The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Or knit your housemate a ball-gag.
:mittens:

This is pure win.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #32
Tiki

An update on the housemate: as if by magic, she seems to know that I am on the verge of homicidal rampage, and she actually STOPPED herself at one point this morning and said "OK now, just because it's morning doesn't mean you have to fill it with noise" and then went and quietly talked to her dog for a while.

YAY PROGRESS!

She really is trying, and she's a good person. She just doesn't do "quiet" well.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #33
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This is actually a control issue. If she was a TV, you'd leave her on for company, because then you'd be in control: you'd have an off switch.

Thus, if you choose to, you can control your need to control, and there will be no more issue.

My ex used to complain about my snoring. To fix it, she kicked me whenever I woke her up by snoring. Thus satisfying her need to control.

J simply got earplugs.

I love J.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #34
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
This is actually a control issue. If she was a TV, you'd leave her on for company, because then you'd be in control: you'd have an off switch.

Thus, if you choose to, you can control your need to control, and there will be no more issue.

My ex used to complain about my snoring. To fix it, she kicked me whenever I woke her up by snoring. Thus satisfying her need to control.

J simply got earplugs.

I love J.
She kept herself awake all night long in a state of cat like readiness, just so she could kick you when you made a loud, abrupt sound, cross between hocking up a luger and choking to death, and thus exert her will upon you? God, what a fucking psycho...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #35
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
:mittens:

This is pure win.
Three words: Knitted Ball Gag.

How could you not love a book with a pattern for a knitted ball gag?!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #36
Tiki

Quote:

This is pure bullshit. I do not have the TV on as background noise, EVER, because I cannot stand it. I can't tolerate ANYTHING on as "background noise". I listen to music, but unless I'm actually focusing on it, it's too much noise too.

I like conversation. What I dislike is the kind of constant, meaningless chattering (especially in the morning or late at night, when I'm either trying to get ready for work or I'm tired) that demands a response even though no useful information is being conveyed. If it's a control issue, it's a need to control others by forcing them to respond instead of letting them do what they're trying to focus on.

You seem to think that people who prefer not to have constant, meaningless, attention-distracting chatter directed at them are somehow trying to control others. The reality is that all I want control over are my OWN boundaries, and others are trespassing when they will not observe them. Who is trying to control who?

Quote:

J simply got earplugs.

I love J.
That's an appropriate solution to a problem *you* had no control over.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:31 AM   #37
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I sympathise Tiki.

I am a fairly gregarious person, some of the time. But when I am wanting quiet, I cannot bear anybody trying to chit chat with me. It's one of the reasons I live alone. I do tend to go for background noise (unless I am reading) but it has to be a particular kind of background noise. Someone wittering on about something and nothing doesn't count.

That said, if I am feeling up and chatty, I am probably the worst person for a quiet type to be around :P

You sound like someone who really needs their own space Tiki. Is it at all likely that you will be able to get into a situation where you can take a house by yourself?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 AM   #38
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I LOVE living alone. When I want to be around people, the whole world is only a few feet away. I couldn't even handle my own son staying with me. I was so glad when he left.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #39
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I bow to you. Who else would think to find an actual recipe for a knitted ball-gag?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #40
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
The reality is that all I want control over are my OWN boundaries, and others are trespassing when they will not observe them. Who is trying to control who?
Yes, but you SET your OWN boundaries. And when you live with someone else, you are bound to step on theirs and they are bound to step on yours. It's pretty inevitable.

Do you think you don't step on hers? I'll wager you have some really annoying habits.

We all do.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #41
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I bow to you. Who else would think to find an actual recipe for a knitted ball-gag?
But wouldn't you be worried about shrinkage?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #42
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
But wouldn't you be worried about shrinkage?
"I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."
--Elaine Benes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #43
Tiki

Quote:
Yes, but you SET your OWN boundaries. And when you live with someone else, you are bound to step on theirs and they are bound to step on yours. It's pretty inevitable.

Do you think you don't step on hers? I'll wager you have some really annoying habits.

We all do.
You know what? FUCK YOU.

No doubt I do have annoying habits, and she's free to complain to her friends about them. This is MY FUCKING HOUSE and she should at least respect my wish to be left the fuck alone IN MY FUCKING OFFICE in the morning.

I have been a quiet person my whole life and I hate having people make meaningless sounds at me in the morning.

Are you one of those people who can't help trespassing other people's boundaries with your constant, idiotic sound-making? One of those retarded twits who can't fucking stop making noise with your stupid fucking mouth because you're uncomfortable with thought and silence, and if some retarded pointless phrase phrase of babble passes through your empty fucking head it pops straight out of your useless flapping lips?

If yes, take YOUR stupid boundary-crossing control issue and shove it up your ass, fucktard.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #44
Flint
Snowflake

Oh God, I love this Tiki person.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #45
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I sympathise Tiki.

I am a fairly gregarious person, some of the time. But when I am wanting quiet, I cannot bear anybody trying to chit chat with me. It's one of the reasons I live alone. I do tend to go for background noise (unless I am reading) but it has to be a particular kind of background noise. Someone wittering on about something and nothing doesn't count.

That said, if I am feeling up and chatty, I am probably the worst person for a quiet type to be around :P

You sound like someone who really needs their own space Tiki. Is it at all likely that you will be able to get into a situation where you can take a house by yourself?
I definitely prefer living alone. I own the house, but she needed a place to stay when she broke up with her girlfriend, and she has a giant fucking obnoxious dog so she can't get an apartment. The rent money comes in handy, little as it is, but I'm still hoping she'll move in with her new boyfriend within a year.