's cocaine budget.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #41
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
I'm sensing an attempt at humor here, but since I don't know if it is poor humor or ignorance we'll try this.

Which one?
Not knowing which flag is meant, unless otherwise specified, is deliberate ignorance.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #42
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Obviously I meant the Confederate Battle Flag! Sheesh! The one they fly around here in certain neighborhoods during certain anniversary's of certain battles! The battle of Chickamauga, etc.

NOBODY flies the damn Bonnie Blue for crissakes! Not in Ohio, anyway. You fella's continue to fight the good fight, though. Be deadly serious. It's good for your cardiac health. And chicks really dig it.

—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 01-27-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:23 PM   #43
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Just to be clear, I was saying that Troubleshooter pretending he didn't know which flag you were talking about was deliberate ignorance. Though perhaps I should have called it feigned ignorance. Everyone knows which flag is meant by "Confederate Flag". Bringing up other flags is just an attempt (successful in this case) to deflect a conversation into minutia.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #44
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Just to be clear, I was saying that Troubleshooter pretending he didn't know which flag you were talking about was deliberate ignorance. Though perhaps I should have called it feigned ignorance. Everyone knows which flag is meant by "Confederate Flag". Bringing up other flags is just an attempt (successful in this case) to deflect a conversation into minutia.
Oh. I am really trying not to be so sensitive. I think TS either hates me or he has a wicked crush on me coz he's always trying to make me look bad and I've nothing but the UTMOST respect for him and his snarky ways!

And, confidential to TS-the above was a little joke, honey. A joke.

—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #45
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I love minutia. Minutia makes the world go 'round.

I was sort of paralleling the whole point about the differences in the various swastikas with the, rather common, mistake about the flags, no attempt at a threadjack.

I'm what you would call, to borrow a phrase from E. E. Doc Smith, a "high tension thinker. I run wide open throttle most of the time. Sometimes it's a benefit, sometimes it's a pain in the ass. See LJ's anxiety thread...