The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The difference, I think is that the Poles have near neighbors, and are subject to invasion.

That makes for a very different national character.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #32
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
There's nothing wrong with patriotism or national pride--just that many in the US have taken it to the point where it is obnoxious and embarrassing.
I can agree with that. It's one of the many issues I have with Bush and his ideological clones.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:19 PM   #33
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Well, at least you admit your teeth are bad. You know, the first step to getting help is admitting that you have a problem.
You are giving LJ way too much credit. First, he ran his teeth issue by his internal sales staff while publicly villyfying dentists as oral butchers. When the staff reached a consensus, a position statement was developed. LJ then sent a draft of the statement to the owners of other competing dealerships to humbly request their assistance in refining the statement to one with which they might offer their concurrance. Further "refinements" and "constructive" adjustments were made to the statement as a direct result of the feedback of the placated, competing dealers.

Then, LJ, polled a statistically significant sample of customers to determine exactly how to refine and present his statement and ultimately the solution to his teeth issue so as to offend the fewest number of customers while simultaneously appealing to the greatest number of customers.

Alternatively, LJ could have just looked in the mirror and said, "I'm not happy with this - I think I'll do something about it." Its called decisiveness. De-cise-ive-ness.

And if you are going to attack somebody, don't use something they shared with you when you have declined to share the same. Its cheap, immature and unimaginative.

Last edited by Beestie; 11-03-2004 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #34
jaguar
whig

England? Leave blair in chance, the opposition are in joke, I'm just hoping the tories are relegated to minor party and the Jib Dems take opposition. Us all? Who the hell knows, the wonderful age of the death of nation states is still a long way off but traditional (last centuary) power blocks and relationships are on the way out and relationships of convenience are in. I still hope if I make it to being old and grey I get to see the dawn of an age where nations are nothing more than flags of convenience are to ships today. In the meantime, as the Chinese saying goes, we're doomed to live in Interesting Times.

The welfare state, the stable international relationships, they're all an historical anomoly payed for with debt, a side effect of the biggest problem with democracy - people realized they could vote themselves bread and circuses. The true cost of this centuary of decadence will be realized.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 PM   #35
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
The difference, I think is that the Poles have near neighbors, and are subject to invasion.

That makes for a very different national character.
OK, what about Australia? Iceland? I didn't see any over-the-top flag-waving in those countries, either.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #36
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
And if you are going to attack somebody, don't use something they shared with you when you have declined to share the same. Its cheap, immature and unimaginative.
First of all, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about in the first part of you post. If his teeth have been a matter of discussion here, it's news to me.

As for the quoted portion above, I find it entertaining that you're defending someone who has continually chosen to personally attack me simply because he doesn't like my opinions. He went on the attack on me in this thread, as he has done in every other case. I have ignored him and his posts for the last month.

And is it OK that he called me a "cunt"? To me, the use of that word in ANY context is "cheap, immature and unimaginative."

Last edited by garnet; 11-03-2004 at 12:31 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #37
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
England? Leave blair in chance, the opposition are in joke, I'm just hoping the tories are relegated to minor party and the Jib Dems take opposition.
jag, I've no idea what that means. What is a Jib Dem??
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM   #38
jaguar
whig

Lib Dem, my bad (how did I get across two keys??), Liberal Democrats, a leftish 3rd party here, been gaining a lot of ground of late, lots of fresh new innovative ideas and surprisingly sound fiscal planning, good combination.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #39
iamthewalrus109
High Propagandist

No need for melodrama

I hate to say it, but if you look at my prediction post, which some scoffed at, I wasn't off by that much on the electoral. To think that John Kerry could carry the day was, I'm sorry, but a snowball's chance in hell. The clincher for this election in many ways was the anti-Kerry vote. This represented about 15% of George Bush's support. John Kerry's flip flop image was only part of it. For many his testimony in front of the Senate Arm Services committee in '71 and the revelation that he had contributed to the torture of POWs in Vietnam due to his public statments, were damning in the end. This was his weakest point.

It's true that John F. Kerry served in Vietnam, and I believe with as much honor as possible, but his actions after the war were damaging to the soldiers in country during the conflict, and nothing could erase that. Bush and Cheney might have avoided service through various means, but they did not sell out our prisoners of war. All one has to do is liken that today, whether the cause is deemed honorable or not at this point, soldiers in Iraq have been sold out during this election, plain and simple. One could easily make an argument for the continued violence being fuled by election rhetoric. I await for the pouncing statments of ye' cellar dwellers, but remember, John Kerry did this to himself, GW might have used 527s to his full advantage, but John Kerry will never live down his protest past, a protest past that put GI's and POWs in danger in Vietnam, and in Iraq. Suggest a solution, but don't attack the efforts of grunts, it's just not what a aspiring Comander and chief does.

-Walrus
iamthewalrus109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:39 PM   #40
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus109
I hate to say it...
Liar. you LOVE to say it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:11 PM   #41
Pie
Gone and done

I desperately want to respect my fellow countrymen, and my nation as a whole. I am unable to do that.

I want my country to be safer. It certainly won't be that.

I want to be able to pursue life, liberty and hapiness. Apparently, I won't be allowed to do that unless I'm white, straight, and attend the same church they do.

I want to cry. I will do that.

- Pie
Old 11-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #42
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
huh. every cloud DOES have a silver lining. any chance of you taking maristinkingchiko with you?
You just can't leave it alone, can you? I'll think I'll leave your comment to fall on its own lack of merit.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #43
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Boy this thread is friendly. I'm willing to sponser any political asylum seekers to Australia, Switzerland or Britain.
PM me with the details for Switzerland and/or Britain, Jag. I've got the money for plane fare and a little besides.

PS Flippant is here and says "Sign me up, too!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #44
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm trying very, very hard to imagine what my response would have been had the electoral vote situation been reversed.

I do know that I would not have a screamed, ranted, cried, and stated that I was taking my toys and going to someone else's house because YOU'RE NOT NICE.

Boo hoo. Weep weep.

It would have been another day. I have nuts to wrangle, bills to pay, and other responsibilities to attend to.

I don't need to give energy to pointless frustration.

Take a lesson from the name of the biggest 527 ... move on.

Wow. I wonder what George Soros is saying this morning ... he thought he bought himself a presidency ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:41 PM   #45
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Re-elected Bush. Gains in the Senate. Gains in the House. Gains in governors races, state assemblies, and local elections.

This is a serious question: in light of the fact that the progressive movement staged a very effective get out the vote campaign, had access to massive amounts of money, by most accounts won the debates, did everything "right" in the election, why do you think they lost this election in such spectacular fashion? Is it a process failure (somehow didn't manage to communicate their issues) or an ideology failure (most people know their issues and disagree)?

-sm