The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #436
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

What do you mean dyslexia is a disease for the intelligent? I had no idea it was so selective. I'd be interested to see some facts to back that statement up.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #437
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Actually dyslexia is a disease for the intelligent.
Sorry rk, my Bullshit detector just went off like a foghorn.

The only relationship between intelligence and dyslexia is that there is no relationship.

Dyslexia is not linked to intelligence. You can have a high IQ and be dyslexic...and you can be thick as the preverbial swine stool and be dyslexic. The ability to learn to read and/or spell, is likewise not linked to intelligence. Someone with disablingly low IQ, may well acquire their reading skills with prodigious speed...they may have low comprehension of what they're reading, but they may well read highly competantly. By the same token, there are many people with high IQ's and highly developed comprehension skils for whom learning to read is a serious challenge, and for whom reading (and spelling) may always be problematic.

[eta]: for those who haven't really come across dyslexia, beyond what is apparent in popular culture, the condition is a good deal more complex than 'word blindness'. It can affect such things as the ability to read a clock, a map, road signs...or it may not. It can affect organisational skills (time-keeping, organising a work folder, sequencing actions)...to lesser or greater degrees. It can affect reading, without affecting writing, or it can affect both. It affects how long the visually accessed written word will stay in the memory(think about reading something from a blackboard and transcribing it to a page in front of you) and when affecting reading, or spelling there are often key letter combinations which regularly cause problems. It's also closely associated (and there is much cross-over between the two) with dyspraxia, more commonly known as 'clumsy child syndrome'.

Dyslexics are often very creative people. I am not sure why, my reading on the subject wasn't detailed enough to get to the nitty-gritty of the brain's workings. But I assume it's because their brains process information slightly differently and they often sequence things slightly differently to non-dyslexics.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-20-2007 at 09:16 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #438
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
I should make one, and for ad homonym (sp?)
Wow. You still don't know your spelling error. The wrong letters entirely. Let's spell it properly again.

ad· homi·nem·

This is not an indicator of Dyslexia.

You know what? I like you RK. You started the name calling in this very thread that you don't remember me being a part of. Do you really smoke that much pot?

When you have any grievance with anyone you immediately get petty. I've done this to people and I force myself to apologize because I've been wrong. Do you have no conscience?

And- I'm not going to take definitions from someone that doesn't even know how to have a conversation or connect with other people. I have friends just like you. You squawk and squawk and poop, leaving everyone else to clean up your crap. One of my good friends is also exhibiting this behavior by stirring up issues on a bulletin board and not even listening when people are in complete agreement. He posts controversial crap constantly and doesn't even check the responses to his newest complaint. He's being a human troll, and I'm not going to bother with him anymore either. He's become someone that has a complete inability to communicate. He's become a walking billboard of current issues, and any act of real communication is futile anymore. He's become the human embodiement of a troll. See, when people do this in person people give up then too. How do you expect to get away with it here? Did you already forget that people were here for you while you were in the hospital? Or was I tail-posting in that thread too? Was offering support another unoriginal idea that I had? Screw you. And it's not just me. You do this to everyone.

Start paying some attention to what other people are saying.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #439
DanaC

From Langmaker http://www.langmaker.com/db/Ad_homonym

Quote:
ad homonym adj. ad homophone [Note: on analogy with "ad hominem".] Appealing to feelings and appreciation of puns, jokes, word-play, and jargon rather than intellect: witty.

Coined By: Nick Kalivoda

Retrieved from "http://www.langmaker.com/db/Ad_homonym"
*smiles*
Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #440
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Damn it Dana!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #441
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You can have a high IQ and be dyslexic...and you can be thick as the preverbial swine stool and be dyslexic.
Really? Swine stool is proverbial? No wonder we admire your wonderful British lexicon.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #442
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Really? Swine stool is proverbial? No wonder we admire your wonderful British lexicon.
Proverbial doesn't just mean 'from a proverb,' man. It can also mean 'widely referred to.' So "He's dumb as the proverbial box of rocks" is correct usage. As is swine stool, if swine stool is a common measure of intelligence.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM   #443
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thick as swine stool, is NOT proverbial, in the United States.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #444
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Thick as swine stool, is NOT proverbial, in the United States.
Ah, I get it. You were poking fun at the phrase being used frequently. I thought you were correcting usage. Check.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #445
rkzenrage

Dana and Cice... always good to see your true colors.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:07 AM   #446
DanaC

Bruce, I was being facetious. For swine stool, read pigshit:P

@ rk, wtf you talking about? True colours? You made a very silly statement about dyslexia. I happen to know a bit about dyslexia and corrected the statement.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #447
rkzenrage

Of course, that's all you said... how silly of me, no insults or personal attacks in your post?
LOL!
Old 10-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #448
DanaC

I said my bullshit detector went off. That's the extent of any so-called attack. I called you out on something about which you were mistaken (and using said mistake within an attack on somebody else). Remember you said (somewhere) that you admit when you are wrong and somebody points it out to you?

Showing your true colours again are you rk?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #449
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Well, I also questioned the statement about dyslexic people being intelligent.

rkz, do you have any reference for your statement at all because if so I'd love to see it. I'm seriously doubtful that there could be such a thing although I have no doubt that some people with dyslexia are very intelligent and can achieve great things if and when their problem is identified. In fact, there is one member of my family who has dyslexia and he was a brilliant honours student and now helps design weapons to kill people with. There are other members of the family who have similar problems and they're definitely not einstines in any way even though they're definitely not as thick as swine stool either.

I just don't believe your statement due to my own personal experience and also academic research.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #450
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Bruce, I was being facetious. For swine stool, read pigshit:P
I know you were, but what a wonderful description. Something colorful and descriptive, I've come to expect from Brits.