The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #31
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Absolutely. We've been witness to strides they are making in treating TBI, for example.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #32
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

i wish they would make more advances in ptsd. all the va seems to want to do is give you additional meds.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #33
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

And they're not even very good at that.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #34
Big Sarge

you are so right! i had to pay over $400 out of pocket because they can't mail them on schedule
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #35
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Of course he's right--he's a Doctor!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You know what they call the guy who graduated last in his class in medical school?

"Doctor."

FYI, its a bad idea to tell that joke in a doctor's office. Just sayin'.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #37
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I tell every undecided kind-hearted compassionate kid I see that the jobs future is gonna be in PTSD counselling. I told this wonderful LPN to get the hell out of the nursing home, get her mental health tech degree (2 years) and go counsel vets. That's the job that's going to be needed. PTSD, substance abuse and general counseling for vets.

It's also a bad idea to tell a doctor that you are an RN. I NEVER tell them that but when I go to the doc/hosp. with my mom (which is happening more and more often) my dad always tells the doc and I cringe b/c I don't want the doc getting all hostile and defensive. I don't know why he does it - he's never been proud of anything I've ever done anyway. It's a weird sort of reverse torture.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #38
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
That's the job that's going to be needed.
needed, yes, but funded?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #39
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
needed, yes, but funded?
They're going to have to out of complete embarrassment; not compassion and caring. So many suicides, substance abusers, wife-beaters/murders, they'll have to do something. THEY put those people there for ten years...they're going to have to do it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #40
Big Sarge

PTSD is a major issue for us. In fact we had a suicide standown that required all soldiers in my Brigade to attend briefings and take assessments. It is so sad that my unit has been home for 2 years and our suicides are increasing. It seems to be the multiple deployments in a non-linear war coupled with soldiers returning home to no jobs and so many divorces. BTW, do you realize the average soldier has more combat time than most WW II vets? Of course I'm not taking anything away from those vets because I truly believe they saved the world from horrible oppression.

I guess I ramble.......
Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #41
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

No you don't, Sarge
You make good, but sad, points.

Sent by thought transference.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
Griff
still says videotape

I've been thinking about this in comparison to my Uncle's Vietnam experience. He and his buddies returned to a country where blowing off steam seemed a little more possible. Street / track racing, drinking, and fighting in rural / suburban America provided necessary if inappropriate outlets that are far more scrutinized today in our hyper-security state. They got next to no services from the VA, which I hope doesn't happen again, but we always have more money for starting wars than cleaning up after them. I hope our next President keeps that in mind, hopefully Romney's bellicosity is for style more than substance as described here.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #43
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Our veteran"s benefits office is like a different separate part of our office. I was pleased to hear the ideas of a candidate for a new vp (we were invited to hear him talk about his experience and ideas) to extend it into a veteran's services office that has all kinds of resources for veterans. From something as simple as a place for them to hang out, use the computers, talk to each other...to counseling services and advocacy. I would really like to see that need met.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote