The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Knowing that I can always count on bruce is an enormous relief.
No problem, Buddy.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:57 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:16 PM   #32
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Gulab Jamun is one of the most magnificent foods in the universe. One of our Indian doctors (sadly, no longer employed at the hospital) would bring me a batch every time she made them at home.
If you're ever out near Exton mall during the week, call me and we can have lunch at Himalyan . The lunch buffet usually includes chai tea, tandoor chicken, 'chilly chicken' which is SPICY, some kind of vegetable pakora (Indian tempura), one or two rice or stew dishes, one or two breads, salads and various sauces and relishes, and some traditional desserts like gulab jamun, another which is like candied funnel cake, as well as fruit cup in melted ice cream.

I think it's $8 for lunch now. A $1 extra gets you soda.

I am not a light eater by any means, but 2 or 3 pieces of tandoor chicken, a helping of the chilly chicken mixed with bread to cool it down, and 4 or 5 gulab jamuns, which are the size of meatballs, is enough to put me down. I love the chai tea, which has a nice blend of spices and is mixed with milk. If I'm feeling adventurous I will try some chutney or the hot and sour pickle relish. The soup is usually called Mulligatawny, but all the times I have been there it has been a broth and not the thick soup usually associated with the name.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 02-27-2005 at 02:19 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #33
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I just had sushi for the first time today at lunch! One of my bosses recently has gotten several grants, so he took the lab out to lunch as a thanks for our hard work.

I loved the miso soup, first slurp reminded me of ham and bean soup though.

Tuna was OK, tasted like tuna from the can, but stronger. The seaweed was kind of weird to chew though. Eel was not OK, tasted a bit muddy and way too strong for me. Had to drink some soy sauce to get myself to swallow it. There were several other kinds of sushi available, however, I wasn't feeling up to trying them after the eel.

For my main meal I went with cooked (medium) marinated beef tenderloin atop asian veggis. Super yum. I will be going back for that again sometime. My boss got a soft shell crab sandwich. There were LEGS sticking out of the bread for crying out loud. Um, I don't think so, not for this rat.

If anyone is ever in Iowa City, I highly recommend Takanami.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #34
Cloud

LOL "legs sticking out of the sandwich" !
Old 04-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #35
Cloud

if foreign food scares you, don't watch Anthony Bourdain! There's no way I'd eat some of the stuff he does on his travels.

One of the weirdest foreign foods I've had is huitlacoche (corn fungus) tacos. An acquired taste, I'm afraid.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #36
jinx
Come on, cat.

Very cool LR, you'll be an addict in no time. Was the eel anago or unagi?
The best way to get started in sushi is to find a nice place that does an all-you-can-eat lunch... that way you can try everything (which you should, at least twice).

Rich, is Himalyan next to Hello Deli, or...? It sounds fantastic.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #37
rkzenrage

"If it ain't poison and it ain't related to ya' it's food; an there's exceptions to botha' those rules"
My Pop (grandfather to most of ya')
I love going to large cities and finding ethnic foods and trying them. The more exotic the better, especially hot, spice belt, nationalities.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #38
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I'm with rkzenrage on this: if people eat it, it's not related to me, and I'm hungry then down the hatch it goes.

I had the best fish and tripe tacos the other day. I'm kind of surprised I didn't get sick from them, but the risk is part of the fun.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #39
Cloud

ugh. no. After living in Mexico and seeing wheelbarrows of steaming tripe rolled down the street--

I Just Say No to tripe. And Menudo.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #40
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
If you're ever out near Exton mall during the week, call me and we can have lunch at Himalyan .
Having just rediscovered this thread ... you know, we could still do this. I'd seen that restaurant when driving around with Tester San, and I was curious about it. He might enjoy it as well.

I'd have to squeeze you in between momwolf's doctor's appointments, but just so long as I can get back to the nuthouse before my daypass runs out, I should be okay.

I don't have your phone numbers, though ... could you PM them?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #41
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Was the eel anago or unagi?
I looked up what those were, and I'm not sure. Might have been listed in the menu, but I don't recall. All I know is that is was smoked, supposedly.

I don't know about things growing on me. If I have a bad experience with a food, I don't think I've ever changed my mind about it.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #42
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

"If it ain't poison and it ain't related to ya' it's food;

I can dig it , but I DON'T do INNARDS !!!!
No tripe , liver , Menudo ,chiterlings , sweet breads , etc,,,,,, !!!!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #43
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post

Damn no Chitlings.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:10 PM   #44
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyt View Post

Second.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #45
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

You guys are missing out. Duck liver pate, foie gras, liver and onions, menudo, sweet breads, rocky mountain oysters...I could go on and on about the amazingness of these things.

The next thing I want to try to cook is Peruvian-style roast guinea pig.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote