The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #466
Wickedly_Tasteful
What do you want? A cookie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
WTF? Translation plz?
You know of living in make believe land
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #467
Pie
Gone and done

Rich... :sob: Corinthian! leather.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #468
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

SNL - Retardo Mentalblock.
Does anyone have a video of that. Guess the younger dwellars don't remember this skit - oh well.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #469
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Ricardo Montalbon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
R.I.P. Patrick McGoohan
I liked them both. Sorry to see them go.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #470
Pie
Gone and done

Goodbye, John Mortimer.
Quote:
John Mortimer, barrister, author, playwright and creator of Horace Rumpole, the cunning defender of the British criminal classes, has died, according to his publisher at Viking, Tony Lacey. He was 85 years old.
Mr. Mortimer is known best in this country for creating the Rumpole character, an endearing and enduring relic of the British legal system who became a television hero of the courtroom comedy.
Thank you for all you've done, not the least of which was defending the Sex Pistols in a landmark obscenity case, along with many other free-speech cases. And for creating "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

You will be missed.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #471
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Mortimer's autobiography Clinging to the Wreckage was the book I always used to take to interviews (either that or Orwell's Homage to Catalonia) because I could dip in and out of it and always find comfort.

It was so named because of something he once heard from a sailor who had never learned to swim. Apparently, many sailors drown because they are tempted to swim to shore after a shipwreck. The deceptive proximity of the land masks dangers such as undertow (not The Undertoad) rocks, cold, tides and sheer exhaustion. The survivors are usually those who are found clinging to the wreckage. And that's what Mortimers says is his philosophy - hold on, it might get better.

Mortimer defended not only the Sex Pistols but also Lady Chatterley's Lover and Oz magazine (the schoolkid's issue - infamous in its time, see Michael Palin's Diaries for example). I have a feeling he also defended Last Exit to Brooklyn in an obscenity trial, but I'm not 100% confident *

It surprised me, reading Clinging..., to find he had written a film that scared the life out of me at 16 and resonates with me still. It was called Bunny Lake is Missing - the daughter of an American woman, newly arrived in London goes missing, but there is apparently no record of her, and the mother is disbelieved to the point she thinks she is going mad. No Michelle Pfeiffer heroics, just a creepy, gloomy London and a woman slowly unravelling. Magic.

I have lost my copy of Clinging, but I have it with me still. Only yesterday, when my Mum was watching a black and white war film, I asked, "Is Richard Attenborough having the screaming ab-dabs in the bottom of a boat?" which was something Mortimer said happened in every film of that generation (except he called him Dickie). Mum laughed, assuming I was familiar with the genre, so I didn't acknowledge him. I will do in future.

I am very sorry at his passing. Like Peter Cook, he leaves a space which his talent, his skill and his personality occupied. Unlike Cook he also leaves kindness, love and gentle humour in the memory of those who admired and respected him.

*ETA - reading the various obituaries online I should have gone with my first instincts. Of course he defended Last Exit - it was one of his landmark cases. It would have been in his book as well, just that I hadn't heard of it at the time. Also the (unconscious) reason that made me so eager to read it last year/ year before - it was chosen by another of my heroes, Steve Pemberton, as the book of the 20th century. So the combination of the two of them really nailed it for me.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-16-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #472
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

W.D. Snodgrass - Heart's Needle was a landmark.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #473
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Number 6: Where am I?
Number 2: In the Village.
Number 6: What do you want?
Number 2: We want information.
Number 6: Whose side are you on?
Number 2: That would be telling. We want information... information... information.
Number 6: You won't get it.
Number 2: By hook or by crook, we will.
Number 6: Who are you?
Number 2: The new Number 2.
Number 6: Who is Number 1?
Number 2: You are Number 6.
Number 6: I am not a number, I am a free man.

R.I.P. Patrick McGoohan
Don't you mean to say, "Be seeing you."
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #474
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Mortimer's autobiography Clinging to the Wreckage was the book I always used to take to interviews (either that or Orwell's Homage to Catalonia) because I could dip in and out of it and always find comfort.

It was so named because of something he once heard from a sailor who had never learned to swim. Apparently, many sailors drown because they are tempted to swim to shore after a shipwreck. The deceptive proximity of the land masks dangers such as undertow (not The Undertoad) rocks, cold, tides and sheer exhaustion. The survivors are usually those who are found clinging to the wreckage. And that's what Mortimers says is his philosophy - hold on, it might get better.

Mortimer defended not only the Sex Pistols but also Lady Chatterley's Lover and Oz magazine (the schoolkid's issue - infamous in its time, see Michael Palin's Diaries for example). I have a feeling he also defended Last Exit to Brooklyn in an obscenity trial, but I'm not 100% confident *

It surprised me, reading Clinging..., to find he had written a film that scared the life out of me at 16 and resonates with me still. It was called Bunny Lake is Missing - the daughter of an American woman, newly arrived in London goes missing, but there is apparently no record of her, and the mother is disbelieved to the point she thinks she is going mad. No Michelle Pfeiffer heroics, just a creepy, gloomy London and a woman slowly unravelling. Magic.

I have lost my copy of Clinging, but I have it with me still. Only yesterday, when my Mum was watching a black and white war film, I asked, "Is Richard Attenborough having the screaming ab-dabs in the bottom of a boat?" which was something Mortimer said happened in every film of that generation (except he called him Dickie). Mum laughed, assuming I was familiar with the genre, so I didn't acknowledge him. I will do in future.

I am very sorry at his passing. Like Peter Cook, he leaves a space which his talent, his skill and his personality occupied. Unlike Cook he also leaves kindness, love and gentle humour in the memory of those who admired and respected him.

*ETA - reading the various obituaries online I should have gone with my first instincts. Of course he defended Last Exit - it was one of his landmark cases. It would have been in his book as well, just that I hadn't heard of it at the time. Also the (unconscious) reason that made me so eager to read it last year/ year before - it was chosen by another of my heroes, Steve Pemberton, as the book of the 20th century. So the combination of the two of them really nailed it for me.
Nice post SG!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #475
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Cheers Merc!

Not really bummed out, but would like to mention the passing of Tony Hart - who provided hours of televisual pleasure across the years of my childhood.

I never had the ability to reproduce any of his projects, but because my Dad did (have the ability AND sometimes make the things when he had time) I associate Hart with benevolence and twinkly eyed humour.

We're losing men in their 80s at the moment. My Grandad is older than Postgate, Mortimer and Hart. I worry a little.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #476
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

John Updike passed away this morning.

R.I.P. Rabbit.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #477
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

I wasn't really that bothered at the time, but after seeing The Dark Knight I was kinda bummed out about the death of Heath Ledger. The guy could hella act.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #478
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I liked Heath Ledger as an actor, but I thought that movie suxored hugely! That motorcycle was teh ghey too.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #479
lookout123
changed his status to single

yep. movie sucked but incredible work by Ledger as the Joker.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #480
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

I liked it, but I think it failed in that Bateman's gravelly Batman voice just made me want to laugh, and that despite the Joker being an incredibly psychotic killer, I still ended rooting for him over the 'good guys'.

Note to directors: making people like the bad guys, when you are not aiming at creating a 1990s style sociopathic 'hero', is generally not a good sign.

Then again, it could have been worse. At least they didn't base it on Frank Miller's latest Batman comic series.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....