The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM   #4816
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

You ok, Juni? We've had to have dogs put down. It's a really hard decision to make.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #4817
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512 View Post
Complementary angles add up to 90 degrees. So L + M = 90.

(14x+7) + (20x+15) = 90

simplify. solve for x.
How do you know it isn't (14X + 7X) + (20X + 15X) = 90? Or (14 + 7X) + (20 + 15X) = 90?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
I have to put a cat down. You know what I mean.
Condolences, Juni.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 AM   #4818
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Aww Juni *hugs* so sorry to hear that. You ok honey?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 AM   #4819
Tulip
Professor

This isn't anirritation but more like sadness. I can't find a "What's making you sad today" thread so I decided to put it in this thread. I just found out tonight that a friend's mom is going to die soon. Her health has been going downhill, of course, the family still had hoped she can pull through. The doctor just called and said she won't be able to recover at all. She has a rampant infection going on and some blood clots in her arm. When those clots dislodge, she will go under cardiac arrest. The doctor told the family to meet with him tomorrow and to bring the mom's living will. She has been on the ventilator for almost 3 weeks. She also has been heavily sedated because of the pain. As soon as I got my friend's email, I called him to give him some comforting words. However, he gave me comforting words instead because I couldn't stop crying. I'm actually worried about the father too. They have been married for 49 years. Imagine losing a spouse after 49 years of being together.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #4820
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Sorry to hear about that Tulip. Hang in there.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #4821
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I won't even have the opportunity to spend that long with my someone. I think it will be extremely difficult, but they were VERY fortunate to have had that much time together.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #4822
lookout123
changed his status to single

We're having issues with LL's teacher. I understand it is a taxing, underappreciated, and underpaid job, but it is a job. do your fucking job cockwhore. Her answer to everything is "oh he'll probably be fine. oh he didn't score well on the test? just give him easier books."

lazy bitch is trying to get him to test at nearly a year under what he was doing LAST year because it is easier than getting to the root of the problem. he is having trouble taking his comprehension tests during class "free time" when people are running around. he got 5 out of 10 right on a book he knew inside and out and he's pretty upset about it. she had him take it at 3:00 at a computer next to the exit door while other kids streamed out for a 3 day weekend and interrupted him to make sure he knew i was waiting for him.

we acknowledge l LL has to learn to overcome and cope with his ADD issues but let's not make it harder for the kid.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #4823
monster
I hear them call the tide

What happens based on the score of this test?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #4824
classicman

The rest of his academic career is based upon the opinions of his current teachers. I learned that shit the hard way. Fuggers!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #4825
monster

right, but apparently her opinion is that his results in this test aren't overly worrying.

From a complete stranger's POV, my concern would not be about the test results as much as LL's being upset about it. Why so much pressure on such a young child? Or rather why is he feeling so much pressure? If the stress is exacerbated by his ADD, maybe reduced testing should be part of his IEP.

L123 is absolutely right to be upset about this, and my question is how to turn it into something not upsetting, something positive for the future. I'm not entirely sure the teacher isn't doing her job -although the testing by the door situation seems a bit odd to say the least... but maybe she was just trying to reassure LL that it really wasn't a big deal by putting him in a quiet room on his own so he wouldn't feel so stressed and that just backfired due to the presence of L123 outside and the interfering nature of other kids?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #4826
classicman

I read it as though the teacher just wants to dumb down the curriculum so that LL can pass and she doesn't have to do any more work. What LL NEEDS is more attention and a quite test-taking environment.

That was my take. But hell we all know what my opinion is worth. :<
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #4827
monster

Does he need a test-taking environment at all is my question? Why is this testing being done, why is it being done differently from the other kids and most importantly why is it causing LL stress? I'm sorry it's pissing L123 off, but I'm even sorrier that it's stressing LL.

I think we're talking bout different things -you're talking about the teacher's attitude generally -and i agree with your interpretation of L123's description- whereas I am talking about the one test that is the catalyst of this particular upset. If that can be addressed, maybe it can form a good starting point from which to address other issues.

But I understand this is really the venting rather than problem solution thread, so I'll stfu now.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #4828
monster

I can't even begin on what's upsetting me today, but it's long, complex, unpleasant, going to involve shitloads of paperwork and it's emotionally stressful for me, I've actually cried over this shit today....(but in mitigations it's that time).....and then someone just emailed with a request for info that with require similar work for acrimonious divorce proceedings. I could just say no, but it sounds like she needs all the help she can get and as I have to go through all the records anyway.... maybe the good karma of helping her will help me. Of perhaps I'll just end up in the middle of more unpleasantness. What is it they say about the road to hell? Needless to say I'm procrastinating as usual and have pissed my day away again.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #4829
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #4830
Juniper
I know, right?

I got a similar response from my son's teacher today, but I have to admit, in this case, it was a relief. He's struggling, but really it's his own damn fault - he's a brilliant kid but as the saying goes "is not working up to potential." Does dumb things like forget to turn in homework, doesn't study for tests, doesn't write things in his agenda, forgets to have me sign things like log sheets, practice sheets, forgets to put his name on things.

Teacher and I agreed it is probably just a maturity issue (he's a June baby, probably should've been held back, if I knew then what I know now . . . . ) and he will get it one of these days so we should just be happy with B's and C's as long as he's learning. It goes against my instinct - but I agree, at least to some extent. Pick your battles.

So we have devised this plan - he earns $10 for every report card A, as long as he gets nothing under 70. He didn't make it this quarter. Also if he gets under 70 on 2nd quarter report card, all extracurriculars are canceled.

About the cat -- she is still with us. Vet appointment tomorrow. Don't know what the result will be. I don't know what to do about this cat. She's 19 and looks terribly scroungy, but she still gets around fine, has a great appetite, etc. Only problem is that, though she uses the litter box, she has a habit of peeing on the floor by the litter boxes and in my son's room. And we think, also, on the couch, on anything left on the floor, papers, towels, clothes, shoes, school bags, occasionally in my office, etc. We have to smell everything before we use it and that is REALLY getting old.

Still, it's hard. She's my mom's cat. I inherited her when mom died, and I promised my mom we'd take good care of her. I've never had to put a cat down that wasn't already obviously on its way out and just needed a little help hastening the process. This feels a bit too arbitrary.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss