The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

In order to vote, you must be a US Citizen. People born in the US are citizens by default, and should be able to speak English. Naturalized citizens must show proficiency in English as part of their citizenship requirements.

There is no reason to print ballots in multiple languages.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #32
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Cool! Wohin in Deutschland werden Sie gehen? Some people leave their heart in San Francisco; I left mine in München.
I have to decide between München, Berlin and Stüttgart. Any advice?
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #33
warch
lurkin old school

Yes, we value our immigrant bootstraps, right?

So is it cost effective to have informed citizens, informed voters? ...realizing that legal immigrants, US citizens might have various levels of English language fluency at any moment, is it worth the money to make sure they can better understand the issues they are voting on, or maybe know what immunizations to get for their kids in public school? Its sounds to me like a question of equal access.

I support the public funding of ballot translations not only on the grounds of access but also on the grounds of a good investment in a more informed group of voters. I dont think it discourages the learning of English, even if those kids will still need to translate for grandma. It helps engage new immigrants more immediately in a larger community.

We also have a lot of Hmong citizens around here that are exempt from the English proficiency requirement- such that it is, mostly due to their old age and dedication to the US during Vietnam. Hmong translations are found for most public documents.

Last edited by warch; 05-24-2005 at 04:10 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:58 PM   #34
SmurfAbuser
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123

why is it chic to ridicule americans who only speak english? because they can't speak spanish? they are in an english speaking culture, why should they have to learn a second or third language so they can communicate to someone in their own country?

americans who only speak one language (english) in america = lazy, stupid, ethnocentric
Sure, people who come to the US from Mexico should learn to speak English. I don't think anyone has an issue with that. I just find it interesting that Americans who go overseas DEMAND that people in other countries speak English--that's why we're often called lazy, stupid and ethnocentric. I've done a fair amount of traveling, and it blows my mind how often I see Americans get frustrated and/or pissed off because someone in France, Russia or China can't speak English. When I was in Germany I once saw saw an American question a merchant as to why he didn't take AMERICAN DOLLARS. I wanted to hide under a rock.

Should people who move to other countries learn the language? YUP, regardless of who they are and where they're coming from.
SmurfAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 PM   #35
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
In order to vote, you must be a US Citizen. People born in the US are citizens by default, and should be able to speak English. Naturalized citizens must show proficiency in English as part of their citizenship requirements.

There is no reason to print ballots in multiple languages.
There are a lot of requirements to be able to vote.

Speaking English isn't one of them.

What about a deaf person? Required? Oh, read English. Blind person? Disenfranchised? Special cases you say? What about understanding? Comprehension? What level of knowledge is required?

I think this whole thing STINKS of "I'm in, now let's slam the door, before I have to share with those icky others".

We have so many people for whom English fluency is not the reason they don't vote, it's a shame. Why then should we place obstacles in the way of people who do care enough to vote?

This is self correcting by the way. There is no one involved enough and cares enough to vote in this country that also thinks that they should not learn English. Somebody that motivated is gonna learn some English too.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #36
busterb
NSABFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Eloquently stated.
English is the national language of the United States of America. Immigrants should be encouraged to learn this language, to better co-exist with the rest of us.
By the same logic, perhaps we Americans should learn other languages, familiarize ourselves with other cultures, in order to better co-exist with them?

Busterb, what do you think?
- Pie
This is true, but not at the expence of having more lazy bastards on the Gov. pay rolls. Do you by chance think that when I was working overseas, I had an interpreter working with me? The boss had one, but he was busy grave robbing. While in Sumarta, We had one guy that each morning he would teach you a new word and you him. Our driver carried me to family weddings & to his hut. I also had to convert to Islam to marry. Think maybe I became familiar enough with their ways?

Last edited by busterb; 05-24-2005 at 08:44 PM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #37
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Eloquently stated.
English is the national language of the United States of America.
No. This is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Immigrants should be encouraged to learn this language, to better co-exist with the rest of us.
Yes, this is right. But only if both want to and only as far as both parties want to.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:11 PM   #38
warch
lurkin old school

Anyone here grow up in the US with a home language other than English?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #39
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

My son, he's deaf. Doesn't speak English. Home language SEE sign and ASL
Old 05-24-2005, 05:28 PM   #40
busterb
NSABFD

Pie. "No, it wasn't unique. I took Spanish and German. Russian, Italian, Latin, Greek and French were also offered". One thing for sure you didn't go to school in the south in the 50s and 60s.
One thing that crosses my mind is how long before some egghead in DC, thinks we need new road signs? in 25 flavors.
Of course the international road sigs are a 1/2 ass flop. And metric system, god how can a dumb american handle units of 10 OMG.
Some places you go overseas they just give you an international DL., if you have a current one. Not Germany. In army we had to take the same test as anyone. Working with blueprints overseas, you can forget the inches & feet.

Last edited by busterb; 05-24-2005 at 06:21 PM. Reason: sp
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:06 PM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
My son, he's deaf. Doesn't speak English. Home language SEE sign and ASL
Is your son illiterate, or do you expect him to be so when older?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
The biggest plus to Canada's approach is keeping their country together as a single unit, instead of breaking it in two and creating strong cultural boundaries. I think Canadians would tell you that their cultural diversity is a plus.
I have some cousins from Ontario that would like to confer with you....in the alley.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 AM   #43
Kitsune
still eats dirt

why is it chic to ridicule americans who only speak english?

More importantly, I was actually trying to figure out why anyone would be upset to see NOAA weather in Spanish. Is there really anything wrong with that?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #44
busterb
NSABFD

I guess nothing but the fact that they can't even get it right in english.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #45
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Is your son illiterate, or do you expect him to be so when older?
No, he is not. Naturally I do not expect him to become illiterate later.

As a matter of fact, ElderSonofV has been accepted into the Honors Program at Gallaudet University, including a Merit scholarship and a Presidential scholarship. We are extremely proud of him.

But literacy is not a function of English fluency.

The English, the whole English, and nothing but the English, is at best, short sighted. Like any monoculture, there are great opportunities for economies of scale, but with proportionally great risks. Language is a medium of exchange of ideas, infomation. Having one medium only necessarily inhibits that exchange.

Your car's engine communicates it's power to the wheels through the transmission. But you don't just drive around in your favorite gear, do you? What about shifting? Your retirement fund grows your future wealth through your investment choices. You would choose only XYZ, Inc, though, would you? What about diversification? Your body is nourished by what your put in it, and your mind by what you put in it. You wouldn't eat only one food or read only the cellar, right?

Variety is the spice of life. Diversity is good. Vive le difference!