The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I tried changing the world. It turned out the world didn't want, nor did it need changing. When I look at what I did, I feel a little foolish. I thought I was helping when I was just grasping at straws. Next time I'm going to make sure I get it right.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #32
breakingnews
Q_Q

Thanks bruce, for bringing to light a larger point in the discussion.

I think this whole situation has to do mostly with coming to terms with reality. People have opinions and they're going to show, and with so much open interpretation out there you're going to believe what you want to think.

I don't agree entirely that mainstream media has lost all of its credibility, but I especially don't think that readers can turn to the mass of blogs out there as "credible" news sources, or at least more credible than professional outlets.

Blogs are viral webs of opinions based on opinions based on more opinions. It's exhausting to read through thousands of words of mudslinging to find whatever "truth" you're looking for, and, as I think UT pointed out early on, there is a blog out there for you, however left, right, up or down you lean. Filters might work for educated readers, but I think - for at least the next 10-20 years or so - the average person isn't going to exert that kind of effort. Most of those who do will find two or three blogs that complement their opinions and feed bullshit from there anyway.

Bloggers challenge the media because they can do things the pro outlets can't. They can openly preach an agenda, they can be inflammatory, they can expand on hypotheticals based solely on rumors. They are also completely at liberty to - and often do - omit facts or whatever that don't work in their favor. Suddenly that's become a more respected form of news analysis? I struggle with that. But is it needed to advance discussion? Of course.

Yes, editorial crusading is awful, and mainstream media (mostly TV) needs lots of retooling. The errors and bias are committed by relatively few, and it's usually in the sake of trying to get a scoop. But don't think the major outlets aren't there to challenge each other, too - trust me, I hear plenty every day about doing what it takes to beat the big papers and wire services by proving that their facts are inaccurate or downright wrong.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #33
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I tried changing the world. It turned out the world didn't want, nor did it need changing. When I look at what I did, I feel a little foolish. I thought I was helping when I was just grasping at straws. Next time I'm going to make sure I get it right.
OK, then is personal success measured in change (which ain't likely) or in the effort to try, to do the "right" thing, to make an effort?
Seems to me the double belly buttons and JW's seem quite content with preaching regardless of success.
Radar's liberals keep butting the wall of reality quite happily.
You older folks might remember the Brooklyn Dodger fans chant, "Wait till next year".
Maybe these people fall into the "fat, dumb and happy" category but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.
At least I've got the fat and dumb down.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I believe my role on this earth is to try to improve the lot of humanity somehow. I don't have to succeed, all I have to do is try.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #35
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
I believe my role on this earth is to try to improve the lot of humanity somehow. I don't have to succeed, all I have to do is try.
Not to veer wildly off topic, but I believe that, too. There's got to be moderation though. You can kill yourself trying.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The object, I think, is to die trying. Understanding that success is not required should reduce the number of people that kill themselves.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM   #37
russotto
Professor

Personally, I feel the best way the lot of humanity could be improved is through targeted assassinations of some of the worst offenders against it. Spammers, persistent trolls, dictators, record company executives, linguistics professors with delusions of political genius, etc. Only problem is

1) It's hard to implement
2) I'm pretty sure I'm on the list.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #38
lookout123
changed his status to single

russotto - i'll second your emotion if you will kindly add one category to the hitlist: Lobbiests.

thank you.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #39
glatt

If you put lobbyists on the list, you need to put the members of the organizations that hire lobbyists on the list too. Only fair. The lobbyists are just doing what they are told.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #40
jaguar
whig

so were the soldiers in auschwitz.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #41
lookout123
changed his status to single

i guess i was looking at the whole lobbiest organizational chart. i'm into mass extermination. it helps with population control.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In the arena of blogs vs traditional media.......I got an email today from the L.A.Times.
Quote:
The Los Angeles Times today launched the first stage of a year-long initiative to improve and expand the newspaper’s Internet offerings, with a special emphasis on utility for Southern Californians.
Quote:
In coming months, latimes.com will add original Web features and voices that will turn the site's sections into major online destinations. As part of that effort, latimes.com will create venues for community interaction across the board -- in news, sports, local issues and activities, entertainment and classifieds marketplaces.
I guess they feel moving the paper onto the web is enough. Same shit different venue.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:47 PM   #43
busterb
NSABFD

I got the same e-mail, I guess hit delete. BTW they let me out today. Five wonderfull nights of what ever.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome back, Buster.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #45
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Congrats on the running head start. I hope it takes you to some good places, buster!!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote