The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 AM   #31
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

You just can't fake this kind of crazy. JBklyde is my new favorite nut bar....

Sorty, monster...you've been ousted.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #32
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
The comparison is about Abraham and a suicide bomber, not god and allah.

Discuss.
Abraham is a fictional character, or at least based on someone so far in the past that they are irrelevant. A suicide bomber is real and hurting other people now.

I prefer a few crazy parents (almost) murdering their children, to someone actually blowing up as many people as possible.

The suicide aspect is irrelevant.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #33
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
easy. abraham was asked by God, well commanded really, to sacrifice his son. a suicide bomber is killing himself. there is a big difference. it's one thing to sacrifice yourself but to sacrifice your offspring is another. in abrahams; case he showed God that God came first. over everything and everyone.

just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Winkle View Post
Abraham is a fictional character, or at least based on someone so far in the past that they are irrelevant. A suicide bomber is real and hurting other people now.

I prefer a few crazy parents (almost) murdering their children, to someone actually blowing up as many people as possible.

The suicide aspect is irrelevant.
Abraham believed he was doing god's will. A suicide bomber believes he is doing god's will.

Frankly, I think they're both hallucinating crazies, but this is an entertaining philosophical discussion.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #34
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Abraham believed he was doing god's will. A suicide bomber believes he is doing god's will.
I usually end up doing dog's will, too. The worst I end up with is a sore arm from throwing a tennis ball for three hours.

I don't know what kind of dog Abraham and suicide bombers follow, but I hope I never find out.

Honestly, there are secular beliefs that are every bit as stupid as "obeying god's will." Humans are great at justifying irrational behavior, whether they are mentally ill or not.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #35
JBKlyde
Banned

I'll attempt to answer the sucide bomber vs abe question.

First off abe's son did not get sacraficed. It was a test to see how serious abe really was. Kind of like a weed out coarse in college. If your going to be an engineer, they want you to be an excellent engineer.. not a half arsed lego builder. Therefore you go through certain test to see if you have what it takes. And that is what God dose is test us. He will never test us beyond our limits.

Suicde Bombers are lead astray by there leaders.. in totall annilation the code to self destruct is "control alt delete" deletleing one's self is like earseing your name off of the book of life there fore you are hell bond.

God's goal and the goal of most God fearing relegions is to go to Heaven and to take as many up with us as possible. Therefor Islam is evil for calling it's people to "cntrl alt delete" themselfves in the name of God. So is charles manson but maynson is an evil nazi not a christian.

k peash...
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #36
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
... First off abe's son did not get sacraficed. It was a test to see how serious abe really was. ...
But wasn't it an incomplete test? Why didn't God let Abraham kill his son and then simply resurrect Abraham's son as God is purported to have done with his own son Jesus? Does God have a convenient set of double standards ... one for his own son and another for Abraham's son?
Quote:
... And that is what God dose is test us. He will never test us beyond our limits. Suicde Bombers are lead astray by there leaders ...
Does that imply God was afraid that Abraham would, in hindsight, have changed his mind about following God if Abraham had actually killed for him? That's not a problem with suicide bombers; so, maybe they're just God's Test 2.0 (new and improved).
Quote:
... deletleing one's self is like earseing your name off of the book of life there fore you are hell bond. ...
God is entitled to change His mind about that to suit the times we live in.
Quote:
... Islam is evil for calling it's people to "cntrl alt delete" themselfves in the name of God. ...
Yet without evil there'd be no martyrs. God moves in mysterious ways ... who are you to second guess Him.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #37
JBKlyde
Banned

Can the pot say to the potter why did you create me like this.. dose the potter not have the right to make some pots for noble purposes and some to just crush???
Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #38
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

did someone mention pot?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #39
monster
I hear them call the tide

potentially
Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #40
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
Can the pot say to the potter why did you create me like this.. dose the potter not have the right to make some pots for noble purposes and some to just crush???
Sweetheart, that's not really the pot talking, you know. Well not the ceramic pot anyway. Pots can't talk. They don't have vocal chords or tongues. Do you think you might enjoy a nice lie down?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Hang on, is this about Voldemog?
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #42
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I just wanted to see how long it would take him to go from actually answering a question to answering a question with a question. It took only one iteration: his shit is weak.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #43
JBKlyde
Banned

It's not weak it's just that God gave us the Bible to Learn from and your twisting it like you have the right to rewright it. I choose not to enguage any further into that cokkamania.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #44
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Dude, the bible is a collection of the folk legends of ancient middle-eastern tribes, nothing more. It is interesting from a cultural anthropological point of view, but taking it as literally true is nuts.

Don't you dare dispute this. This post is a revelation from the almighty. And because this post tells you this post is a revelation from the almighty, you'd better not question it. Got it?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #45
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Loves The Cellar. You never know what you're going to get. I was hoping for a discussion of deBecker's The Gift of Fear.
http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php...34r#post297634