DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Oh fuck

and I am glad your desk is as messy as mine
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #497
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Teehee...my desk is always covered in things because I like having everything at hand instantly...I have a shot of the setup of my desk at college...every drawer pulled out in sucession with lots and lots of things piled all around...with all my beads at hand so I could get to them easily ..

Edit: Still cleaning up beads, btw.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #498
glatt

I accidentally caused someone's computer account to be deleted at work yesterday. He came in to work this morning to find he couldn't login. He's kind of important too.

oops.

To fix it, I had to acknowledge my mistake to an entire department, and put in the request to get it fixed.

All because I clicked a millimeter higher on the screen than I should have. And then didn't catch my mistake when I proofed it later.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #499
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Don't feel bad, glatt. At a company I once worked for, the IT guys were migrating the email system, and only thought they had properly replicated everything over before they deleted all the old accounts.

Oh, and then they found out they'd been doing email backups wrong for for three-plus years. There was nothing to restore from.

Over a hundred employees, 100% of their email accounts lost. All emails, all contacts in the addressbooks, everything. But nobody was fired!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #500
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Oh, and then they found out they'd been doing email backups wrong for for three-plus years. There was nothing to restore from.
From Computer Stupidities:
Quote:
Customer: "What do you mean, other tape? When it said second volume, I just hit enter again."
Quote:
• Tech Support: "Do you have a valid backup?"
• Customer: "Yes, of course."
• Tech Support: "When you came this morning, was anything printed out on the printer?"
• Customer: "Yes."
• Tech Support: "And what did it say?"
• Customer: "Just like it says every day"
• Tech Support: "Would you mind reading that off to me?"
• Customer: "Error XX: Backup Operation Failed."
Quote:
We have a customer with tons of data produced every day. They insisted on backing up the stuff themselves, though they had a maintenance contract with our company. Anyway, one of their administrators put a DAT tape into the drive every night and removed it the next morning, labelled it, and stored it in a closet. One day the disk crashed. They called us because they couldn't restore the data from tape for some reason. It turned out that although they did put a tape in every night, remove it every morning, label it, and store it, what they forgot to do was run the backup script. They had a year's supply of backup tapes, neatly dated, and all of them empty.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #501
glatt

Quote:
Don't feel bad, glatt.
I feel bad, but I'm also a little amused by it. Conflicting feelings. I can see the humor in the mistake. I'd feel totally fine if I heard from the guy that he's cool with it. I left him a voice mail, but he hasn't called back. Probably won't.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #502
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
It was supposed to be these potato-pancake things (officially called llapingachos, traditionally from Ecuador. I was originally searching for a recipe for latkes, but these looked easier.) I have never successfully made anything that required frying, I don't know why I keep attempting it.
frying is (obviously) very temperature sensitive.

Too hot == burned outside and/or raw inside.

too cold == soggy oily yuck.

Good tools (Cast iron for pan frying, bigger is better, deep fryer for deep frying duh, bigger helps here too) make a world of diifference.

my pancakes are fried, technically. the first batch... for the dog.
then after the skillet gets to the sweet spot of hotness and oilyness... the just work for the rest of the bowl of batter.

Deep frying... I have a problem with that too, since I'm impatient and try to load up the fryer/pan with too much cold food and it chills the oil too much. It's hard. It's extra hard to do in tiny batches.

don't give up.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #503
glatt

I was watching one of those cooking shows over the weekend, and they were doing a thing on fried foods, and spent a lot of time obsessing about how the temperature of the oil has to be perfect. They had a thermometer and they calculated the volume of oil needed so there wouldn't be too large a drop in temp when the food was added.

Apparently, it's pretty complicated.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #504
Flint
Snowflake

There's one way of showing how to do something where you make it as easy as possible to understand, and there's another way where you make it pretty much impossible to understand, so that what you're doing appears so much more difficult than it is, and therefore you appear to be some kind of expert for knowing how to do it correctly.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #505
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I'm unhappy because Lumberjim doesn't think I'm funny.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #506
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
Yeah I just finished that pack about two minutes before I knocked over the container...and they're all nearly the same color too
That's a bitch. Why not buy them pre-sorted?

I am also a beader. Now I need to know what kind of beadwork you do, along with any other particulars ... you a stringer, loomer, or off-loomer?

(me, off loom, mainly peyote)

To avoid similar catastrophies, I try not to use multiple-slot bead containers, unless they are something larger, like crow beads or the big dangly bits for finishings.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #507
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I am also a beader. Now I need to know what kind of beadwork you do, along with any other particulars ... you a stringer, loomer, or off-loomer?

I thought peyote came in "buttons" ... not "beads" ... ???

Old 09-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #508
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'm not a beader per se, but am beading a stole I am knitting. I have found the ideal container to hold the beads that I need to dip into now and again with a crochet hook - an old inkwell. Designed and made to be not-knock-over-able. Fantastic (and it used to belong to my grandfather, too!).
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #509
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
That's a bitch. Why not buy them pre-sorted?

To avoid similar catastrophies, I try not to use multiple-slot bead containers, unless they are something larger, like crow beads or the big dangly bits for finishings.
I started making jewelery...my ankles are a bit larger than the size 0's that live around here so I can hardly ever find jewelery to fit my ankles/wrists. My mom really liked what I was making, so she tried it, and makes jewelery now too (her style is very different though). We have so much fun making them that now we've got tons more than we'd ever need, and are trying to get around to selling them (I've sold a few through work already, and so has she.)

Buying them unsorted makes the cost of making a bracelet/anklet about $0.25 for me, including the labor of sorting the beads. So I can sell them around $2.00 or $3.00 and buy nicer beads for the next batch.

I've got a few of those separate containers, and they're very nice but they're a lot more expensive than these small boxes. Also, I'd love to learn other ways of using the beads, those loom thingies look pretty neat.
Also Also, knitting is cool, but I'd definitley need to learn from a person, not a book. (and I don't know any persons who knit.)
Old 09-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #510
Griff
still says videotape

And now having revealed this, you'll have to post your art on its own thread.

Tags
swiss